Clutch plates going bad/need replacement?

8Rider6

My 919 is approaching 20k miles on the odometer (~19.5k). Towards the end of last season there were one or two occasions where I went to shift up a gear, let the clutch out and it stayed in the same gear. This season, so far the same thing has happened to me twice. I can't say if it only happens when shifting out of a specific gear or not, haven't paid that close of attention, but I think it's either 4th to 5th or 5th to 6th.

Is this a sign I need to replace the clutch plates soon? If so, is this a fairly easy thing to do if you don't have tons of mechanical experience beyond oil changes, chain maintenance and rebuilding forks, or should I have a shop (or Hoblick =p) do it?

I am planning on doing a trip to the Dragon's Tail sometime this summer, hopefully June. If it's a big enough issue, I'd like to do it before then. So far, it's been pretty sporadic however.

Doesn't sound like a clutch problem to me.  Typically, a worn clutch will cause the engine to rev as the clutch plates slip relative to the speed of the bike.  If you're shift lever is sticking, I'd look at several things:

1) make sure you're toe is completely releasing the shift lever between shifts; the amount of movement between the higher gears (4-5, 5-6) is much smaller than between the lower gears, so you may be unconsciously keeping pressure on the lever with your toe; since it's a pawl mechanism, if you don't release the lever completely after completing a shift, the shift pawl can't pick up the next set of teeth on the drum; simple matter to adjust the shift lever angle so you don't maintain pressure on it;

2) make sure your shift linkage is lubed and not so stiff/dry/rusty/dirty that it causing sticking (similar to the whole toe thing above);

3) it's possible that your internal shift mechanism is bent and not operating properly, but it's WAY MORE USUAL that the shift pawl would be bent/damaged in the 1-2 or 2-3 shift position, since that's what usually takes the most abuse.

Bottom line, it doesn't sound like a clutch to me.

Edited by Bubba

Hmmm, it's definitely not oil. I change it every season with Honda semi synthetic motorcycle oil. I just changed it 3 weeks ago this season. I also completely relieve any pressure on the shift lever between shifts.

The only other thing I can think of is maybe in those rare situations, I'm not applying enough force to the shift level to engage the next gear, it's engaging partially, then defaulting back to the previous when the clutch is engaged. Is that plausible?

Yep, your post above is right on the money. IMNSHO.

I don't feel bad saying this because I did the same on my last bike.

Stop being a wimp and shift it. Shift it like you mean it. Shift it like you stole it and the cops are on your butt. I don't mean slam it hard and bend the shift forks I mean a quick snap that includes full travel all the way to the stop. Like a speed shift, slam the clutch, wait longer to roll off and don't roll off as much and snap the shifter. You messed up a couple of times and had an issue, now that is playing in your head and you are wimping it more and over thinking it and making it worse.

Some bikes a bit finicky on shifting, and google tells me your is one of them. Bet most of the time it is from first to second and you are over 5K on the tac.

Stop thinking about it, just do it. Easier said than done.

Again, I was guilty once of everything I am accusing you of. Just speaking plainly, like I always do in an effort to help.

Edited by Tonik

Yep, your post above is right on the money. IMNSHO.

I don't feel bad saying this because I did the same on my last bike.

Stop being a wimp and shift it. Shift it like you mean it. Shift it like you stole it and the cops are on your butt. I don't mean slam it hard and bend the shift forks I mean a quick snap that includes full travel all the way to the stop. Like a speed shift, slam the clutch, wait longer to roll off and don't roll off as much and snap the shifter. You messed up a couple of times and had an issue, now that is playing in your head and you are wimping it more and over thinking it and making it worse.

Some bikes a bit finicky on shifting, and google tells me your is one of them. Bet most of the time it is from first to second and you are over 5K on the tac.

Stop thinking about it, just do it. Easier said than done.

Again, I was guilty once of everything I am accusing you of. Just speaking plainly, like I always do in an effort to help.

No offense taken :) This is probably it, and it could be this specific bike being more finicky. I never had this problem on my Bandit 600 that I owned before this bike. I bought this bike with 14.5k miles on it, so I've only put ~5k on it since I got it in May 2012.

I don't recall it ever happening the first year I had it though... Maybe I'm just getting soft =( Now that I think about it, it was just last year I had the chain and sprockets replaced, so that may have changed its temperament when shifting and I just have to adjust.

My 919 has way more miles on original clutch. But it did get funky a couple of years ago. Eventually noticed the clutch lever was near impossible to pull in. The cable was crapped up. Replaced clutch cable and it was normal again.

If I adjust it wrong, it will try to slip or stick in gear. One or the other.

edit: I've read that the 919 clutch and gears are nearly bullet proof. And compared to other bikes I've seen, I'd have to agree.

Edited by ReconRat

Get new boots this season? When I went from a relatively short profile riding boot to these big chunky icon field armor boots I had to adjust my shift lever to accommodate or I'd miss shifts all the time. Just another idea.

Dont know if you can go to GP shift easily but i had the same problem. The problem being that i was being lazy lifting my toe to shift. Specifically 1st to 2nd with an occasional not shifting to the next gear. Going GP shift fixed all that for me. 

Dont know if you can go to GP shift easily but i had the same problem. The problem being that i was being lazy lifting my toe to shift. Specifically 1st to 2nd with an occasional not shifting to the next gear. Going GP shift fixed all that for me. 

Interesting. I'd never actually heard of GP/Reverse style shifting before. It looks very easy to set up, but I'm hesitant to try it at this point, it would definitely take some adjusting to and I think it would be easier to just make sure I apply enough force to the lever on upshifting rather than relearning the shift order/direction. If I get to the point I'm skilled enough on the track it would be an advantage shifting in corners I may try it later, but I don't see that being the case for a good few years, especially given it'll probably be at least 2-3 years before I'm on the track again =p.

• 5 weeks later...