Starting Own Business

grapesmuggler27

Ok guys I need a huge favor. I'm in the process of starting my own HVAC company. My prices will still beat anyone's prices and all my work is guaranteed. I'm still working oit some small details and promotions for new customers and a small referral program. So if you know anyone who is looking for ANY hvac work have them contact me. 614-381-8413. The new compnay will be called Frost Heating and Cooling. There will be a small price increase for work done starting immediately. $60 for a tune up or service call/diagnostic mon-fri. $75 service calls on weekends/holidays. Any input on how to grow business or any advice is greatly appreciated

• Upvote 3

I think if you keep doing what you're doing, quality work at affordable prices, you'll be in pauly's boat soon enough (more work than time).

Like they say: take care of your customers and the business will take care of itself.

• Upvote 1

I think if you keep doing what you're doing, quality work at affordable prices, you'll be in pauly's boat soon enough (more work than time).

Like they say: take care of your customers and the business will take care of itself.

I get a few word of mouth customers right now but still not enough to completely justify going oit on my own. So I'm taking a huge risk right now. I haven't quit my full time job yet but I see that happening somewhere in the near future. I'm working on flyers now to get out and hoping to get some appointments scheduled to justify this move.

Just be careful distributing flyers and doing your own work while still working your "full time" job.  I assume you're doing HVAC work for someone else right now.  Most times an employer will be okay with you doing occasional side work out of his truck, but as soon as he catches wind that you're going to strike out on your own, you'll be running your own business whether you like it or not.  My recommendation would be to outfit your own truck as soon as possible, and keep your business completely isolated from your day job.  Don't carry any flyers in your boss' truck, and when you're doing work for yourself, make sure you show up in your own truck.  Once you've got your truck outfitted, call your boss, and let him know what you're doing.  Make sure that he knows that when you're on his time, you're completely focused on his customers.  I wouldn't even carry a flyer in your boss' truck.  Good luck on your new business venture!

don't make every effort to bad mouth him to his current customers and then try and take his best employees by lying to them saying the company will be liquidated for retirement funds. This literally just happened to us and our top foreman who left to do his own thing. He's been a giant asshole and it has created issues and drama but finally all sorted out and people are looking at him as the bad guy instead of us which he was trying for

No non compete. Ziggy as far as my current full time job they know my intentions very well at this moment believe it or not are actually encouraging me, this is because of a few personal issues, Anyone I have ever worked with will let you know I am a very honest and up front. My only issue right now being a new start up is generating work. Im looking for ideas on what you have tried and what has worked or has not. As far as flyers i dont want to invest a couple hundred in them if I am not going to get a return on it. I would rather focus that money elsewhere

I know if you get flyers and pass them out around me, you will get business.  There's HVAC in our neighborhood every week, probably 1-2 days a week.  Not kidding.  Plus I'd hire you like usual, but you would have to work in your sleek black thong you like to wear when you visit me.

Also you could advertise all work complete dude with shaved taint, or something really different.

But for real good thinking man, I think this is truly the way to make life not suck anymore, work for yourself.  

I once read that a certain company's success

was attributed to it spending 5% of it's budget

on advertising.  I suppose that was a higher

than average percentage of budget than was

typically spent.

Whenever businesses seem to pop up out of

nowhere and seem to be all over town in a

short period of time, I notice that they have

ads everywhere.

So, advertising, as much as you can do, as

much as you can afford, would help to implant

your business name in the minds of those who

could benefit from your services.

Given that word of mouth is the best advertising,

superior customer service, a professional

appearance, and excellent and extremely polite

communication skills (even when spoken through

gritted teeth), and even taking on a few jobs

at a price that barely buys the gas to drive there,

will get customers to recommend you to people

they know.  You can't buy advertisement like

that.

How your phone is answered and the tone in

which my call to you is handled will help me

decide if I want to use your services, not price.

I want someone to fix my problem properly the

first time.  I don't want to have to call them back

because I didn't get the service I thought I was

paying for.  If a ten year old answers the phone

when I call, I'm going to think you are an amature

that may be out of business next week when I

have to call back about a problem I've already

paid you to fix and has resurfaced.

I get a weekly bag of ads on my doorstep that

has advertising from many local businesses. 

You might check that out.  A magnetic sign on

the side of your truck isn't a bad idea. 

The appearance of your vehicle means a lot to

me.  Does it look like it's held together with bailing

wire and duct tape, covered in dirt, and used

on the weekend in the local demolition derby?

Or, is it well organized and clean, inside and out?

