The Love of a Mother That All Can Learn From

Tonyblaze

That was visceral to watch.  So sudden.

Yes, the car turned in front of him, but I also blame the rider (as much flaming as it may get me).

He was going WAY too fast... we've all done it, myself included.

Even if it was the car's fault.... You can't sue if you're dead. :(

• Upvote 2

I agree with Josh to a point, but drivers usually dont take the time to actually assess how fast something is coming toward them, imo. They simply see light(s), expect that due to the distance away it is that they have enough time to make the turn. So they approach, glance ahead, and instantly initiate. Happens to me a lot, whether riding or driving.

I'm not saying the rider wasn't mostly at fault because of his speed, to move at that rate and rely on traffic around you to make sound judgement calls is foolish anyway, fun or not. I ride like everyone could kill me if they so desired, so defensively it is then....at all times. Right or wrong, I could care less since it's kept me alive this long.

Be mindful and take care out there folks, shit can jump out from most anywhere and end you.

Edited by Hellmutt
  • Upvote 1

I am most concerned with drivers turning left while I am coming from the opposite direction. This is one of the most common causes of fatal motorcycle accidents in this country. (This is similar to what happened in this video, but the Brits don't like to drive on the right side of the road.)

The mother even says that he was driving to fast, I don't think she really blames the driver for his death.  I think she just wants people to take a second look at what could be coming before they turn.  It's better to shake your head and possibly flip someone off for being stupid than to have to live with a death that could have possibly been avoided.

Edited by lowcel
  • Upvote 1

Bike 2/3 and car 1/3 of responsibility. Definitely going too fast. Not covering front brake. Not looking far enough ahead and recognizing the threat.

I'm pretty sure there is scientific literature on the topic that the brain doesn't recognize the smaller bike to be as dangerous. If that was a Mack truck (do they sell those in UK?) the driver would have seen the truck as a threat and held up. It's more than just the size and shape that matters to our brain.

The driver definitely shouldn't have turned as there wasn't safe clearance as evidenced by the crash. I presume UK law is like US law about yielding right of way when turning across oncoming traffic. (Even if they are speeding).

As already stated, this is the number one way to die on your bike. Watch for cars turning left in front of you. Bright lights. Weave. Slow down. Adjust lane position. Whatever it takes!

• Upvote 1

The reality of it all is that we all have a tendency to ride like this, especially when we are on spirited rides. It's a reality check to see stuff like that and watching the video you see how quick it can turn deadly.

The guys I ride with daily, we have a saying, and it's basically that we all drive unsafe at times, but you need to pick the right roads and situations to act dumb to minimize as much risk as possible.

Ultimately the mother understood the risks of her son riding as do most riders. When you swing that leg over and hit that ignition, You know the risks.

Be observant, have fun but stay within the limitations of the road and be ready for the unexpected.

Ride side everyone!!!

I've watched several videos similar to this over the years.  Can't help but think how fast the SHTF!!!  Obvious the rider was going way over what a reasonable speed should be given the traffic situation.  Presume the motorway had limit of 50 KPH--typical for suburban highways in GB--which is just a few ticks over 30 MPH.  He had to be pushing 60+ MPH.  My opinion is that there's no way EITHER driver could have avoided that collision at that speed.  It's ironic that the within the last few 100 to 150 ft of the bike's journey, there was a large "SLOW" sign painted on the roadway at the beginning of the intersection markings.  RIP rider….