Hey Chili fanatics, get in here

Bad324

Welp I now have been entered in a chili cook off and I've never personally made regular style chili, only Cinci style

So for anyone that cares to share their best recipe I'm all ears!

Also, there is a special category for best spicy chili and I love spicy food so I'm extremely interested in making a knock your socks off hot one that also has good flavor

My award winning chili has no recipe.  I start with about a pound and a half of smoked brisket, some beans, Rotel, molasses, Jalapenos, onion, garlic, lemon and lime juices, and various spices.

The is NO measuring allowed for my chili!

Edit:  I also throw in a couple habaneros if I want it to be nice and hot!

It also has to cook for a minimum of 8 hours.

Edited by jporter12

Use beer instead of v8. Something flavorful, yuengling lager at least. Use only fresh peppers, I like bushes best hot Chilli beans in gravy instead of plain kidneys. Little brown sugar is good to break the acidity of the tamoatoes. If it's too runny stir in tomato paste half a can at a time but remember to add chili powder to balance the flavor. Lots of onions and bell peppers, I typically cook half with the meat and dump the rest in the pot or crock. Shit tons of minced garlic...add too much and then add more.

Want it hot?  Add a bit of  2f03alk.jpg

True Dat!  This is what I use to make my chili spicy without overpowering the flavor.

Since I've come to Texas, I've won a number of chili cook offs, and my recipe changes every time, but here are some of my "tricks".

Also, use smoked brisket, stew meat, venison sausage, and ground brisket(instead of ground beef) will make it extremely meaty.  I use V-8 in place of tomato sauce.  Remember to saute your onions, peppers and ground brisket in cast iron.

If possible, use a variety of beans, pinto, kidney, etc., this will give each bite a different texture.

Going with fresh, home grown(or organic) ingredients when possible.

If your stirring spoon stands by itself, you have made it the right consistency!

Try roasting the ghost peppers....gives them an even better flavor.    We took Habanero's, poblano's, Jamaiican reds, cayenne, cayenettes, zestys and serranto's, dehydrated them, then ground them up into some nice 'spices' to sprinkle on different things.  Have to be careful tho....or you get this-

10i8igo.jpg

Edited by ohiomike
  • Upvote 1

excellent ideas. I'm hoping I have time to smoke a brisket on Saturday because that is my favorite idea of them all so far. Ground beef isn't bad but I'd loooove to do a brisket chili, never even had one before

i love beans so my chili has to have it!

Ah thats a no brainer your half mexi-talian. I has no set recipe either it is by taste only. I also brown the onions and peppers with the meat to get more flavor out of both. I use peppers out of the garden most the year, if not fresh from a farmers market. I have done mine once with brisket, once with chicken and did a turkey meat once. I prefer ground chili meat ask the butcher at your market to grind it chili style it is much courser and cooks better without falling apart. I do pretty good chili but never done a cook off. 

True Dat!  This is what I use to make my chili spicy without overpowering the flavor.

Since I've come to Texas, I've won a number of chili cook offs, and my recipe changes every time, but here are some of my "tricks".

Also, use smoked brisket, stew meat, venison sausage, and ground brisket(instead of ground beef) will make it extremely meaty.  I use V-8 in place of tomato sauce.  Remember to saute your onions, peppers and ground brisket in cast iron.

If possible, use a variety of beans, pinto, kidney, etc., this will give each bite a different texture.

Going with fresh, home grown(or organic) ingredients when possible.

If your stirring spoon stands by itself, you have made it the right consistency!

So much win in this post!  (Since it's mostly what I do.)  I forgot to mention the variety of beans!  I usually throw 5 different kinds of beans in mine.  The only thing that I change is that I do not cook the onion or peppers, I just chop them up really fine and mix them in.

I will make some chili and you can try it. If you like it, I'll give you the recipe. :)

Don't fall for this one!  It's a trap!

I use crushed tomatoes. Some people use sauce. Some use stewed. Some use diced. I don't like big soggy nasty pieces of tomato, I also don't like the flavor and consistency of sauce. Crushed is about perfect. Now I really want to make a pot of chili. If I do brian, you can have some.

You all inspired me.  Found a recipe online using brisket and bacon.  No beans for me.  One thing I've read you can do is thicken it with a bit of corn masa, anyone ever tried this?

I remember my mom using instant mashed potatoes to thicken her chili.  Worked well, and didn't do a thing to the taste.  

I just use time and heat to thicken my chili!

My recipe is pretty easy. It's sweeter than normal chili but still as fiery as you want it to be.

2.5 lbs venison.

.5 lbs pork sausage (adds a bit of necessary oils, since venison is so lean)

1 dark, flavorful beer (Smithwick's, Stone Smoked Porter, Edmund Fitz)

1 large can Bush's Baked Beans -- really, anything they make is good for this chili.

Brown sugar

Chili Powder

Cinnamon

Damn, got cut off --

Starting over:

2.5 lbs beef/venison/turkey/wtfever, this recipe works with all meat.

1 lb pork sausage

1 beer (dark preferable)

1 large can Bush's Baked Beans

1 can diced tomatoes or 2 large tomatoes, diced about 1/4"

To taste:

Brown sugar

chili powder

cinnamon

garlic salt

onion powder

ground peppercorn

And:http://peppers.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/dr103.jpg "The Hottest F*ckin' Seasoning." Essentially, raw oleoresin capsaicin, to adjust the heat of the chili without changing the flavor.

mix the meats and spices (not the brown sugar) together in a bigass saucepan.

When it's about medium-well, drain it. Keep in mind that you want to leave at least some fat in the mix for flavor. The leaner the meat, the less you should drain.

Add in the brown sugar (don't use a ton of this, maybe 3 tablespoons max), the tomatoes, and about half a bottle of the beer. this will the be base of the broth and will have a nice caramelized flavor, but will also pick up a lot of the spicy oils from the cooked meat.

When the base of the sauce turns red, indicating the tomatoes have started stewing, add the beans and the rest of the beer. This will get pretty soupy, so cook it down under medium low heat for about an hour, until it gets thick, at which point you should turn the heat off, but keep it on the burner so your chili stays warm. The soup is so thick that it won't scald.

This will make lunch and dinner for four people, and can be adjusted for individual tastes. It's sweeter than some, but it ends up being more of a barbecue, glazed flavor, and the meat gets emphasized rather than the beans and sauce.

• Upvote 1