Gps - Which One To Get, Pros And Cons

JohnG

I've never owned a GPS but have used one twice in a friends truck, it was a Garmin but not sure what model and probably 4-5 years old.

As soon as I turn it on I have to plug it into the power port so I assume the battery is dead or does the battery just hold your settings while the power is off? My wife and kids want to get me one but not sure yet which one, they are looking at the Garmin Nuvi 50LM bundle at wally world, any input on this one?

Battery is shot. Most cheap units will work without a power supply for an hour or so when new but after a few years the battery is shot. Not usually a big deal for autos where there is always a cig adapter.

Ive have a cig adapter on my bike and an older TomTom. I picked up a "water proof" housing and mount on amazon for about $20. I can still use it OK through the housing but it is hard to hit the corners with gloves on. In bright sun the screen can be difficult to see unless at just the right angle. Ofcourse this is a low end unit and I dont have a bluetooth headset so the sound is useless but the unit does the job for cheap when I need it. The case and mount would work for my phone if needed too.

So basically you have a whole range of options from bargain to premium. The more you pay the "better" the unit for motorcycle.

Personally Id probably get a Montana as those work well for off road uses and have a nice screen without being huge.

Craig

Probably putting the cart before the horse but I just ordered the aqua case http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001RTOSRY/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?ie=UTF8&m=A122T64JJB9KPU

Mount right to the tech mount I already have on the bike. Plus I think my phone will also work in this so I'll have more options, probably going to go with the Garmin

Upon further research i found that the garmin nuvi(s) are Bluetooth recievers not transmitters is this correct? So if i want a Bluetooth transmitter (where it sends the directions to my Sena) i will have to get the Tomtom rider or the Garmin Zumo. Can anyone verify this?

I have a garmin nuvi 350 on the bike. Got it solely because it has a headphone jack. $30 off ebay.

I don't want wires. Bought my Sena just for that reason. I actually love the way my phone works with gps and Bluetooth BUT using nav on the phone drains the battery even when plugged in and it sucks to use the screen with gloves on.

Edited by 2talltim

Upon further research i found that the garmin nuvi(s) are Bluetooth recievers not transmitters is this correct? So if i want a Bluetooth transmitter (where it sends the directions to my Sena) i will have to get the Tomtom rider or the Garmin Zumo. Can anyone verify this?

I have the Garmin 2595LMT, and it does not transmit through Bluetooth. It does communicate with the cellphone, but it will not communicate with the Sena. I went with this set up, because it was significantly less expensive than a motorcycle specific GPS.

I have the Garmin 2595LMT, and it does not transmit through Bluetooth. It does communicate with the cellphone, but it will not communicate with the Sena. I went with this set up, because it was significantly less expensive than a motorcycle specific GPS.

Just as I feared... so my options are pay $400 + or find a way to make my phone battery last longer while using nav.

Just as I feared... so my options are pay $400 + or find a way to make my phone battery last longer while using nav.

FWIW, I have the Garmon 2595 mounted on my left clutch reservoir cap using a ram ball mount. When it rains, I use a freezer bag and small piece of duct tape. I have a ram ball mount on the right handle bar that holds my cell phone. I can see both pretty easily while I ride.

I use my phone for music and occasional phone calls. My Sena allows the voicecontrol over the phone's functions. I rarely use my phone for navigation, because it pauses the music coming thru the Sena.

I strictly use the gps for directions. I just occasionally need to look at it. It is located so that I see it before I see my rearview mirror. I don't miss listening to the directions verbally from the gps.

As far as power goes, my gps is hard wired to the battery. On all day trips, I use my auxillary power to charge either my cell phone or my backup Sena blue tooth as needed.

Over some pretty long rides, I have found this set up pretty efficient and cost effective.

Edited by Connie14

Wire up a power port and plug the phone charger into that. That is how I do it. Much rather use my phone, it will Nav and stream pandora or play mp3's from my SD card.

Wire up a power port and plug the phone charger into that. That is how I do it. Much rather use my phone, it will Nav and stream pandora or play mp3's from my SD card.

