new guy from reynoldsburg ohio

Tp1989

Welcome. A good first bike should be something relatively inexpensive and not insanely powerful. Modern 600 cc sport bikes are putting out over 100 hp and are very unforgiving as far as control input is concerned. I would suggest either a modern 250 or 300, an older 450-550 standard twin or 500-650 standard 4.

Yes plenty of people with little or no experience have started out on a 600 and been fine, but a lot more have either gotten scared, sold the bike and gave up the sport or wrecked in their first season. Inexperienced riders should not attempt to ride what is essentially a race bike.

It will also greatly depend on your build, how tall and heavy you are in my opinion. A 6'4" 260 lbs man isnt going to learn very well on a 300 or 250 and expect it to fit him. The 650 twins would be great for most any build person, and still not outgrow it too fast. And the class is a great start http://www.motorcycle.ohio.gov/

I think a Kat600 would be a good first bike. A bit underpowered for their weight. Damn near impossible to wheelie. Easy to maintain and relatively cheap.  Mine was pretty durable I think. You could probably find one in nice shape for around $2,000 to $3,000 I think.

My personal opinion, buy what you want and what you will be comfortable on and learn to contain yourself till your abilities are up to what the bike can do. I totally under stand where every one is coming from with start slow and small but if your not excited about what you have whats the point. Just because a 600rr might have 110HP dose not mean you have to use it, that's where you have to learn to control yourself. I learned on a Gsxr750 and i did fine, one of my friends bought a busa as his 1st and is a great rider and never been down. you just have to be smart about what ever you choose, if you have no self control go small, but you will quickly grow out of it and want a upgrade. Like i said jusy my opinion.

If you was a recomendation from me; based on your size and assuming your wanting a sport bike i'd say the SV650 or a ninja 650r  or the fz6r, decent sized bikes with mid to moderate range(no aggressive) power, that you wont out grow for several years.

Edited by 2talltim

sorry to say but I will never ride a cruiser lol....and thanks for the help guys I will take your opinions into consideration.....I have also been told that the ninja is 1 of the best bikes to start out on .....so what be a great helmet to buy and gear to wear......and where should I go to buy the gear  

You can sure as hell wheelie a 600 kat.

Riders discount is a sponsor here and gives discounts on gear and parts.

Buy a helmet with dot or Snell certification. The more money you spend, the lighter, quieter and better ventilated it will be.

Got the bracket you made me today, awesome. Thank you. You payment has already been picked up and put in the fridge awaiting the first practice day you show up to.

Supermoto is the way to goattachicon.gifimage.jpg

Awww yea!!!!  I didn't know the 450 was already prepped for supermoto!!!   :D

I see the 100 in the background also!!!  :)