Questions from a new rider in Hilliard

tparrott00

I recently (end of June) bought my first bike (I'm 58 years old) and absolutely love riding!  I did get a cruiser which I know is frowned upon by many in these forums but since I only want to cruise I felt it was appropriate.  I've already put over 1500 miles on the bike and I'm sure it needs an oil change.  In the Hilliard or Columbus area where would be the best place to do this?  Also, is a bike oil change usually a drop-off or a wait until done job?  I'll be needing tires next summer and also need t oknow the best place in the area for that.

I have a 2000 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100 with just under 16,000 miles.

Welcome and congrats on the new bike. 

Most riders do their own oil changes. It's very easy. If you do want to pay someone to do it, it's usually a call ahead to schedule then drop it off type thing. Especially true at dealerships. 

Here's a video of a guy walking through an oil change on the same bike:

Please try a do-it-yourself. It really IS easy and I agree with bloody that way too often the shops do not do it right or carefully.

I'm on my phone so I didn't watch the video but please be sure to recycle your used oil. I get it at Walmart or autozone. Both places take recycled oil. It's a good idea to have a gallon jug to handle the used oil.

The only likely problem you might run into is in getting the filter off. When you get the new filter. Invest about $8 to get a filter tool. I prefer the type that fits snugly on the top of the filter can and attaches to your ratchet wrench. Most bikes don't have the space available to use the adjustable strap type.

Good Luck!

Chris

Please try a do-it-yourself. It really IS easy and I agree with bloody that way too often the shops do not do it right or carefully.

I'm on my phone so I didn't watch the video but please be sure to recycle your used oil. I get it at Walmart or autozone. Both places take recycled oil. It's a good idea to have a gallon jug to handle the used oil.

The only likely problem you might run into is in getting the filter off. When you get the new filter. Invest about $8 to get a filter tool. I prefer the type that fits snugly on the top of the filter can and attaches to your ratchet wrench. Most bikes don't have the space available to use the adjustable strap type.

Good Luck!

Chris

I have a five gallon jug I use for old oil. Once it's full, I take it to Autozone and dump it. 

Good Luck!

Chris

A hammer and screw driver will often work in a pinch.