These things speak volumes to me.  They tell me

that not only do you take pride in how you

present your business to the community, there is

a good chance that you will take pride in the

the quality of workmanship and service you give

to me and the people I recommend you to.  This

extends to everyone you have working for you,

as well.  They can make your business look

good, or look bad.

Pass out some refrigerator magnets that are

made for sticking business cards on.  They are

likely to end up in a lot of kitchens, holding up

customer's young children's school art work. 

Leaving a coffee cup with your logo and contact

info at each job location will keep you in the

minds of those who's problems you have solved.

That's a start.  I don't know if it's anything you

were looking for, but that's what I have to offer.

Stop trying to undercut prices is my advice. You need to make enough to survive on working half of normal hours that way you don't go under right away if you are slow or get slow later. Then when working a lot you get a lot.

Look, sound and be professional to everyone you encounter. Show confidence in your abilities and always make it right. This means you will work sometimes at no charge and late into the evenings. Always talk to people about what you do and how it makes a difference. Be careful not to go on and in but definitely bring up your line of work. People like to deal with successful people. It's what makes it hard to get started. No one wants the guy with no customers. They want the busy guy. Therefore be busy and look busy even if not actively on a job. Use terms like'schedule you for 3 PM today' or after I finish this job at approximately 3 pm , etc. Be honest and brief. Don't lie.

Get credit card processing. Don't make it hard for your clients to pay you. Some won't have cash or money in checking account and need to pay with CC.

DON'T GIVE CREDIT. You are not a bank. Be clear on your rates before you arrive.

Most wont care if it costs $150 or $200 as long as they can trust it to be done right. Don't take shortcuts.

Remember that just because it is easy for you doesn't mean that it isn't valuable. Don't give away your time. Friends and family pay too. Just discount them but always keep your rate high.

People feel a lot better paying $75 per hour if the normal rate is $100. Much better than 75 if that is the standard rate despite paying the exact same thing. If you fix the problem in 5 minutes, don't just walk out. Spend a few minutes cleaning up and chatting to the customer and then leave. Always have a minimum charge.

Stop trying to undercut prices is my advice. You need to make enough to survive on working half of normal hours that way you don't go under right away if you are slow or get slow later. Then when working a lot you get a lot.

Look, sound and be professional to everyone you encounter. Show confidence in your abilities and always make it right. This means you will work sometimes at no charge and late into the evenings. Always talk to people about what you do and how it makes a difference. Be careful not to go on and in but definitely bring up your line of work. People like to deal with successful people. It's what makes it hard to get started. No one wants the guy with no customers. They want the busy guy. Therefore be busy and look busy even if not actively on a job. Use terms like'schedule you for 3 PM today' or after I finish this job at approximately 3 pm , etc. Be honest and brief. Don't lie.

Get credit card processing. Don't make it hard for your clients to pay you. Some won't have cash or money in checking account and need to pay with CC.

DON'T GIVE CREDIT. You are not a bank. Be clear on your rates before you arrive.

Most wont care if it costs $150 or $200 as long as they can trust it to be done right. Don't take shortcuts.

Remember that just because it is easy for you doesn't mean that it isn't valuable. Don't give away your time. Friends and family pay too. Just discount them but always keep your rate high.

People feel a lot better paying $75 per hour if the normal rate is $100. Much better than 75 if that is the standard rate despite paying the exact same thing. If you fix the problem in 5 minutes, don't just walk out. Spend a few minutes cleaning up and chatting to the customer and then leave. Always have a minimum charge.

Personally I think most HVAC buisnesses charge too much anyways,  but a lot of them have more overhead then what I will have. Ask all that I have done work for here my prices are very fair. CC reader may come in the near future but its not in the budget yet.

You can do CC from your smartphone via Internet or with swipe readers like four square and PayPal.

You don't have to take my advice as it is free but I feel strongly that a single person business shouldn't ever need to advertise.

If you charge too little you will bust your ass and never get ahead. The goal is profit and less hours for the same money is a good thing. I keep my overhead low and work from my car. Doesn't mean I don't charge a lot. I just discount to friends and family but I like freedom and money buys freedom.

You can do CC from your smartphone via Internet or with swipe readers like four square and PayPal.

THIS!!

Highly suggest going this route to start until one is in the budget. Or if you find the smartphone app sufficient roll with that

When it comes to service companies, I honestly look for companies that have nicer looking trucks. I know this may seem weird, but if a company doesn't even want to put a decent looking vehicle on the road (and keep them maintained and clean), I don't trust them working in my house. 