I already have a power port on my bike. The problem is while using gps, Bluetooth, nav, mp3, and display all at once the charger still can't keep up. I have a 2amp charger maybe I should try the 3.1 amp one.

I already have a power port on my bike. The problem is while using gps, Bluetooth, nav, mp3, and display all at once the charger still can't keep up. I have a 2amp charger maybe I should try the 3.1 amp one.

Mine won't keep up unless I use an 'official' charger for the phone, and then it actually runs it and charges it slowly. Cheap off brand ones won't cut it, the battery runs down.

Mine won't keep up unless I use an 'official' charger for the phone, and then it actually runs it and charges it slowly. Cheap off brand ones won't cut it, the battery runs down.

Yup mine is an good one, the cheap ones don't even last a few hours. The key is getting one that says charging with AC when plugged in. Even then the amperage makes a huge difference.

Now if I turn the display off and just use the voice navigation it will actually charge. I think what it is with automatic brightness setting when its in the Sun all day long is trying to keep itself as bright as possible and there's no way for to keep up. I have noticed a few times while riding at night with the GPS on it will just barely maintain, but I'm assuming that's with the screen at its dimmest setting which does no good during the day because you can't see it anyway

Edited by 2talltim

Ok here is what i decided, ive already ordered the Aqua Box which will work with my phone. And im going to also use a couple older GPS units that i have laying around the house(for now).  Now what i want to find is a USB port i can mount somewhere on my bike that puts out 3.1 amps (that will free up my power outlet and give it cleaner look)and a usb micro to mini 90 deg adapter(for my older gps units). Eventually i want to pick up a nicer Garmin unit but i want to get a feel for how not haveing the voice nav is going to work out for me. 

Ok here is what i decided, ive already ordered the Aqua Box which will work with my phone. And im going to also use a couple older GPS units that i have laying around the house(for now).  Now what i want to find is a USB port i can mount somewhere on my bike that puts out 3.1 amps (that will free up my power outlet and give it cleaner look)and a usb micro to mini 90 deg adapter(for my older gps units). Eventually i want to pick up a nicer Garmin unit but i want to get a feel for how not haveing the voice nav is going to work out for me.

Not sure what year your C14 is. My 2008 has an unused spot on the left side of the instrumental cluster that is symmetrically opposite your auxiliary power outlet. Last year on the Concours Owners Group website forums, someone mounted a USB power outlet in that unused spot. I made a brief search on the forum, but I didn't immediately find the posting. It wouldn't be too hard to do.

Not sure what year your C14 is. My 2008 has an unused spot on the left side of the instrumental cluster that is symmetrically opposite your auxiliary power outlet. Last year on the Concours Owners Group website forums, someone mounted a USB power outlet in that unused spot. I made a brief search on the forum, but I didn't immediately find the posting. It wouldn't be too hard to do.

my heated grips control is in that spot

my heated grips control is in that spot

May need to hardwire to the battery and tuck the USB power outlet under one of the side fairings. It could be zip tied to the air intake tubes for stability. The downside would be to reach in there when you want to plug or unplug your usb chord.

May need to hardwire to the battery and tuck the USB power outlet under one of the side fairings. It could be zip tied to the air intake tubes for stability. The downside would be to reach in there when you want to plug or unplug your usb chord.

Yup prob going to get one of these and have it powered all the time so even when the bike is shut off it is still charging, then run a USB cable to the aqua box and leave it there permanently.

http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?nav=item.view&id=390680015116

Edited by 2talltim

Looking for somthing hard wired with out having something plugged in to the power port and having a wire drapped across the bars. And the power outlet it switch with the ingition I want power all the time without using the tender lead.

I love my setup I mentioned earlier. It was cheap and I can do pre planned routes. I've never used the voice on any gps whether it be on the bike or in the car so I never much cared about that

And my waterproof solution is a zip lock bag kept in my tailbag just in case. You know me, I'm not riding in the rain if I don't have to

Edited by Bad324