The Distinguished Gentleman's Ride

Casper

Ever pretend you were a super hero as a kid? Same thing, just with better props and more people. I've never done it, but I always thought beating someone with a foam sword would be a fun time.

Oh, and if you've ever done paintball... that's basically cosplay. You just don't think it's dorky, but it is.

I like those comparisons.  I haven't done it either unless you count dressing up as a golden age pilot for halloween, but I think it looks ridiculously fun and I'm secure enough to not care.  Like the DooDah parade or Zombie walk/run or the Warrior Dash (except with massive fitness) or the Ohio Ride with track outfits or 99.9% of all fashion worn daily.

There's a strongly playful make-believe element to things like the Distinguished Gentlemen Ride.  Nobody (with rare exception) takes themselves seriously and it's an excuse to dress up.

Edited by smccrory

I like those comparisons.  I haven't done it either unless you count dressing up as a golden age pilot for halloween, but I think it looks ridiculously fun and I'm secure enough to not care.  Like the DooDah parade or Zombie walk/run or the Warrior Dash (except with massive fitness) or the Ohio Ride with track outfits or 99.9% of all fashion worn daily.

There's a strongly playful make-believe element to things like the Distinguished Gentlemen Ride.  Nobody (with rare exception) takes themselves seriously and it's an excuse to dress up.

I think it looks like a hoot, and no doubt some real friendly and fun folks who love life will be there enjoying themselves. :)

No worse than bike night at Quaker Steak and Lube, now THAT is some pompous bullshit right there. ;)

At least Quaker bike nights don't exclude riders (so I am told) because of the type of bike they ride. Even Harley sponsored poker runs will let riders on all types of bikes "join in on the fun".

• Upvote 1

At least Quaker bike nights don't exclude riders (so I am told) because of the type of bike they ride. Even Harley sponsored poker runs will let riders on all types of bikes "join in on the fun".

Quaker nights aren't a fair comparison - that's just a restaurant pulling in as many paying customers as possible.  I've heard they even let in the Irish.

Think of it more as a costume party.  Would y'all feel as butthurt if you were told you couldn't come to a costume party without a costume?  You wouldn't like the Masquerade Ball.

I'm in the Magic: The Gathering community, and we have a well-known Cosplayer named Christine Spranklerun.  She's most famous for portraying a character named Elspeth Tirel, but she also does other characters frequently.

mklaw.jpg

Here she is Liliana Vess:

spicebread.jpg

Amanda Cohen as Liliana Vess:

AS_04.jpg

It's hotties dressing up in seductive dresses, and walking around with swords and armor?  What's not to like?

Once while severely intoxicated I bought a Spider-Man suit and ran around scioto county pestering local civilians, aka fighting crime. That could qualify as cosplay I suppose? Lol.

Just roll up your pants legs, wear loafers and some funky glasses and you'll be golden. No way they'd turn you down. I'm half tempted to slap a few decals and some chrome on the bike and argue it's validity as a custom. Bah. I've been looking for a good excuse to pull out my good set of trousers silk jacket and gold cuff links. What a sporting occasion.

In all seriousness it is for a good cause and they would do well not to limit themselves. I wish them well and succes for the sake of the cause.

Edited by Heagachongoose