Also, I suggest incorporating your business into a LLC. Formalizing the company with the state will protect you personally from lawsuits, register your business name in the state so no one else can use it, and gets you some tax benefits as well. Also, gives you credibility to potential customers knowing you've taken the steps to legalize with the state.   The state of Ohio is a great state to incorporate in because you have no annual fees to keep it open. States like CA for example, have annual fees of $825.00/yr, but Ohio doesn't have this for LLCs or Corporations.  If you file the documents yourself straight to the state dept in Columbus, it would only cost you $125.00 state fee.   I do this for a living if you have questions and want assistance, I could help you.

Edit: You can also get 250 business cards free from VistaPrint - just have to pay the shipping - may want to take advantage of that as well.

Edited by DerekClouser

I once wrote an invoice for Brian for forty some dollars because he had to turn his truck around to get his VFR key. I wrote and sent it from my iPhone from the passenger seat of his truck. :)

if it wouldn't have been raining and i didnt switch hoodies that would've never happened :lol:

When it comes to service companies, I honestly look for companies that have nicer looking trucks. I know this may seem weird, but if a company doesn't even want to put a decent looking vehicle on the road (and keep them maintained and clean), I don't trust them working in my house. 

Also, I suggest incorporating your business into a LLC. Formalizing the company with the state will protect you personally from lawsuits, register your business name in the state so no one else can use it, and gets you some tax benefits as well. Also, gives you credibility to potential customers knowing you've taken the steps to legalize with the state.   The state of Ohio is a great state to incorporate in because you have no annual fees to keep it open. States like CA for example, have annual fees of $825.00/yr, but Ohio doesn't have this for LLCs or Corporations.  If you file the documents yourself straight to the state dept in Columbus, it would only cost you $125.00 state fee.   I do this for a living if you have questions and want assistance, I could help you.

Edit: You can also get 250 business cards free from VistaPrint - just have to pay the shipping - may want to take advantage of that as well.

I actually may get in touch with you. Not sure if I was doing LLC or Inc

If I picked service companies by the quality of their trucks, I'd be getting screwed every way I turn around. DucRx was built on the back of a 1996 Subaru Outback with 200k+ miles on it. Quality service reputation will spread word of mouth like wildfire. Make sure you have quality equipment, but don't put your horse ahead of your cart...in this case.

Yeah, I personally could care less about what truck they park in my driveway, as long as the person coming into the house is reasonably friendly, end exceedingly knowledgeable.

Appearance is very thing too. I have a friend in the window business. Before entering a house, he puts on the those work boot "cover up booties" and puts down drop clothes from the enterance to the work area.

Since you are already doing this as a daily job, this is something you are probably already doing, although a drop cloth on the steps to the basement might be a trip hazard.

We had a complete furnace and outside central air unit installed from a company normally that services the eastern ohio area. They still came out to our area. They left company logo-ed coffee mugs, fridge magnets, and 3 days later, sent a small flower arrangement as a "thank you for choosing us".

After the install / service, they gave us $5 off the bill if we left a company sign in the front yard for a week. After a week, a person from the company picked up the sign, and stopped in to make sure we were happy with the service and gave a chance for any questions or concerns that may have come up. My City, Bedford, has a law that signs have to be 25 feet from the center of the street, meaning that you can not have signs on the front tree lawn, but a few feet into the main yard is allowed. ( I live on a 2 lane street )

The company also offered a "VIP club" that you pay up front, and this covered the 6 month inspection when switching from funace to AC in the summer. Also provides priority service if a call is needed.

And communication!! I like when service companies call a few days before the service as a reminder, then also call the day before the service.

• Upvote 1

Appearance of the vehicle is somewhat important, as in not an BTS truck with rust holes all over the place, gushing oil leaving stains in clients' driveways.  It can be a 1985 van or truck, and as long as it's clean, and not BTS I wouldn't question it.  A much newer vehicle that's dented all over, and dirty won't be as appealing to a customer to have in their driveway while you're there.  

Get some business cards, and when you hand them out always hand out more than one, and let the recipient of your cards know that you value their recommendation, and that if they know anyone that needs your services to give them your card.

The credit card reader is VERY CRUCIAL to your business these days.  One reason, there is an emotional attachment to the cash that they will be counting out to hand to you.  With a card, it's just another swipe.  Any financial teachings that I have heard have told me that as a consumer to always pay cash for that very reason, to help control your spending. but as a business you want to make it easier for them to pay you, and cash is tougher to let go of!