Trx700xx Blows Up!

M_Quick

Maybe throw a low ball number at one of the ebay engines and maybe meet in the middle on one,If you could get one for $1500 ish id go that route

I seen one of the 2 motors relisted for $1900.00 but the thing about a used motor is you never really know why they parted the quad? And for that kinda of coin I could build a real monster 700 stroker out of mine. And I've already started ordering parts. So far I have a stage 3 hot cam on the way for $ $133.74 shipped. And a OEM cylinder for $241.69 shipped. I'm currently holding off on the piston, because I'm trying to find a local place to bore the cylinder +2mm. Only place I know is COE on Essex by 11th ave behind Jegs, I cant get them to answer the phone today, I may just drive over, to ask them if they can do it and how much. Only big bore kits online  $650 and off brand cylinder works with the Vertex piston. Which is not the quality of the Wiseco or CP pistons. And the kits are crazy priced, I can get a piston for $170 to $230. and the cylinder thats $470.00 max. So that leaves a lot for the machine shop. plus I'd end up with quality piston. Alba Racing has a kit for $389. but they need a good cylinder, so there charging basicly $160 to bore your cylinder, and they probably get the CP piston a lot cheaper than the $230 I can get it for.  

Maybe throw a low ball number at one of the ebay engines and maybe meet in the middle on one,If you could get one for $1500 ish id go that route

Plus for want they want on the motor alone, I was tempted to shop for whole running quad around $3500. And add all my goodies to it, and part the rest out. But I don't have the room here for my junk now, let alone another 700...

i used fowler when i needed my jug bored....they did a good job, but they were pretty fucking rude to me when i called them to check on progress because they had my shit for 5 days longer than they quoted me....seems like because it was a quad jug it was their least priority....they did great work, the price was right, but i wouldnt go back....guess it depends how hard of a time you have finding someone

Shop down the street from me is boring a jug for a customers trx250 for $60 to go 1 mm over.

where's that at? I dont even want to know where Steve went lol. I'm looking for drop off in am pick up later in the day. Someone else mentioned performance research on Westerville rd.

sent using tappetalk!

Just got a killer price on a Wiseco Piston from Mike @ Ridersdiscount. And a decent price on the +3mm Stroker crank. I will most likely order them both Monday after I confirm

with a shop I can get the cylinder bored for a decent price and time frame. Anyone know if it's necessary to add larger valves if boring the cylinder?

Story motors in massillon. Bigger valves require the head to be machined...probably not in the budget, and there may not be material enough on the head to do it. I'd see if you can find a hotter cam, but make sure there's enough relief on the piston for the added lift and duration.

Okay it seams boring the cylinder my be more.of a headache than it's worth. COE told me $60-70 and atleast 2 weeks! Performance Research said they'd need to see it, and then make sure they have a jig to hold it. So I ordered the stock bore today from RidersDiscount.

Would a +3mm crank be okay with stock valves, springs, and rockers?

sent using tappetalk!

Just got a killer price on a Wiseco Piston from Mike @ Ridersdiscount. And a decent price on the +3mm Stroker crank. I will most likely order them both Monday after I confirm

with a shop I can get the cylinder bored for a decent price and time frame. Anyone know if it's necessary to add larger valves if boring the cylinder?

Glad I could help out, still a bummer though! 

Good question.

According to HotRods (just bolt in and go) I was wanting conformation from someone with experience, before I order. Plus my crank may be okay. But some have said with the damage my motor took, they would replace it anyway.

sent using tappetalk!

Edited by M_Quick

You'd have to plastigage the valve clearance with the stock crank and hot cam to make sure you have the stock clearance + 1/8 inch....but probably won't if you're running a hot cam with a stock piston.

Edited by CrazySkullCrusher

You'd have to plastigage the valve clearance with the stock crank and hot cam to make sure you have the stock clearance + 1/8 inch....but probably won't if you're running a hot cam with a stock piston.

Humm and from both manufacturers of the Cam and crank, they say they're both direct (bolt and go)? There probably just trying to sell there product! And the piston is the same size bore, but compression is slightly larger. Wiseco only offers the 10.5:1 while CP pistons have the 10,11, & 12:1

Edited by M_Quick

700xx forum idt there's any strokers yet. I ask a site sponsor from there. He's the one that said I should change the crank. But has yet to answer my question about the stock head parts, mixing with a +3mm crank.

sent using tappetalk!

Edited by M_Quick

Everything I know is in post #5 of this thread. Last couple times I rode it, I thought it was down on power. It still sounded and ran good, I just found myself needing 4th gear where usually 3rd was plenty. I suspected something but brushed it off, thinking the quad was just handling better with the upgraded suspension and A-Arm bushings. Now I'd suspect a hairline cracked piston, possibly from pulling and towing other quads idk. But it wasn't smoking, burning or leaking any oil. Someone else mentioned low octane fuel, but I know you wont buy into that...

I'll say this about honda quads: fucking indestructible. A customer dropped a 24 yr old 250 off at my place a few weeks ago. Burning oil, smoking like a house on fire. Still had power, still started after 4 kicks. Diagnosis: hole in crank case, crank case full of mud, cylinder out of round and worn beyond service limits, oil filter and filter housing full of a paste of metal dust and oil, intake valve seats no longer sealing due to oil/mud/sludge buildup, spark plug so nasty with oil ash buildup there was maybe a .015 gap.

He stopped riding it because the smoke was a nuisance.

Did it have a pipe? Was the motor all stock?

Is it fuel injected?

Stock motor, full exhaust, power commander 5. Running recommended map. And yes fuel injectors.

sent using tappetalk!

Edited by M_Quick

Stock motor, full exhaust, power commander 5. Running recommended map. And yes fuel injectors. sent using tappetalk!

Do you suspect it was too lean?

I just find it hard to blame towing as a reason for such a catastrophic failure.  There has to be a better reason for it to grenade like that.

Edited by max power