1st track day

Subisti

yeah, if it's something you see yourself doing more than even twice a year, and you have a place to store the trailer, it's totally worth it...  The trailer and Pit-Bull TRS reduced the strain in my marriage by about 6000%.

No more asking the wife for help pushing bikes up the ramp, or having her sit on the bike while I strapped it down.  And that was in an ideal scenario.  When the bike was hot, or she tried to push on a part of the race bodywork that I didn't want taking that much pressure, I am sure I yelled more than once.  The only things I like less about the trailer are toll roads, and when the wiring harness decides to take a crap.  That said, a full wiring harness for the trailer costs less than said tolls in some cases...  Don't trailer a bike to NJMP.  Seriously.

I walked my bike up a ramp while slipping the clutch ONE time, and was terrified throughout the entire process.  I don't recommend it.  Way more likely that it goes wrong. 

THIS.

Also, you're going an hour away. If you rent  U-haul motorcycle trailer for a day and it infinitely simplifies your life it's probably worth the money. Dropping a new bike while loading would suck. When you get to the track you can look around at the various setups and ask people about them. It gives you a good excuse to talk to people. Just look out for anyone named Bruce.

Well I have no problems renting a uhaul but it would be for 4 days. picking it up sunday and driving down, track day monday and tuesday, drive back and rop off wensday. From my phone it shows just over 2 hours drive time. I also am setting up a 2 day track day end of june at njmp.

redkow97 what did you mean by dont trailer a bike to njmp? Both track events will be a 4 day excursion, most likely buy myself. The ramp he linked was as wide as the truck bed so it "should" be easy to get the bike up and down by myself. Also if I love it as much as everyone else does I will for sure get a trailer. but will probably be next year.

I did the Uhaul route last time and it worked fine for me. Keep in mind too that some of their trailers have built-in ramps, saving you the $100+ from buying your own ramp.

Some points to keep in mind though:

• Make sure the place you get it from has 24-hour dropoff as you'll probably be getting back late. Most dedicated Uhaul places close at 5, at least around here, and the last novice session usually ends around 6.
  • Make sure you know exactly what trailer you're getting. I tried to clarify that I wanted their motorcycle trailer which is $15/day and the place I talked to swore up and down they had several. Turns out they consider their $25/day 5'x9' their "motorcycle trailer" and had never even heard of the one I was talking about. Wasn't a huge deal, but it was a bit bigger than I was expecting as well as pricier if you're keeping it a few days.
  • Like Niles said, watch out for Bruce. Regardless of what he says, his candy is NOT free.

THIS.

Also, you're going an hour away. If you rent  U-haul motorcycle trailer for a day and it infinitely simplifies your life it's probably worth the money. Dropping a new bike while loading would suck. When you get to the track you can look around at the various setups and ask people about them. It gives you a good excuse to talk to people. Just look out for anyone named Bruce.

Hey, I resemble that remark!

I did the Uhaul route last time and it worked fine for me. Keep in mind too that some of their trailers have built-in ramps, saving you the $100+ from buying your own ramp.

Some points to keep in mind though:

• Make sure the place you get it from has 24-hour dropoff as you'll probably be getting back late. Most dedicated Uhaul places close at 5, at least around here, and the last novice session usually ends around 6.
  • Make sure you know exactly what trailer you're getting. I tried to clarify that I wanted their motorcycle trailer which is $15/day and the place I talked to swore up and down they had several. Turns out they consider their $25/day 5'x9' their "motorcycle trailer" and had never even heard of the one I was talking about. Wasn't a huge deal, but it was a bit bigger than I was expecting as well as pricier if you're keeping it a few days.
  • Like Niles said, watch out for Bruce. Regardless of what he says, his candy is NOT free.

Don't listen to them.  The first piece is always free.   :crazy:

If you are considering getting a trailer and it will be pretty much just for carrying the bike around be sure to check out the Harbor Freight 4'x8' trailer.  I used to have one and it was perfect.  It is on sale for $299 plus you can get a 25% coupon code to use to buy it taking another $75 off of it.

Here is a link to the trailer.  http://www.harborfreight.com/1195-lb-capacity-48-inch-x-96-inch-heavy-duty-foldable-utility-trailer-with-12-inch-wheels-90154.html

Current coupon code is 23829734.  

I meant tolls are pound you in the ass painful from Cleveland to NJ. A trailer makes that far worse.

From Cleveland to Philadelphia used to be $20 each way for a car. The price has gone up, and NJ has some toll bridges as well.

My first and only trip to NJMP with my ranger was $100 in gas and $50 in tolls. that was in 2009 or 2010.

With a trailer and the increased rates, I believe you would be over $100 just in tolls. The Columbus route may be better.

If you are considering getting a trailer and it will be pretty much just for carrying the bike around be sure to check out the Harbor Freight 4'x8' trailer.  I used to have one and it was perfect.  It is on sale for $299 plus you can get a 25% coupon code to use to buy it taking another $75 off of it.

Here is a link to the trailer.  http://www.harborfreight.com/1195-lb-capacity-48-inch-x-96-inch-heavy-duty-foldable-utility-trailer-with-12-inch-wheels-90154.html

Current coupon code is 23829734.  

If you don't mind putting it together, this is the way to go IMHO.  Out the door with registration and plate you will be around $300.  Add a wheel chock and a ramp or 2x10 and you will be ready to roll.  Nice and low, so single person loading is pretty damn easy.

I have the Harbor Freight trailer and it is great. I fold it up and put in behind my car in the garage when not in use. Keeps it out of the elements. Doesn't really take up that much room. If you do go that route, you HAVE to grease the wheel bearings before you ever use it. They put barely any grease in there and you'll burn them up pretty quick.

• Upvote 1

My wife has a 26ft 3 horse slant gooseneck traile, with living quarters. Would this be to large for track days? I would still need a ramp and would probably get the pitbull restraint. But i could save hotel costs, since almost every track is hours away.

My wife has a 26ft 3 horse slant gooseneck traile, with living quarters. Would this be to large for track days? I would still need a ramp and would probably get the pitbull restraint. But i could save hotel costs, since almost every track is hours away.

if you already own it and have a place to store it, that sounds like a great option.

The only way I would advise you to go another route is if your fuel economy towing that trailer sucks badly enough that a hotel would be less expensive.

if you already own it and have a place to store it, that sounds like a great option.

The only way I would advise you to go another route is if your fuel economy towing that trailer sucks badly enough that a hotel would be less expensive.

I drag my buddies 18ft around. Sucks to pay for gas but can split it 4 ways if going on a trip.

He lets me use it for free though so whatever.