Slicks Vs Race Tires

Hoblick

So besides the obvious increase in traction, whats the advantage for running slicks vs. like the michelin power cup.

Gonna do some track days this up coming year, and i honestly could run DOTs, but usually run power race or cups.

Heard the slicks last longer.

Tell me why i should or should not run slicks.

I ran both and I started running more Dots for the fact I could sell them easier after I was finished.  I also had to run dots for the class I was racing

I used to think they lasted longer but I don't think they last that much longer unless buying a set of endurance slicks.

^ agreed. I just made the switch to slicks from running the cups for the last year and power ones the years before.. I do like the "extra" grip maybe its my bawls getting bigger.. but so far easier to sell.. and they have lasted pretty well.. I don't know if better than the cups yet as I did get 6 days on a set of cups and they still looked damn good.. my only thought is (and this is a none point with you as you can change your own tires..) but if its your street the track bike the power ones can be ridden on the streets.. cups are not recommended by david grey for the street but could pass if its hot enough.. if you plan on running warmers then just go slicks and  rock it

Obviously, with a more powerful bike, DOTs are tough to manage.  So, I have swapped to slicks a while ago...

Slicks offer a few things.  Longevity.  They do last longer.  No doubt.  Even on the rears for the big bikes.  DOTs just cannot handle it.  Traction?  Eh...  Again, the rear seems to last longer on the power of the bike, but I honestly haven't used DOTs for a good while because they just will not maintain the feel and results I can get with the slicks.  As for a smaller bike - especially the Hyper you have - I'd run DOT race tires.

The idea is simple.  The DOTs today are really good.  If no warmers, they work great for track day use.  But, you will reach limits.  Thus, DOT race tires come into play.  Then, it is a matter of how long they last, how much traction, etc.

DOTs are easier to resell.  But, I can promise you that you will be hard pressed to find a better tire for longevity, performance and and feel than the Dunlop 302 slick.  Not a better tire out there.  Rears are going to feel different and will net results differently to some.  But, the US rear slicks are the shit right now and they are holding up great and even feel better than the UK versions.  They've leaped in less than a year to be a better choice.  That's the power of racing here in the States and having a continuous R&D department.  Michelin doesn't have that.  Pirelli has it, but the tracks over there are nothing like here.  Overall, here in the States, the Dunlops are being hammered on and developed on weekends by the fastest guys racing...

In the end, it is what YOU want.  DOTs are probably what I would suggest and honestly, with the Hyper, it is so light and isn't going to pressure tires, it makes sense to just run DOTs.

I need a good set of slicks for the 1199. Best place for low price to buy them from?

Dunlops are through Todd at Moto Series or Dunlop Race Tire Services.  Either is the same money as they are control/spec tires and cannot be discounted.

I have some good used Dunlops slicks if interested...

• 3 weeks later...

Dunlops are through Todd at Moto Series or Dunlop Race Tire Services.  Either is the same money as they are control/spec tires and cannot be discounted.

I have some good used Dunlops slicks if interested...

Maybe interested if cheap enough and have enough life left.

What the tire history?  I need a set for upcoming STT day at Road Atlanta.

What size is the rear?  Does Dunlop offer the 200 rear?

Chris

My quick .02. From 08 when is was running both slicks and dot race on my 600s. As Brian said the slicks last longer for sure. Also depending on brand, the slicks tend to have a different tire profile as well. I made no setup changes between tires. I also ran 190's for both. The slicks were straight glue. Spinning the rear was pretty much nonexistent and the confidence that came with that is immense. On the DOTs the bike would slide and spin up on exit as well as back in more than the slicks. These were pirellis. Obviously I haven ridden any of the new stuff which I've heard from everyone have made leaps in advancement. Surprisingly though, lap times haven't seemed to change much in the last few years, which can be a result of many other variables.