Trx700xx Blows Up!

M_Quick

Do you suspect it was too lean?

Looking at the end of my pipe, it appeared to be running rich. The plug looked mostly tan, but did have a small spot that looked white! This quad is supposed to be set up fairly lean from the factory, to pass emission test. But plug was installed after pipe and programmer.

sent using tappetalk!

PARTS!

Parts are.starting to show up finally!

Cylinder $241.69
Piston    $139.00
Cam.      $133.74
Oil.           $23.64
Plugs.      $22.53
Filters.       $7.00

evedusa2.jpg

And definitely adding up the repair bill!

Edited by M_Quick

3 plugs for a thumper?

2 are cheap oem plugs, for plug checks. And the laser platinum one is the keeper, for after its tuned. How many would you recommend, for testing lean or rich conditions after a rebuild?

Received the stroker today, thanks Mike!

ryjypy9e.jpg

sent using tappetalk!

Edited by M_Quick

Well if it's stupid rich it will foul the plug. Super lean and you'll be able to tell by the super white insulator...it's been my experience that plugs take a while to cook in before they read accurately, but I deal almost exclusively in twins and fours. I've also read that champions are the best plugs to tune by...something about the porcelain they use reflects the running condition more accurately. Anyway I guess it's good to have a spare plug in case you foul one while tuning, but unless that shit is like soggy rich it shouldn't foul that quick.

• 3 weeks later...

Found out my head had at least one cracked valve guide. So I order'd a used one from a seller in AZ. Also found out I need what is called a piston jet? Not for sure what it does, but looks like it's a oilier for the piston, if so why isn't there one on each side of the case? Part should be getting here soon. Then I have to get it and the newly used head back down south. Recently the motor was removed from frame. Case split, cleaned, crank removed. And the new +3mm Hot Rod stroker installed and case back together, awaiting the jet, and head assemble.

I know valve guides can be replaced, but my head also lbts, So instead of buying all new guides for $30.00 each, I just purchased the used one for $150.00 +freight. It included the valve cover, rockers, springs, valves, CP piston, new wrist pin and new top end gasket kit!

hyru7ura.jpg

apeze8u8.jpg

Edited by M_Quick

Also found out I need what is called a piston jet? Not for sure what it does, but looks like it's a oilier for the piston, if so why isn't there one on each side of the case? Part should be getting here soon.

Say what you will about Partzilla,com but I've had great luck and service with them on the 2 s/o parts so far. I order'd this special order Jet, piston on Monday afternoon, and it's here early Friday afternoon!, I've herd they are extremely slow at delivery???

ana8yry5.jpg

Let me know how he does, i have a Power commander 5 on the new one that i wouldn't mind getting on the dyno and seeing if any adjustments need made.

I sure will, I know the price is right. The OR sponsor out on W. Broad just past Galloway road, said he could tune them, but his dyno was really to big for a quad and he was concerned? This guy up North has a smaller dyno mainly used for carts. That's his specialty, and he said now that mid-Ohio is over for them it's his slow time. So easy in and out...But I will follow up for sure.

only when the float sticks in our carbs..lol

I seen that happen before, and the hillbilly was just beating on the bowl with a rock I think?

Edited by M_Quick
  • Upvote 1

You and me both! How old's the little one? I have one here that likes to ride as well, he's about 12. He needs  more seat time, before I cut him loose and Wayne, and he would also need to to step up to the 200. Maybe next year, he will be ready.

You and me both! How old's the little one? I have one here that likes to ride as well, he's about 12. He needs more seat time, before I cut him loose and Wayne, and he would also need to to step up to the 200. Maybe next year, he will be ready.

He's 11, he's been riding the Wolverine around the back yard and fields a lot, he's probably got more seat time on that thing than I do. So I'm going to let him take it out at Wayne with the throttle stop turned at least half way in. And I'm going to borrow Adams Kodiak and follow him around for a couple short trips. Looking at getting a recon 250 for him eventually.

Damn we need to get the little ones together on time, there same age. Tyler turns 12 on 7/3.  I wish my 200 had a throttle stop, then I would trust him more if I could back it off to say 20-25 mph top speed. 

Damn we need to get the little ones together on time, there same age. Tyler turns 12 on 7/3. I wish my 200 had a throttle stop, then I would trust him more if I could back it off to say 20-25 mph top speed.

My son's name is Tyler also, even with the stop all the way in it will still do 30mph plus but only down hill on a run, but it limits the acceleration and aggressivness. Soon as I get vacation stuff paid back off im going to shop around for him. Edited by 2talltim