Help Me Buy And Install A Laptop Hard Drive

Bad324

I think my HD in my work laptop fried once again. It's a Dell Lattitude E6500 purchased in '09. I have no idea where to start, I don't need anything fancy and I can probably spend up to $150

I'd like to buy one at a brick n mortar so I can fix this thing today

No I'm not gonna toss it out a window, replace the computer or buy a Mac

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok just pulled the HD out and it says its a Toshiba HDD2E74

Specs on it say: SATA / 7200RPM / 160GB

I'd like to find something equal or better as far as speed goes. I multi-task like a mad man at work so I often have multiple programs open.

Unfortunately Microcenter won't work for me, it's about 2 hours from my office. Also this computer I'm in at work is shit cause I didn't see any links lol

edit: Though if I don't find anything decent to run out and pick up in the next hour I might just say screw it and ride out to Microcenter tonight or have my fiance pick it up on her way home from work

Edited by Bad324

You're in Massillon right? So Best Buy on the Strip is probably the closest place to you that isn't Wal Mart?

If you want to spend the money, this will be your best bet for speed: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Seagate+-+1TB+Internal+Serial+ATA+III/Serial+ATA+II+Solid+State+Hybrid+Drive+for+Laptops/8808633.p?id=1218897640424&skuId=8808633

Slightly less expensive, but slower: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/WD+-+Mainstream+1TB+Internal+Serial+ATA+Hard+Drive+for+Laptops/9314126.p?id=1219011390341&skuId=9314126

Best Buy sucks and they don't carry WD Black HDD's in store. But if you need it today, I'd go with one of the above.

Edited by CleaveTheGreat

My first thought was that Best Buy too but all they have in stock is overpriced junk (go figure)

So I'm just gonna wait it out today and use this shitty desktop. Microcenter is pretty close to where my fiance works so I'm gonna try to order the one Sapphy posted and get her to pick it up. If not, it'll give me a reason to quit neglecting the bike and ride out that way tonight

My first thought was that Best Buy too but all they have in stock is overpriced junk (go figure)

So I'm just gonna wait it out today and use this shitty desktop. Microcenter is pretty close to where my fiance works so I'm gonna try to order the one Sapphy posted and get her to pick it up. If not, it'll give me a reason to quit neglecting the bike and ride out that way tonight

Probably a good idea. Best Buy is the worst.

If you can find one locally, the Seagate Momentus are a decent hybrid between solid state drives (which you won't buy because you're a cheapass) and traditional disk drives (which you're going to complain that everything is slow, see earlier cheapass comment)

I'd save yourself some money and order one online.

The one Sapphy posted at Microcenter is the one I'm going with since I need the computer up and running ASAP

As long as its somewhat equal in speed to the toshiba that came with the computer, ill be happy. Normally I'd use this as an excuse to upgrade to something awesome (ie new computer in general) but unfortunately its not in the budget now

The one Sapphy posted at Microcenter is the one I'm going with since I need the computer up and running ASAP

As long as its somewhat equal in speed to the toshiba that came with the computer, ill be happy. Normally I'd use this as an excuse to upgrade to something awesome (ie new computer in general) but unfortunately its not in the budget now

Makes sense.  If you're going to go to Microcenter, keep an eye out for the Momentus.  BBY won't have them, but it's a good possibility that Microcenter would.  Buying parts is easy, reinstalling the OS and all that is a bitch, and I would only want to do it once.

if you want to skip the OS install get the SATA to USB adapter and use http://clonezilla.org/ to move your old HDD into you New HDD and automatically extend the partition.

disclaimer: If you jack your data by messing up using http://clonezilla.org/, it is not my fault. 

So I put in the new HD and start it up with the Windows Boot Disk. Everything is setting up and loading then boom it BLUE screens. What the fuck?!

At what point in setup does it blue screen. Thats important. It sounds like a bad or missing driver...but I don't see any drivers available for that HD.