Loading A Bike In A Lifted Truck

donkason

I'm going to be getting my truck back soon and it will be used to transport my track bike and gear. It is a 1980 Chevy long bed with 35's and a 6 inch lift. I am assuming the height of the bed will cause some challenges for conventional ramps. I'm looking for a way to load and unload solo too.

Does anybody have any tips, tricks, custom ramp ideas, etc that would make this am easy job for me?

I've loaded a gazillion bikes in the back of my dually and SRW diesel.  Both were up high and probably the rear height higher than your current setup...

What I do is use a rubber footed MX stand to step up on, pop the bike into gear and walk it up off the bike into the bed.  I secure the ramp with a tie down as to not have it slip out from under...

Been doing that without a single (knock on wood) issue as of yet...

I had thought about a harbor freight trailer and a hitch for my Buick but storing that thing could be an issue.

I've seen some big 3 panel ramps that are long and say they work for lifted tucks. Hey are about $400 bucks though.

I had thought about a harbor freight trailer and a hitch for my Buick but storing that thing could be an issue.

I've seen some big 3 panel ramps that are long and say they work for lifted tucks. Hey are about $400 bucks though.

Remember the setup I used to ferry my bike? Just a harbor freight trailer with plywood deck and wheel chocks. It folds up and takes up about 2'x4.5'x6'. Pretty easily managed in a garage corner.

Loading bikes into lifted trucks is a major PITA. You really can't do it solo like you can with a small trailer.

Edited by BDBGoalie

Few years back at Daytona Bike week. I watched from across the parking lot a young kid with a brand new Lifted f250 and a MV agusta trying to load it himself by getting a running start. my brother and I both took off at the same time and got there just in time. it would have no doubt been dropped 4 feet onto its side. I use the 2 ramp walk up method using the bikes power to move it. and strapping the ramps to the hitch to secure them,

I use the 2 ramp walk up method using the bikes power to move it. and strapping the ramps to the hitch to secure them,

Exactly what I did prior to my trailer purchase. Strap 2 arched ramps to the tailgate about 2ft apart and slowly clutch the bike up while walking right next to it. Now a lifted truck might pose an issue with ramp length not allowing the bellypan to clear the gate. What about making some longer gate stop straps/cables so the tailgate can drop a few inches more? If the ramp(s) dont let the bellypan clear the gate, and there's room between the bumper and bottom of the gate, maybe try longer straps/cables to gain a few inches more drop?

I went to HF and scored a trailer today. I was thinking if I wadded my bike up how in the hell would I be able to load it and that sealed the deal.

BDBGoalie, did you put tie down anchors in your plywood decking or use the trailer itself?

Edited by donkason

I went to HF and scored a trailer today. I was thinking if I wadded my bike up how in the hell would I be able to load it and that sealed the deal. BDBGoalie, did you put tie down anchors in your plywood decking or use the trailer itself?

We ripped a 4x8 sheet in half, bolted it down, and installed a piece of angle iron (On the frame rail in-between the plywood and the frame.) on the front that extended out ~1.5' on either side. These outriggers created connection points farther out to lessen the angle on the straps. Specifically when carrying two bikes. I'd aim for making them the same width as the tow vehicle. We just hitched the inner straps to the trailer on the fence post mount locations.

If you go to Iron Pony talk to John and he'll get you hooked up on a pair of wheel chocks and an extra set of mounting tabs. These chocks just slip into the mounts so they are easy to move around. We have three mounting locations set up: one centered, and two measured out for running two bikes.

Be careful with how you run the wires at the hinge point. It is really easy to pinch the wires when you fold the trailer out and tear the wires when you collapse it if there isn't enough slack.

The trailer hitch is kinda crappy on ours too. Spray it with PB and hit it with a hammer a few times. Once you get it moving, get some WD in there and keep moving it around.

Gimme a call if you need any help

Edited by BDBGoalie