Car Alarm

Steve Butters

Anyone able to recommend a good car alarm system? Must have a key fob that goes off as well to set next to the bed

Step dad's truck was stolen the other night and turned up dumped in some brush in the desert stripped down... Took the seats, lights, wheels, all electronics in the doors, all electronics off the motor, even stole his person items like the garter he had on his rear view mirror from his wedding... Such a Badass truck left like a pile of scrap...He just put brand new 35s on it too...

Looking for an alarm for him and possibly for myself if I end up buying a truck...police said lifted trucks are a major target out here due to drug smuggling

Anyone recommend a good system? Are these the kind of things best left to professionals in terms of installation?

IMG_669045029314_zpsfc1d76b9.jpgIMG_617260106423_zpsff05eded.jpgIMG_631894838567_zps47a21df9.jpg

Hope some one that installs it for ya isn't in on that shit so they don't mark ya and make it easy for there homies to boost, I hate fucking people that steal you hard earned items.

If I got a car alarm installed by someone the first thing I'd do when I got home would be to run through the keyfob programming sequence again - deprogramming all existing keyfobs and only reprogramming the ones I had.

Of course if my car is left at any shop for more than 30 minutes they could get the key copied and program a new fob into the car, so really I should do that whenever I get the car worked on.  My car is not special enough to be worth it though.

Anyone able to recommend a good car alarm system? Must have a key fob that goes off as well to set next to the bed

Step dad's truck was stolen the other night and turned up dumped in some brush in the desert stripped down... Took the seats, lights, wheels, all electronics in the doors, all electronics off the motor, even stole his person items like the garter he had on his rear view mirror from his wedding... Such a Badass truck left like a pile of scrap...He just put brand new 35s on it too...

Looking for an alarm for him and possibly for myself if I end up buying a truck...police said lifted trucks are a major target out here due to drug smuggling

Anyone recommend a good system? Are these the kind of things best left to professionals in terms of installation?

IMG_669045029314_zpsfc1d76b9.jpgIMG_617260106423_zpsff05eded.jpgIMG_631894838567_zps47a21df9.jpg

I bought 4 Meitrack VT310 GPS trackers and installed them in my car, my wife's car, my bike etc, my truck.  They cost me $115 each from ebay,

Then I went to Consumer Cellular and got 4 SIM cards all attached to the same account with a really low level data plan.  Enough data allowance to get minute-by-minute updates of location costs about $75/mo total for all 4.  I could drop that to about 60/mo if I only wanted locations every 5 minutes.  If a vehicle is stolen I could send the tracker an SMS message telling it to bump up to 1 minute updates.

I then downloaded and installed OpenGTS - a linux-based opensource GPS tracking webserver.  Each of the VT310 trackers is configured with a "device id" (1,2,3,4) and the ip address of my webserver to send location updates to.  

The webserver listens on that IP and receives those messages from the trackers, and knows which vehicle it using the id number, and plots the current location (and as much history as you have hard drive space) on an interactive map.  (I think it uses Bing).

opengts_map_example.png

If the webserver or IP has problems, I can track using SMS.

For 4 vehicles, total cost was $460, about 1-2 hours install each and $75/mo for tracking (could be 60)

For 1 vehicle it would be $115, 1-2 hours install and about $30/mo for tracking. 

Now, I have no clue what the cellphone coverage is like out there.  And I'm assuming they did not strip the truck out in the desert but instead took it to a chop shop first.  If it went to a chop shop then that GPS track will sink the chop shop operation for good.   If the vehicle is stolen for a joyride and dumped intact, you get it back.  If it get stolen and hidden somewhere they you get it back.  Even if hidden inside a building, you will get a good track up to the door of the building.   If it is stolen and is still being driven around you can direct police to it.

Car theives in the UK are wise to GPS.  They will steal a car and leave it parked normally in a side street a few miles from the theft location where they can keep an eye on it. After a week they steal it again and take it to the chop shop.   This gives GPS owners time to locate and recover their vehicle before it is chopped.

