Tablet info needed

2talltim

Thinking about getting my kids a tablet for christmas this year and i want to start keeping a eye out for deals early. So here is what i want, price in the $150 to $200 range, WiFi only will not need it to link to any wireless network, lots of free apps and games(perferabley the popular ones) and would like to get the best bang for my buck as far a performance and screen. These will be for a 14 and a 11 year old and if the price is right ill grab one for the wifey too. Oh yea and NO APPLE PRODUCTS!!!. I was thinking about the Kindle Fire HD but im not sure how thier app market works and how many free apps they have, google play store is about the extent of my know how. So any and all info i welcomed. GO!

Edited by 2talltim

Check out the HiSense Sero 7 pro.  It's an android tablet, get all your apps from the google play store.  I bought one for our 7 yr. old son and he plays with it everyday.  He's got it loaded with apps, music that I downloaded for him and a bunch of movies on the micro SD card.   Its a nice little tablet, we haven't had a single issue with it.  Walmart sells it for $129 and for an extra $15 you can get the extended warranty that covers full replacement if anything happens to it (including a broken screen from drops).

Apple is holding a press event on the 22nd where they will announce the new ipads. This means current generation ipads will go on sale. Also, check the Apple clearance/refurb store for the best prices.

you said the A word :disappointed:

• Upvote 1

On the cheap side Asus makes a "memo" tablet in the $150 range that is a lower spec version of the original nexus 7 (they make both units) but is quality construction. I have yet to be pleased with any off-brand android tablet. Crap battery or crap screen or crap app support or all three. Spend the money and get a memo or a tab or a nexus. At $230 the new nexus is a steal.

And I love my nexus 7, though 16gb is NOT enough.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Had one. worked perfect.

We bought a couple of those for the kids.  I'm disappointed in the chargers that come with them.  Although, after the jack broke, the USB port started working as a charger port, just like most phones and tablets do.  I bought a slightly different model, a little faster, better storage, etc. and I'm disappointed in the charger deal (same as the other) and the stock software seems to have something in it that keeps popping up notifications to install a long list of crap.  I'd also like to have a way to reload the system back to original.

Buying name brand is probably going to be better if you need support.

Oh boy.....here we go again.

Apple has a stable os most of the time and they make decent hardware that's stylish and slick. I'll give them that. They also have a completely oppressive architecture that limits users to what they can buy on iTunes or rip off cd, a very constrictive gui that limits customization, no flash support, no way to expand storage with sd card and as far as iPhone is concerned, an unnecessarily fragile piece of gear. Why would you want both sides of your device to have the awesome ability to shatter? ITunes is a horrible oppressive memory hog of a shit bag program to put on your computer and every I pod I've owned has shit it's pants and either needed completely rebooted and all media reloaded or just completely bricked and needed thrown in the trash. Conversely I've never had an android device lose its shit and erase all my data, you can put whatever you want on it from whatever computer you want and you can also torrent data onto it. The apps and games are mostly free albeit ad supported.

Apple has a stable os most of the time and they make decent hardware that's stylish and slick. I'll give them that. They also have a completely oppressive architecture that limits users to what they can buy on iTunes or rip off cd, a very constrictive gui that limits customization, no flash support, no way to expand storage with sd card and as far as iPhone is concerned, an unnecessarily fragile piece of gear. Why would you want both sides of your device to have the awesome ability to shatter? ITunes is a horrible oppressive memory hog of a shit bag program to put on your computer and every I pod I've owned has shit it's pants and either needed completely rebooted and all media reloaded or just completely bricked and needed thrown in the trash. Conversely I've never had an android device lose its shit and erase all my data, you can put whatever you want on it from whatever computer you want and you can also torrent data onto it. The apps and games are mostly free albeit ad supported.

Not to go off the rails from the original point of this thread but...

Believe it or not, most people don't want/need extra customization. The latest OS allows for much more than it ever has. If you want customization, jailbreak it (or in the case of Andriod, root it).

No flash support is by design due to continuing exploits by hackers. Given that Adobe's source code was recently stolen, this looks more and more like a good thing. Besides, HTML 5 will make flash obsolete for all intents and purposes.

The iPhone 4 & 4S were the only ones with glass on the front/back. They are a few years old now. If used with a case (like most do for any phone), the fragility is not an issue.

itunes probably has the most diverse music collection you can buy and I've never had a problem ripping a CD. Maybe you are thinking of the very early days of iTunes were DRM made things tricky.

I've heard of complaints about iTunes on Windoze machines but I've always used it on a mac without any issue. There are alternatives to iTunes on the PC...

The Android platform is far from perfect. Because of the 'closed' Apple app store infrastructure, the odds of getting a virus or malware are extremety slim. Not so for Android apps and you hear about viruses and malware all the time. Also, Google search 'Android fragmentation' and find out why it's getting harder and harder for developers. When I had the Nexus 7, one thing that bugged me is that I would find apps I liked but they would be for specific devices only or were not supported on the latest OS.

Edited by ScubaCinci

Nothing but love for the iPads in this house, same can go for our iPhones. Call me a simple man with simple needs, and I love iTunes and have never had issues with it. So glad we all have multiple choices out there, and competition keeps everyone on their game. 

Thinking about getting my kids a tablet for christmas this year and i want to start keeping a eye out for deals early. So here is what i want, price in the $150 to $200 range, WiFi only will not need it to link to any wireless network, lots of free apps and games(perferabley the popular ones) and would like to get the best bang for my buck as far a performance and screen. These will be for a 14 and a 11 year old and if the price is right ill grab one for the wifey too. Oh yea and NO APPLE PRODUCTS!!!. I was thinking about the Kindle Fire HD but im not sure how thier app market works and how many free apps they have, google play store is about the extent of my know how. So any and all info i welcomed. GO!

F the tablet, buy a laptop.

Much more versatility between, web, games, movies, homework. WIth the holiday season coming, good deals will be coming along. I picked up a really nice laptop last year for $464 at Best Buy.

Was not pleased with the off brand tablet I bought a couple years ago. App support was poor and it did not run many of the "supported" apps very well. Bought it for my daughter for Christmas but she hardly ever used it.

Got a Kindle Fire last year as a gift. And while the hardware is good for the price, I dont really care for the App support. It works great for Amazon content but has a severe lack of Google app support (youtube, gmail, chrome, etc.) and does not have nearly as many other apps. 

I have been very happy with the Samsung phones. Personally I would go with a Galaxy tablet. Google Nexus seems to be pretty well supported also. Either way I would stick with a model that has good sales. This will ensure best app support.

Craig

Bought the wife a kindle fire for her birthday, and have been very happy with it. Especially for what it cost ($169)

It does "feature" amazon content, but I like amazon's content, so that hasn't bothered me. We use ours with amazon prime videos and Hulu plus mostly. My wife has all the same apps on her kindle that he has on her phone.

Only mildly annoying feature on the kindle is lack of exterior volume control. You have to touch the screen and move the slider.

Haven't looked in a while but last year Christmas time I bought my 15 year old and 13 yr old refurbished nooks for Christmas. There made by Barnes and nobles. They love them. Have never used them my self but paid your price limit for both on a site. Not sure if I can list it. A year later they are both working flawlessly.