No More Bikes For A While...

redkow97

If you've paid close attention to my posts, this may already have been obvious, but the wife and I are expecting a baby in January. 

Our families have known for a fee weeks, but as of yesterday, it's up on Facebook and no longer 'secret.'

I'm psyched to meet the crumb-grabber, but probably won't be getting another big bike for the foreseeable future. The time and expense just doesn't add up.  I'll still be racing the XR as often as possible, but the combo of not working steadily, and $600/month in student loan payments coming due means no bike for now. 

Hopefully things change when I land a cushy job. Ha. 

• Upvote 1

Congrads dude, I know the feeling. 

Raced the first weekend this year and decided I needed to make a few decisions with an unforeseen massive layoff through my department at work and baby on the way.  I got lucky, have the bike and everything to race, but the actual costs just don't add up right now.  I'd like to get one more weekend in sometime before the season is over and think once I know my job is safe and everything is good with our baby I will.

Trust me when I say the time from now until then will FLY by.  We're 4 weeks out from due date and I can't believe it's almost here.  Enjoy the heck out of the time you two have together now.

congrats! babies are fun when they're not yours. i love my niece, and while i look forward to having one of my own one day, i'm also dreading it. i don't know why people are so against anal sex.

• Upvote 1

congrats! babies are fun when they're not yours. i love my niece, and while i look forward to having one of my own one day, i'm also dreading it. i don't know why people are so against anal sex.

As childish as it sounds, I'm just not really into sticking my dick where poop comes out. I feel like I would have to scrub myself down for hours after.

Babies are the number one way of turning your toys into disposable diapers.

I dunno, I bought more toys after little dude was born. :dunno:

Granted I don't have as much time to ride them now, but that'll change. 

Well, I must have gotten some good karma by making my post, because I just got hired for a 6-week project :-)

That certainly takes the sting out of the loan payments.   I'll have a big bike again after I have a salary.  The idea is to get something for the street that I can still track and race if I want to.  I'm leaning toward SV650, or an early to mid 90's Honda or Kawasaki.  If the right deal comes along, I would do a bandit 600 or katana.

the SV is obviously a LWT bike, but the older 600's are still plenty fast (i'd probably gear it down for street use), and I can race vintage, and 600 classes with MotoSeries or WERA.  I will definitely get motored on the straights, but I think I could pick off some of the newer racers on more modern machines, and maybe make Craig cry by keeping him in sight on a comparably archaic machine.

I appreciate all the congratulations.

another 6 weeks or so until we find out the sex.  I honestly have no preference, as long as he or she takes an interest in the PW50 I will have in the garage before he/she is potty trained.

I'll have a big bike again after I have a salary.  The idea is to get something for the street that I can still track and race if I want to.  I'm leaning toward SV650, or an early to mid 90's Honda or Kawasaki.  If the right deal comes along, I would do a bandit 600 or katana.

the SV is obviously a LWT bike, but the older 600's are still plenty fast (i'd probably gear it down for street use), and I can race vintage, and 600 classes with MotoSeries or WERA.  I will definitely get motored on the straights, but I think I could pick off some of the newer racers on more modern machines, and maybe make Craig cry by keeping him in sight on a comparably archaic machine.

There may be a Suzuki Gladius for sale soon.  Front/rear suspension is already setup.  With the improved motor, I think it would have an advantage over SVs on the track.

I parked my bikes when my Daughter was 8 and did not ride for almost 18 years. Then bought a bike so my Daughter could ride with me when sh was 24. At 26 she decided to give me a Grandson. Now she cannot ride with me anymore. Personally I think riding when you have children under 17 or so is just too dangerous. I opted to be a Dad during that time frame. Children are the greatest gift ever. Good luck on your new ride in life. It goes pretty fast. You blink and they are 25. 

Congrats, saw your bike out racing at nelsons a month ago.

Nice! The F2, or the 600RR?

The kid who bought the RR had only done a couple track days when he bought it. I have him a killer deal throwing in the Warner's and transponder... Hope it treats him well.

Mini racing is both cheap and can scratch the itch. I went almost 10 years without riding from age 30-40. I had a bike or two during that time but had years without one. Very little riding. But my youngest is 12 and oldest is 20. My 18 and 20 year olds both street ride. As a parent I worry but life is partly about fun and who wants to live a boring life, so I just try to train them up. Street riding can suck but I don't own a race track so it can be ok.