Another tire thread...

Heagachongoose

Hi. Been running dunlop q3's for a while now. Instead of getting them again (for the third time this year, I'm only getting 3k out of them) I am looking for a similar performance alternative that lasts longer. I used to run michelin 2ct's but I didn't get too much more out of them than I do the dunlops. An I personally prefer the dunlops. Much more comfortable profile to me. Looking to do some longer rides on these tires, Carolina's etc, but I am NOT willing to sacrifice the grip and performance of the q3's. Anybody have any suggestions? If not I mean with the rebate $190 for a set of dunlops is tough to beat. If there's nothing like I'm asking currently on the market I'll just bite the bullet and grab another set. I just get tired of pulling my tires off every month lol.

Pirelli Angel ST or GT

Michelin Pilot Road 3 or 4

they are sport touring tires, you'll get at least twice the milage out of them.

and they grip just fine, a member here actually did a track day on a set of Angel GTs, never had an issue with them.

i doubt your going to outride either of those tires.

• Upvote 1

I only get 3000 miles on mine as well. Think it depends on the bike and how you ride. I was running supercorsa's before and barely got 3000 miles on those well. Thankfully, with the rebates and deals, the price is really a deal.

Mary

I've got 10k out of a rear Pilot Road 3 on my SV1000S. And I live in the land of 1 mile square blocks.

I just do not understand how anyone can get those kinds of miles out of a rear tire...on a sport bike to boot!

I have the Pirelli Angel GT front and back on a 600+ lb bike and at 3800 miles, I replaced my rear tire due to a nail, and it had more than 50% tread. I push the bike  to the edge with confidence in these tires. They are surprisingly good in the rain too.

My Norge came shod with Pirelli Angel STs.  I have about 5500 miles on them and they are wearing well.  Good wet traction also.  Since I do not know how many miles I can expect out of them, I will replace them at around 7k prior to going on an early August week-long ride of 3-4k or so.  I wish I could be confident of getting 10-11k out of them; I hate changing tires that are not to the tread bar.

lol I get 2200 or less out of mine, you're being too easy on them. Great tires, keep the Q3s

This.

On a trip to the mountains, I got 700 out of a set of q2's, before 3's were out.

Welcome to sport bikes.

If you do a lot of commuting and are wearing out the middle only, definitely switch to a pr3 or similar. Pr3's are definitely capable of knee down.

I ran q3's on the zx10 and got about 2500 miles out of em. Just recently switched to a Michelin pilot road 2 rear and pilot power 2ct front and I have rode the new combo harder than the q3's and no slippage and that's coming pretty hard out of a corner so I'm incredibly pleased with that combo. And being a ST rear, I expect to get 4500 or so out of the rear.

OOC, why mix? The PR front has plenty of grip and different compounds than the rear.

A lot of guys on the Zx10r forum recommended that combo. I was tentative switching to the ST tire in the first place so I figured I could take it in moderation lol. After knowing the rear is solid I will probably go PR front next time.

running a power front gives some benefits.  quicker turn in due to the steeper profile, as well as softer compound for added grip allow more lean angle.

but why?  i really don't understand how people can complain about ST tires on the street at all.  you could probably run an ST tire into intermediate group on track days.  I'm just not seeing how people think they are too fast or whatever to run ST tires on the street.

if your having issues on the street with a ST tire its probably the rider not the tire

I'm running Michelin Anakee 3s on a VStrom and i push them pretty hard on the street, and i haven't had one incident with them, and they are an adventure touring tire lol

Edited by Hoblick