Gps - Which One To Get, Pros And Cons

JohnG

I'm a little surprised that I couldn't find a thread on here already about GPS's, I know that quite of few of you use them.  I've seen links posted to routes that look like they could be loaded directly into a device but I'm not at all experienced in how that works and which brand devices have that capability.  Currently, I've used my "poor man's GPS", my smart phone, linked via bluetooth to my Chatterbox headset.  It works ok for short hops around town, but lacks the flexibility to plan routes much in advance.  Plus, I've had less than satisfactory results when I hope my Droid navi finds me some back roads.

So what do you like and why?  I'd like to make a purchase relatively soon and any advice is, as always on here, greatly appreciated.

meh,  I'm wanting to get something a little sooner.  My memory for remembering turn by turns sucks ass anymore and I'd rather enjoy the ride with some computerized bimbo whispering sweet directions in my ears...

Garmin Nuvi 1300 Got mine on sale at best buy for less then $60.00

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Garmin-nuvi-1300-4.3-GPS-Navigator/11008183

Bar mounts I paid less then $4.00 for the one I use

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/motorcycle-bike-handlebar-mount-holder-garmin-nuvi-gps

Power supply  I paid 12.00 for my power supply check around

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Hardwire-Cable-Mini-USB-connector/dp/B001ISXXY8/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_2

http://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Battery-Charging-Cable-Garmin/dp/B00880HN18

water proof case use a zip lock bag

Less then $100.00

Edited by HeavyDuty

I have 2 old Garmin 2720's, hard to beat those old waterproof dinosaurs!!!!

If you're out and about sometime using one, maybe I could check it out?  I've only seen pictures of people's rigs...

I've got a Garmin 650 or 750, can't remember. With the ram mount and power supply it cost me 1/5th what a Zumo would. I just use a freezer bag zip tied around it when it rains

You can use mapquest to send your pre-made routes

I have the Garmin Zumo 350LM.  I figure it costs at least 2 times what it should, but whatever.  I am fairly pleased with it.  It seems to be fast, solid, and reliable.  I have been experimenting a bit with downloading preplanned routes and they seem to work reasonably well.  The most difficult part was figuring out how to make the route I want using the Garmin "Basecamp" software.  I use a Sena Bluetooth headset that gets loud enough for me to hear the GPS even when I'm wearing earplugs.  I don't generally listen to music while riding, but some like the capability of playing music that the Zumo 660/665 have over the 350LM.  It seemed to me that a lot of the trouble people had with the Zumo 660/665 was due to Bluetooth issues between the GPS, music, and telephones.  The 350LM lacks these extra features and seems to be more reliable for it.

All of the motorcycle GPS units are difficult to see in sunlight.  I saw a comparison YouTube video on the Garmin 350LM vs. the Montana and the Montana was clearly better than the 350LM in bright sunlight and probably better than everything else out there.  Then the video disappeared - I figure Garmin made them take it down.  The Montana was just not what I was looking for, but it does seem like the technology is there for improved sunlight readable displays.  It just hasn't worked its way into a motorcycle-specific unit yet.

I've got a refurbished TomTom from Woot but its got no Bluetooth capability or headset jack.

same here, really basic nav. My phone probably works better.

Edited by ReconRat

Garmin FTW! I have used Tom Tom, Garmin and Magelin but the best has been the Garmin. Easy to read quickly, unlike the Tom Tom and is a lot (I mean a TON) more intuitive than Magelins. Garmins also have the feature that shows a realistic picture of the upcoming intersection so you know exactly which lane to be in. 

Hmm...  I've never tried to use the Tom Tom on the bike.  Guess I just assumed that I wouldn't be able to hear it.  Plus, I can't download the routes that other people have posted - or at least I haven't figured out how.

so I'm looking at an older discontinued model Garmin for 50 dollars but it doesn't have a charger or a mount. but it does have bluetooth... not sure its worth it.

I've never owned a GPS but have used one twice in a friends truck, it was a Garmin but not sure what model and probably 4-5 years old.

As soon as I turn it on I have to plug it into the power port so I assume the battery is dead or does the battery just hold your settings while the power is off? My wife and kids want to get me one but not sure yet which one, they are looking at the Garmin Nuvi 50LM bundle at wally world, any input on this one?

Edited by bandit12

I picked up a Garmin Nuvi 765 from eBay a while back for $75. While they don't have all the features of the Zumos, they do have Bluetooth headset capability that allows them to talk to my Sena helmet headset.  Not perfect by any means, but serviceable.

• 3 months later...

BUMP...im starting to look now, i want water proof and bluetooth and it has to work well with gloves on, so far the tomtom rider(1st edition) is the least expensive option that  ive seen

Edited by 2talltim