Edited by Scruit

So essentially, have non local installation, and reprogram key fobs... As for gps - I'm not convinced in it... Kinda seems like out here where this is so common, I wouldn't really trust it... They would have several hours to disable it if they snatched it while I'm asleep. I appreciate the suggestion and will look into it

I was wondering if there's any kit like this one, but for cars

www.motorcycle-superstore.com/14/71/991/13728/ITEM/Scorpio-SR-i900-RFID-Security-System.aspx?WT.ac=SLIsearch

Good insurance = new truck kitted out better than the old one

He just bought it a month or two ago from a dealership and he's slightly over his head on it, plus it has a grand worth of tires he just put on it... His gap coverage covers 125 percent of bluebook so hopefully he will be OK there, but he's definitely not making money... And why even buy another truck without buying an alarm system? They know he's an easy target and will probably just steal it again

He just bought it a month or two ago from a dealership and he's slightly over his head on it, plus it has a grand worth of tires he just put on it... His gap coverage covers 125 percent of bluebook so hopefully he will be OK there, but he's definitely not making money... And why even buy another truck without buying an alarm system? They know he's an easy target and will probably just steal it again

Looks like a garage right in front of it... maybe park it in there? Alarms always seem like a waste of time to me...

your vision must suck if you think that truck would fit in that garage.

probably wouldnt even fit without a lift kit, let alone that one. my f250 stock ride height on 33s wouldnt fit in the garage height wise, or length wise...and it was single cable. that ones ext cab 4" lift on 35s....it aint happening.

and scruit - i have a suspicion that they did strip it on location in the desert....it seemed rushed.

if they had it at a chop shop, i dont understand why they wouldnt have taken the rest of it...motor, transmission, doors, lift kit, etc....seems like they only grabbed what they could grab in an hour and then ditched the rest....dont know that for sure, but thats how it looks to me....if i had stolen it, i would have dumped a lot less truck - theres still money to be made there

your vision must suck if you think that truck would fit in that garage.

probably wouldnt even fit without a lift kit, let alone that one. my f250 stock ride height on 33s wouldnt fit in the garage height wise, or length wise...and it was single cable. that ones ext cab 4" lift on 35s....it aint happening.

Fix the garage... a few minor mods to a building is way safer IMO than an electronic device.

• Downvote 1

If you are getting  another powerstroke, there are some slick methods listed on the power stroke forums for a "homemade" anti-theft that will disable the fuel pump relay, or the starter. But since some of these tricks are on a public forum, they might not be all that secret.

With device like Lo-Jackng system, if the tracking "ping" comes back and shows the vehicle is in Mexico, will you still get it back?

Now if somebody really wanted a vehicle, they would take with a tow truck or something, but it will at least make it less easy to steal.

I have installed a few remote start systems, so I suspect an alarm would not be that much more labor intensive.

Fix the garage... a few minor mods to a building is way safer IMO than an electronic device.

the fuck are you talking about? making a garage deeper and taller is not a "minor mod" and would cost more than the truck would. not to mention you would never get HOA approval on a taller door, and its a rental house at that.

please stop trolling and go fuck yourself. glad youve found entertainment in our shit getting stolen. maybe next time im in columbus ill make your shit disappear so we can all crack a few jokes on the fucking internet.

Edited by Steve Butters
  • Upvote 1

If you are getting  another powerstroke, there are some slick methods listed on the power stroke forums for a "homemade" anti-theft that will disable the fuel pump relay, or the starter. But since some of these tricks are on a public forum, they might not be all that secret.

With device like Lo-Jackng system, if the tracking "ping" comes back and shows the vehicle is in Mexico, will you still get it back?

Now if somebody really wanted a vehicle, they would take with a tow truck or something, but it will at least make it less easy to steal.

I have installed a few remote start systems, so I suspect an alarm would not be that much more labor intensive.

thanks bud ill look into it....ill be looking for a powerstroke, this truck was a v10 though....my old amigo had a clutch shut off switch hidden under the dash....essentially killed power to the safety switch when you pushed in the clutch to start the car it didnt recognize the clutch was pressed so it wouldnt start....thats actually a decent idea, maybe hide a button for the ignition or something...wouldnt prevent a tow truck, but i doubt theres any sure100% way to prevent theft....at least make it harder for them i suppose

i feel like something that would buy some time to respond would be work awesome in conjunction with a good alarm with a key fob beeper to keep next to the bed....alarm would go off and id have some time to respond.

if i can find an alarm system like the scorpio one i posted above, the proximity sensor would help in regards to someone towing it.....when they took this truck, they just busted the ignition out and drove it off

1372420_564949206891598_511632615_o.jpg?

thanks bud ill look into it....ill be looking for a powerstroke, this truck was a v10 though....my old amigo had a clutch shut off switch hidden under the dash....essentially killed power to the safety switch when you pushed in the clutch to start the car it didnt recognize the clutch was pressed so it wouldnt start....thats actually a decent idea, maybe hide a button for the ignition or something...wouldnt prevent a tow truck, but i doubt theres any sure100% way to prevent theft....at least make it harder for them i suppose

i feel like something that would buy some time to respond would be work awesome in conjunction with a good alarm with a key fob beeper to keep next to the bed....alarm would go off and id have some time to respond.

if i can find an alarm system like the scorpio one i posted above, the proximity sensor would help in regards to someone towing it.....when they took this truck, they just busted the ignition out and drove it off

1372420_564949206891598_511632615_o.jpg?

