Well this can't be good for Tony Stewarts career.

MidgetTodd

Who the hell gets out of their car on a freaking race track and runs to the middle of it with cars flying by?

Almost every dirt track driver that gets put into the wall by another driver, happens all the time its what they do. Happens in nascar too, Stewart himself does it

Tony wouldn't have been able to see him until it was too late because he was behind the blue & white car.

The kid was stupid to run into the middle of a hot track.

Should have stayed to the side of the track and thrown his helmet at Tony like everyone else. 

I feel sorry for everyone involved! 

RIP

• Upvote 1

Looks about as accidental as could be. Stewart had his front wheels turned left and goosed the throttle to redirect the car at the last second when he finally saw the young hothead on the track. Those cars don't turn that well with only steering input. It's tacky dirt, a quick tap of the throttle breaks the rear end and turns the car much quicker than a steering input.

I really didn't see a problem with the pass that put the kid into the wall. Tony was doing a slide job to take position. If the boy wanted to try to race Tony it's his choice, but in this case Tony made the pass, it was the boys responsibility to yield at that point.

In the outlaws series, all those guys do that all the time, you take your chances trying to race someone on the outside when they've put a slide job on you.

Overall, very poor decision by the young guy to get out of the car. I've spent many many years at dirt tracks watching my dad race, watching the all stars, the outlaws, etc...It's rare to see guys get out of the car. But some do, everyone has a breaking point with their tempers. Most are smart enough to get within a throw of the helmet, not stand in front of oncoming traffic.

Edit: it should be noted also, Sprint cars aren't like NASCAR, they don't have mirrors or spotters or any assistance in knowing if they are clear or not. Tony had slow traffic on the inside of the track, was making the pass on the guy and wouldn't have known that he wasn't clear of him as he slid up the track. That responsibility goes on the driver being passed, either yield position or get put in the wall...he chose the wall and then got an attitude over his poor choice.

Edited by dustinsn3485
  • Upvote 2

Difficult to make a decision on intent from the video because you can't see Stewart's car until immediately prior to the collision. 

What we can say for sure is the kid chose to run out in front of cars on a racetrack. That seems, to me, to be a pretty stupid thing to do.  (regardless of how many other people do it)

Edited by Scruit
  • Upvote 1

Maybe if a few more hotheads get run over you won't have so many idiots trying to play live action frogger on the racetrack. You don't see motogp riders run around on the track. You wouldn't do it on the highway if you got in a wreck. Why do it on the dirt track. Sucks that it happened but the dude got exactly what he had coming for him for acting like a moron.

• Upvote 1

Maybe if a few more hotheads get run over you won't have so many idiots trying to play live action frogger on the racetrack. You don't see motogp riders run around on the track. You wouldn't do it on the highway if you got in a wreck. Why do it on the dirt track. Sucks that it happened but the dude got exactly what he had coming for him for acting like a moron.

+1

• Upvote 1

I don't see how that could have been remotely intentional. If you're trying to kill someone, it's generally best to do it without spectators.

I am not a Tony Stewart fan, but there's no way in hell he intended to hit the guy.

• Upvote 1

I don't see how that could have been remotely intentional. If you're trying to kill someone, it's generally best to do it without spectators.

I am not a Tony Stewart fan, but there's no way in hell he intended to hit the guy.

I agree, Tony had no way of knowing the guy was on the track until to late. How many times have you been behind someone in traffic and they swerve, and you think wth is wrong with this guy. Then you hit the pothole or object in road.

Edited by M_Quick

I heard someone else suggest that is was intentional.  I don't believe that for a second.  Stewart is aggressive at times but he's not murderer.

The guy was wearing a dark colored suit on a pooly lit track.  Stewart was right behind another car and the guy walked right into his path.

It's a shitty set of circumstances.