Salvage Title Bike

Szemon

Looking at a GSXR-750 from a local place to pick up for a super cheap price, (couple hundred bucks) it has a salvage title, and only ~1.7k miles on it. It runs & drives, it is supposidly salvaged to due a theft recovery. Thought on the worthfulness of the deal? Would it be too much work to get a rebuilt title? the body doesn't look bad @ all, just a few scratches.

Pic:

gsxr_zps59b6e515.png

Thanks for any help.

Thing looks clean, and yes, they have to sell Repo's as salvage, that is normal.  Unless they already have the rebuilt title, then they can sell it as that.

My friend buys salvage title bikes all the time, fixes um up and flips them.  Just sold a Buell he fixed AT THE SHOP that was selling it.  Was going to get it for 1,500, when he got it running at the shop they raised the price to 2,000.  He said he did about 500 more work on it, then rode it a ton.  Then sold it to the tune of 4,500. 

2nd or 3rd bike he has done that to.  Heck, his GSXR we actually put a whole new motor in it in my garage in a night.  Sold it a few weeks later after storing it outside for a winter in my backyard lol.  Made a killing on tha too.

Looking at a GSXR-750 from a local place to pick up for a super cheap price, (couple hundred bucks) it has a salvage title, and only ~1.7k miles on it. It runs & drives, it is supposidly salvaged to due a theft recovery. Thought on the worthfulness of the deal? Would it be too much work to get a rebuilt title? the body doesn't look bad @ all, just a few scratches.

Pic:

gsxr_zps59b6e515.png

Thanks for any help.

Getting a rebuilt title so it can be street legal is easy.

http://www.dmv.org/oh-ohio/salvaged-vehicles.php#Rebuilt-Salvage-Titles

If it is just a theft salvage and there was no damage and no repair that looks like a smoking good deal.

As far as I know it would not be more expensive because they are not insuring the vehicle, just the damage you do to other things/people. This is my limited understanding of it. I could be wrong.

I know certain insurance companies will not insure rebuilt vehicles. They may have other non-standard companies, or there are probably insurance companies out there that do. To my understanding, a rebuilt motorcycle is harder to find an insurance company to insure than a rebuilt car.

Just hit up an independent agent that works with multiple insurance companies and can figure out what company will insure it.

Worst goes to worst, i flip it for double what i payed for it, can't be hard to sell a running bike with a salvage title for 1k...especially with only 2k miles on it.

Actually that's the hard part is reselling with a rebuild title, it steers some people away. You have something to worry about ie frame damage.