Garage security

RHill

Just had my 4th of July weekend cut short by a cocksucker breaking into my garage.  Luckily my duplex neighbors called me up and told me what happened.

Looks like the fucker took a crowbar to the door jamb.  I'm assuming 1 person with no vehicle, because the only thing they took was a stand up 20 gallon oil-less compressor that could be rolled away pretty quick and easy.

Now I'm freaked out about a return visit.  I'm hoping they just popped the door and grabbed the compressor without taking a look around, but I screwed the door shut.....not exactly up to code, but the fucking handle was broken and permanently locked.  Also re-positioned the garage door opener switches in case they looked around.  

What simple(preferably cheap) steps can I take to secure the garage more and keep this from happening again?  I hate chaining crap down, but I'm going to get some eye bolts, chain and padlocks tomorrow.

Edited by RHill

If people want in, they will get in.

The best you can do is hide your stuff my covering windows and install some door alarms that alert people that you're being burglarized.

$15 radio shack door alarms are loud as shit. I used one on our apartment when we lived in a dodgy neighborhood.

It doesn't stop a person from entering, but it tipped off our nosy neighbor, and it would have given me enough time to find a gun and chamber a round if someone had broken in when we were asleep.

^agreed about getting in if there is incentive(want)

That is the reason I've always been really cautious about minimizing exposure.  Working with the door closed, only popping the door open when hooking up the trailer and leaving as quickly as possible.  I'm actually really paranoid about it.

I really think(hope) this is a random asshole pulling a "smash and grab" for the closest thing that he can pawn/trade for a buck.  

My neighbors were so cool, they called me up as soon as they knew and pushed one of the washing machines in front of the door till I could arrive "just in case".

1. good insurance

2. cut a hole in the box

3. put your junk in that box

4. sleep in the box so the next time that asshole breaks in to get to your junk, you can helicopter him in the face.  that fuckface.

• Upvote 2

You can get some cheap trail cameras or video cameras on flea bay. Install these in remote concealed areas. When something happens. Go hunting. Careful to play by the law when you catch him.

I put a 30/06 round through an engine block once and got in little trouble. But it was worth it. People know what I'm about in the neighbor hood now.

• Upvote 1

Serious stuff out the way first:

- You cannot use deadly force to protect property and castle doctrine does not extend to a detached non-dwelling building.  Going out there with a gun to stop your stuff from being stolen is a decision you may find yourself explaining to a judge.

- Booby traps - even non-lethal ones, may be triggered by people with a legitimate reason to be there.  Think firefighter responding to a call about your garage, police investigating another break-in before they can reach you or helpful neighbor who finds your door ripped open and  is trying to secure it for you...

For immediate security - if the door cannot lock then there's nothing wrong with screwing it shut until you can do proper repairs.

Cameras will only give you the opportunity to catch grainy images of the asswipes taking your stuff.  Unless you can get a license plate (and hope the car is not stolen) you're out of luck.

My advice would be a combination of "Slow them down" and "Make lots of noise".  Any kind of loud alarm is going to help attract the kind of attention burglars don't want, but if they can get in and out in seconds then who cares, right?  If you make it take 10 minutes to break in but they can do it quietly in the dark then  who cares?  Now, are they going to spend 10 minutes while a loud alarm is going off?  Maybe, but it's your best chance.

Secure your hinges and striker plate into the studs with 4" screws, no the 1" crap they send with the striker plate.   I chiseled out the door jamb 1' above and below the striker plate so I could flush-mount a 1/8" strip of weldable steel in there instead of the factory striker.  No prying that.  I have multiple deadbolts too, not just 1.  My workshop is also connected to my monitored alarm system and I have cameras inside and outside the workshop that I can view live on my phone or from any PC, so if I get a call from the alarm company I can report it as a actual burglary versus a false alarm.

Oh, and my big air compressor no longer has wheels.  It is bolted the ground with 4x 600lb concrete anchors.  :-)

Edited by Scruit

here's an idea: frontpointsecurity.com they are rated #1 for 2013-2014 as far as in home security companies go.

You refer me or I refer you: $100 Amazon gift card to you and me both, they also give you the 1st month free, I pay $41.99 a month for coverage including the app on my phone and I couldnt be happier.

It's all wireless with an upfront $100 equipment charge - including as loud ass 130db siren.

I have 3 door sensors (one for the garage), glass break sensor, and 5 window sensors. I have my system set up to where the alarm goes off immediately, no delay, but it has a 30 second delay until they calls the police and report an active B&E (CPD charges u $100 after the first 2 alarm drops every year)

Anways its not just an alarm drop when the substation gets notified (or so they say lol) Active B&E's cops take pretty seriously bec they dont want to deal with the home owner shooting someone or shit being missing...more pp work. Needless to say they run code and they arrive as quickly as they can. Front Point also calls you on two phone #'s on file and u dont answer they imediately call the police. So in essence if someone does break into your shit....they do have some time, but no a lot to take your stuff.

