wrecked my car 3/12/14 - replacement options?

redkow97

Ah, that was you? I passed that accident on Wednesday afternoon,

no, you didn't.

I was against the dividing wall, but there were 2 box trucks and a bunch of other vehicles blocking the other lanes.  No one passed us.  The highway wasn't officially "closed" right away, but it was impassable pretty much immediately. 

I'm sure there were a ton of wrecks on 90 though.

Mine was just past the arched pedestrian bridge past MLK. 

Edited by redkow97

no, you didn't.

I was against the dividing wall, but there were 2 box trucks and a bunch of other vehicles blocking the other lanes.  No one passed us.  The highway wasn't officially "closed" right away, but it was impassable pretty much immediately. 

I'm sure there were a ton of wrecks on 90 though.

Mine was just past the arched pedestrian bridge past MLK. 

I was eastbound :)

In fact, the accident on your side screwed up all the traffic on our side, because apparently no one in Ohio has ever seen an accident.

People were rubbernecking like nervous fighter pilots.

found a 2005 Accord 4-door with a 5 speed manual for under $8k.

Pretty sure I can get it for under $7k, given that there probably isn't much of a market for accords with a manual transmission. If I can get that free and clear, then my only obstacle is getting my wife to the point that she's proficient driving a manual trans...

She did okay when I taught her 5 or 6 years ago, but I can't be in the car with her while she practices.  It will drive me nuts.

Thumbs up on that one, and good luck with the manual teaching.

My dad got so pissed off at me that he walked out of the car and left me to learn on my own (fortunately, we lived next to a church and the parking lot was adjoining our driveway, so I had a safe place to do it).

I was eastbound :)

In fact, the accident on your side screwed up all the traffic on our side, because apparently no one in Ohio has ever seen an accident.

People were rubbernecking like nervous fighter pilots.

Ha - yeah, then you probably did.

And you're totally right - one stupid motherfucker STOPPED in Eastbound lanes and got out of her truck "to help."  I about lost my fucking mind yelling at her to get in her car and get the fuck out of there. 

I hit the guy in front of me because I couldn't see that he was stopped (crashed) until too late, and it was a 100% certainty that the same would have happened to her, or someone behind her if she hadn't gotten her ass back in her car and driven away.  Explaining as much in an expletive-laced rant was the most restraint could manage under the circumstances.

Ha - yeah, then you probably did.

And you're totally right - one stupid motherfucker STOPPED in Eastbound lanes and got out of her truck "to help."  I about lost my fucking mind yelling at her to get in her car and get the fuck out of there. 

I hit the guy in front of me because I couldn't see that he was stopped (crashed) until too late, and it was a 100% certainty that the same would have happened to her, or someone behind her if she hadn't gotten her ass back in her car and driven away.  Explaining as much in an expletive-laced rant was the most restraint could manage under the circumstances.

You're a good man for doing it. Some people need their worlds rocked every once in a while, for perspective.

When I was pulling free of the logjam, doing at least 50 on the way out, I could see the guy that was directly behind me, still doing about six miles an hour, staring... two miles of traffic behind him, and he's not even watching the road.

...Ever want to throw it in reverse and let the impact do the talking for you?

We get 30 hiway out of our full size Impala with the 3.5l v6, lots of room. 125k with very minor issues. But none has any love for domestics on here. And there are a ton of nice ones out there on the used market. Ill be picking up another one next summer when my oldest starts driving.

Edited by 2talltim

We get 30 hiway out of our full size Impala with the 3.5l v6, lots of room. 125k with very minor issues. But none has any love for domestics on here. And there are a ton of nice ones out there on the used market. Ill be picking up another one next summer when my oldest starts driving.

I have nothing in particular against domestics.  My '93 Probe GT died in 2004 with 168,000 miles on the clock.  My '98 ranger was traded in (the wife insisted we keep her Neon, which had catastrophic transmission failure at 68k about 2 months later) with over 120,000 on the clock.  I would have kept it longer.  Aside from the Neon, my domestic cars have been pretty solid.

The adjuster just confirmed that I'm only getting $7k for the car, which is about what I expected, but less than I had hoped.  We bought it for $5k from my father-in-law, and then I put 50,000 miles on it, so I can't really complain...

now to find the smallest car that will fit a car seat in the back!

now to find the smallest car that will fit a car seat in the back!

With a family I would never go back to a mid size or compact, especially with the mpg's you can get out of full full size these days. That Impala was prob the best purchase we ever made

Awd plus 30mpg is a tall order.

Fuelly is putting that into perspective.

It's been exceedingly useful in deciding between the various options. At the moment, the front-runner is a 2003 Jetta with 68k miles. It's well within my budget, and gets 32-36 mpg (verified by fuelly).

Other options were cheaper, but don't get near the real-world mileage.

I have a 2005 Subaru legacy GT. I love it. 5spd, turbo, AWD.

21mpg for my commute that is 90% freeway? not a big fan. I can get 30 on a long trip if I stay at 65, but I'm usually going with the flow in the left lane, so no.

The diesels are coming but the benefit of them is reduced by the significant gains the gassers have made. It's getting more common to get 35+ hwy on gas with the diesels being 40+. But the $3-5K price difference in initial purchase price plus the per gallon price means long pay back ROI.

Having said that, my next sedan may be a TDI.

• Upvote 1

The 1995 Seat Toledo claimed 75mpg highway. That's UK gallons, so call it 60mpg US in a car the size if a Contour. I got 45mpg in a Peugeot 407 driving around the UK and I was not driving for efficiency.

What are modern diesels getting today? If gasoline cars are improved, diesels will be improved also.

My rental is a dodge avenger with a 4 cylinder and a 6 speed automatic.

The first 4 gears are very close ratios, and it will shift into 4th at 30mph under gentle acceleration.

5th and 6th are basically overdrive gears. The tach falls waaaay further in those shifts. All in the name of economy.

jettas are nice but have shit wiring, my old lady has a 03

how has it been?

I am looking at several 2002-2004 Jetta's.  none of them are diesel, because those people want crazy money for cars with well over 200k...

I'm looking at a 2003 with the 2.0, and a 2004 with slightly higher mileage (106k) and a 5-speed.  that one has the 1.8 turbo.  Both are between $4k and $5k, and have leather interiors, so fully optioned up.

I've read through most of this, but not every post. AWD, reliable, fun and ok gas mileage = Subaru Legacy GT/specB. I have a 2007 specB with bolt on's and a tune.  I can get 29.7mpg on the highway with cruise set at 71mph. I'm a fan of snow tires, so that hurts the MPG in the Winter. I didn't like my Audi nearly as much as this car.