I totally forgot that those trucks don't take a transponder key.  

They're pricey, but I have always liked the Viper alarms (as I mentioned above LOL)  here's their website:  http://www.viper.com/

The 2-way remote is what you're looking for, and they have up to a mile range for the remote!  Mine's an older model, that had a lot less range rating, but it works at quite a distance.

the fuck are you talking about? making a garage deeper and taller is not a "minor mod" and would cost more than the truck would. not to mention you would never get HOA approval on a taller door, and its a rental house at that.

please stop trolling and go fuck yourself. glad youve found entertainment in our shit getting stolen. maybe next time im in columbus ill make your shit disappear so we can all crack a few jokes on the fucking internet.

Who's cracking jokes?

It's not that hard to raise a roof on a garage, and you can make the door appear normal sized or like its not even there...

It's also not difficult to cut a hole in the back wall wide enough for a truck bed... add an overhang... and re-enclose...

No imagination, no diy skills?

But hey if you want to come try to steal from me, give it your best shot....

Edited by magley64

Why do they require professional install?

I'm going to guess the official reasoning is something along the lines of keeping the methods of installing them out of the view of the public type stuff, and to insure the quality of their product by making sure they're installed properly.  Now the ironic part is that Best Buy is one of their recommended installers!  :lol:  Yeah right...  Like I would let Best Buy even touch my car (15 year old worn out Dodge Intrepid) let alone dig into the wiring!  :lol:  

So essentially, have non local installation, and reprogram key fobs... As for gps - I'm not convinced in it... Kinda seems like out here where this is so common, I wouldn't really trust it... They would have several hours to disable it if they snatched it while I'm asleep. I appreciate the suggestion and will look into it

I was wondering if there's any kit like this one, but for cars

www.motorcycle-superstore.com/14/71/991/13728/ITEM/Scorpio-SR-i900-RFID-Security-System.aspx?WT.ac=SLIsearch

GPS may not be a reliable option for you based upon cell coverage also.

The "several hours" thing is not as much of an issue if you use a system like mine where it uploads every minute and I can track the history.  If my truck gets stolen and winds up stripped and in the desert then I'm sure they will have found the GPS - however they will have found it while they were dismantling the truck at the chop shop.  The history will show the route they took to the chop shop and it being there foe an hour or two, then the signal goes dead. 

In my bike the gps tracker's labels are all removed and replaced with professional looking labels that say; "PowerBuddy Engine Control Unit v2 - DL650  PowerBuddy Performance, Manchester, UK"  They will find it very quickly, hopefully they think it's like a power commander and leave it alone for a while.

In my car the label says; "You're busted.  Sit tight, the cops will be with you in a few minutes."

and scruit - i have a suspicion that they did strip it on location in the desert....it seemed rushed.

if they had it at a chop shop, i dont understand why they wouldnt have taken the rest of it...motor, transmission, doors, lift kit, etc....seems like they only grabbed what they could grab in an hour and then ditched the rest....dont know that for sure, but thats how it looks to me....if i had stolen it, i would have dumped a lot less truck - theres still money to be made there

Makes sense.  If they strip it in a "safe" location then all the GPS will do is let you recover the carcass more quickly.

Who's cracking jokes?

It's not that hard to raise a roof on a garage, and you can make the door appear normal sized or like its not even there...

It's also not difficult to cut a hole in the back wall wide enough for a truck bed... add an overhang... and re-enclose...

No imagination, no diy skills?

But hey if you want to come try to steal from me, give it your best shot....

Remodelling the garage is not an easy solution.

Cut out switch and a transponder immobilizer would work much better.

In an old car I have I made an immobilizer that interrupted the clutch switch.  I used a pair or relays that would reset to "armed" when the key was removed.  When the key was put in the ignition the first relay would be activated by pressing a hidden switch.  Pressing the switch activated the second relay which fed back into the first relay keeping both relays "latched" (stuck on).   The switched side of the second relay was inline with the clutch safety switch so the car would refuse to start if you didn't press the secret button.

The secret button on my old car was actually attached to the handbrake lever, UNDER the leather boot.  I could press it with my thumb by putting my hand ont he lever.  Nobody ever noticed it.

I still have that relay pair setup.  I need to install it into my current car.   It only cost me about $15.