I split the cost w my gf, so it technically costs like like $24 a month.

I'm sure some others might chime in, but for ME - it's worth the $$.

Edited by silentcropduster

Serious stuff out the way first:

- You cannot use deadly force to protect property and castle doctrine does not extend to a detached non-dwelling building.  Going out there with a gun to stop your stuff from being stolen is a decision you may find yourself explaining to a judge.

- Booby traps - even non-lethal ones, may be triggered by people with a legitimate reason to be there.  Think firefighter responding to a call about your garage, police investigating another break-in before they can reach you or helpful neighbor who finds your door ripped open and  is trying to secure it for you...

For immediate security - if the door cannot lock then there's nothing wrong with screwing it shut until you can do proper repairs.

Cameras will only give you the opportunity to catch grainy images of the asswipes taking your stuff.  Unless you can get a license plate (and hope the car is not stolen) you're out of luck.

My advice would be a combination of "Slow them down" and "Make lots of noise".  Any kind of loud alarm is going to help attract the kind of attention burglars don't want, but if they can get in and out in seconds then who cares, right?  If you make it take 10 minutes to break in but they can do it quietly in the dark then  who cares?  Now, are they going to spend 10 minutes while a loud alarm is going off?  Maybe, but it's your best chance.

Secure your hinges and striker plate into the studs with 4" screws, no the 1" crap they send with the striker plate.   I chiseled out the door jamb 1' above and below the striker plate so I could flush-mount a 1/8" strip of weldable steel in there instead of the factory striker.  No prying that.  I have multiple deadbolts too, not just 1.  My workshop is also connected to my monitored alarm system and I have cameras inside and outside the workshop that I can view live on my phone or from any PC, so if I get a call from the alarm company I can report it as a actual burglary versus a false alarm.

Oh, and my big air compressor no longer has wheels.  It is bolted the ground with 4x 600lb concrete anchors.  :-)

your correct on the 4 in screws on the striker plates, the place i bought in April - had 1 in screws in the striker plates, i still smh at that crap. I also have 2 dead bolts on each door...something else to think about when it comes to garages, thieves can press the top center of your garage door in and use a coat hanger to try and trip the release hanlde on your door. Once they do anything in your garage can be had. I zip tied mine so it wont release and put a piece of wood block in front of it.

Also - i never have my garage door open so the neighbor's can see my bike or car or anything expensive in my garage because you never know.

• Upvote 1

The biggest deterrent to a criminal is the possibility that you have an alarm system.  They'll go to someone who doesn't first.  A yard sign and window stickers from a real alarm company (not the fake bullshit ones you buy on e-bay) are the best.  And don't be conned by high pressure security sales pukes.  If you're paying more than 25 a month, you're paying too much.  Shop around. 

All that being said, you cannot stop a determined criminal.  Thankfully, you and I don't have to worry about too many of those.  We  need to worry about opportunists who can spot an easy way to turn your shit into their cash.  Don't let them see your shit.

I have our garage entry door's deadbolt running into a 36" length of 1"diameter gas pipe ( or possibly 3/4", cant remember, but the deadbolt barely fits which is key for rigidity ) thats ran through the door frame, secondary stud, and 2 more wallstuds. Also reinforced the frame/hinges with a pile of long screws. Keeping the door well lit helps as well.

Sucks to hear, I despise thieves.

Those radio shack alarms will do the trick. As stated, loud as shit.

I absolutely think they're worth the cost, but anyone prepared for them is going to smash the thing in less than 30 seconds.  I try to ask myself what I would think if I heard my neighbor's alarm go off for 30 seconds, and then stop.

I'd probably think "they set it off, and then entered the code right on the third try."   That said, I would still at least look to see if there is a vehicle I don't recognize in their driveway...

The apartment where we used one was a layout where our door was at the end of the hall, so anyone fleeing had to pass our nosey neighbor from the methadone clinic.  (not kidding.  I gave Louie a ride there once.  only once.)

most of the time, stuff like this is a crime of opportunity. they are there, the garage is there and they break in... they probably won't be back, but you never know... maybe they saw something they really like...

make sure your garage area is well lit. motion sensor lighting is good. if there are switched exterior lights, make sure they are on at night. 

try to reinforce the door frame if you can. they still can probably get through it, but the longer it takes, the better chance of someone seeing them or they get frustrated and give up. 

+1 on the alarm comments

this thing is pretty good too...http://www.harborfreight.com/wireless-driveway-alert-system-93068.html 

wireless motion sensor. put the sensor in your garage, plug the chime part in your house. make sure to keep the batteries topped up. when it detects motion in the garage, it will alert you inside the house. i have one in my garage, and my neighbor does too. he chased a guy off last summer after it started dinging at 3 am. they haven't been back since...

the one thing to keep in mind, if you're working in the garage, and someone is in the house, they are probably going to want it turned off since it will be dinging all the time. just make sure to turn it back on when you're done. 

Edited by John