RIP Tommy Aquino

okeefe01

Saw this all over FB and Wera yesterday but it hadn't been confirmed.  Big bummer for sure, losing anyone sucks, at least he was doing something he loved.  RIP

people say that all the time, but it makes no sense.  You dont' want to die doing something you love, because you'd rather continue doing that activity.  It's better to die doing something you hate, because then you can at least momentarily think, "well at least I don't have to keep clipping my dog's nails," or whatever it is that you're hating.

I was gutted when I heard Tommy died.  Kind of ruined the super bowl for me, actually.   Tommy was one of the first guys I ever rooted for when I started following AMA racing.  This will sound childish and dumb, but I got a kick out of Tommy retweeting something I said about the Graves guys regretting not renewing his contract when Tommy did a wildcard ride in the Daytona 200 a few years back.  He was the type of guy who would "like" your facebook post when you put up motorcycle-related pictures, even though he was a pro rider, and you were just goofing off on a 10 yr old 600...  I also had a brief facebook conversation with Tommy when they got snow in CA, and he and his younger brother were posted pics of their snowball fight.  Just an all around nice kid, who happened to be pretty damn fast as well.

Rest in peace.

Edited by redkow97
  • Upvote 1

people say that all the time, but it makes no sense.  You dont' want to die doing something you love, because you'd rather continue doing that activity.  It's better to die doing something you hate, because then you can at least momentarily think, "well at least I don't have to keep clipping my dog's nails," or whatever it is that you're hating.

huh???

death ends whatever activity you're participating in.  would you rather end something you enjoy, or something you hate?

If you end something you hate, that's a relief.  If you end something you love, that's a let-down.

Edited by redkow97

You just may be overthinking it.  I think that saying comes from grieving family/friends trying to take comfort that their loved one's last days were happy.  It's not of much consequence to the deceased.

Again he seemed like a nice kid.

I know many around the paddock and in our office will miss him.  Little known tidbit but Tommy actually rode with us in the off-season at a private test at Grattan a few years back before he left for BSB. Tommy was one of the first pro riders I met after I started working here and I remember how easy he was to talk to and how awful he was at throwing a frisbee.

You're clearly over-reading into it bud.  Would I rather die cleaning a shi**er or skiing back country in CO on sunny day?  I'd rather die skiing any day, why would I want to die with my last memory and peoples last memory being of me cleaning a shi**er?

Either way, sad loss.

You're clearly over-reading into it bud.  Would I rather die cleaning a shi**er or skiing back country in CO on sunny day?  I'd rather die skiing any day, why would I want to die with my last memory and peoples last memory being of me cleaning a shi**er?

Either way, sad loss.

Depends who's shitter it is and if they are shitting when I meet my demise while cleaning it.