Hey Chili fanatics, get in here

Bad324

Ok so here is what I came up with when I went shopping. The ingredients will include

2lbs chuck roast

1lb pork belly

2 onions

2 Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald porters

A lot of fresh jalapeño

A shit ton of spicy beans

A ton of chili powder

A ton of cayenne

A bunch of dried habanero

Some diced tomatoes

A tad bit of flour

A tad bit of unsweetened cocoa

I think that is everything. I wish I would've had time to do brisket instead but I figured the chuck will be an ok substitute for the this go

Minced garlic bri. Gotta have it. If you put it in early it gets milder as it simmers, or add it late for a big garlic burst.

I did put some of that in as well. I was a little drunk when making it last night and put too much beer in so now I need to use some of the tips to thicken it up

I'm not going to bother with specifics there's lots of good recipes here already. Here's a couple tricks I use.

Diced tomatoes. Get the garlic/basil ones.

The cheap chili beans are the best. Also mix in black and kidney beans if you're making a big batch.

I like chunky vegies in mine. Course onions and green and yellow peppers usually go in mine. I also don't cook them to mush.

Spices- go to Penzey's and get their Cajun spice and Northwoods Fire.

Jack Daniels spicy original BBQ sauce adds a nice spicy smokey flavor.

Soy sauce can go a long way, use in addition to salt to bring out your spices. A tablespoon of butter can also richen up the flavor and make your heat "stick".

A shot or two of whiskey is nice too. Be sure to sample the whiskey!

I love the flavor of Tabasco chipotle pepper sauce, has such a nice smoky flavor.....yummy in chili.

I put that shit on everything!  FWIW, i used some seasonal butternut squash in mine, makes a nice substitution for beans.  Similar cooked texture but a very mellow flavor.

Edited by smashweights

Man, I've seen lots of great ideas to add to my chili here! I'm going to have to make some soon!

I noticed that many use diced tomatoes. I use Rotel and chop them very fine in a $10 chopper that I bought a few years ago.

Just use crushed tomatoes instead.

Welp I ended up winning much to my surprise. Chili ended up being fantastic

Congratulations. Thinking a lot of us share in your victory. ...so mail those checks on time or you might wake up in restraints while a drunk midget rubs ghost chili on your coin purse.

Don't fuck with us.

• Upvote 2

Started a batch today. 2 lbs ground chicken, 3 cans hot beans, one can labatt blue, one can crushed tomatoes, smoked paprika, onion, garlic and Chilli powder, Poblado bell and cubanelle peppers maybe some jalapeño for heat later...lots of onion and garlic. Will be adding and adjusting seasonings here in an hour when it starts to simmer.

• Upvote 1

The one time I used a Tecate beer in chili I didn't think it had the right taste.  It was overly heavy, think all the guys using lighter beers are on to something because the batch I made with that it was too obvious there was beer in it.  I want to drink good beer with my chili, not smell the beer in the chili.

Pretty stoked to get some chili made and get things handled.