Anyone ever think of saying f it?

bigd

I know there's quite a few union haters here,but working in a union for the last 27 years has given me a very good life.I don't say f it and I can honestly say I'm happy.

Pension is doing fine,annuity looks good,savings is good enough for me,every thing is payed for and I get two to three months off a year.I don't have kids,so the time off allows me to travel and enjoy life...mainly national parks and great motorcycle areas.I look for places I want to be,see if they have work,go there,work and make some money and then play for a few weeks or months.We are blessed with a beautifull,interesting country and I feel blessed that I have been able to experience a lot of it.

As a card I just bought for a friends b -day says,"the best things in life are not things."

Enjoy...it's later than you think.

Haters keep hating.

Edited by drc32-0

I know there's quite a few union haters here,but working in a union for the last 27 years has given me a very good life.I don't say f it and I can honestly say I'm happy.

Pension is doing fine,annuity looks good,savings is good enough for me,every thing is payed for and I get two to three months off a year.I don't have kids,so the time off allows me to travel and enjoy life...mainly national parks and great motorcycle areas.I look for places I want to be,see if they have work,go there,work and make some money and then play for a few weeks or months.We are blessed with a beautifull,interesting country and I feel blessed that I have been able to experience a lot of it.

As a card I just bought for a friends b -day says,"the best things in life are not things."

Enjoy...it's later than you think.

Haters keep hating.

Union here too, 18 years USW. The last 5 years we've given away more than we've gained. Pay is good? Yes. Pension good? For now. Benefits? On par. But there's still nothing that can stop them from making us work 72 hours a week and never see our families.

Sounds like you've got a great job--congratulations!!!  I'm not aware of anybody that has anything against unions per se, as long as the unions don't tip the balance of power so far toward the worker that the stranglehold they have on the corporation kills the goose-that-lays-the-golden-egg.  When too much power is held by the corporation, similarly bad things can happen, too.  The problem with many of the large auto unions in Detroit is that they became too powerful and complacent, believing they couldn't be replaced by other workers equally talented and eager to do a better job of building quality automobiles.  Once the unions adopted the stance that the company paying their workers' salaries had to be negotiated with on an adversarial basis, all cooperation ceased and the union essentially arranged for and caused their workers' termination notices.  Same happened years ago in the US steel industry and is still happening in the commercial construction industry.

Unions have figured prominently in the advancement of workers' rights since the early 1900s, but the way they wielded their power with oblivious egocentricity in the last few decades has decimated the US manufacturing industry to the point of near-death.  At some point, the pendulum will swing back to center and hopefully wiser heads will prevail….

Secret is there is no right answer. Be happy with the choice you are making. If you aren't, maybe try a different route. I work way harder than I should and many long days then I have easy weeks where I hardly work at all. Works good for me now. Growing up on the poorer side of things I find that I work long hours even when I don't 'need' the money just because I feel guilty to turn it down.

Kids will grow up with or without you. I can make a god argument for more time or less time with them. No right answers. Or more exact, no perfect answer.

Biggie

I am quite happy to live within my means. Just sold my modest house in a nice town to buy a modest house in the country on a couple acres and will be building my dream polebarn in the spring.

Like my job, but have always tried to live so that if myself or my wife lost our job we could always live on the others income. No credit cards, low (currently no) car payments and not living to impress anyone.

Live comfortable, yes. Not interested in living like a king.

Never quite understood why anyone would buy some expensive house in a neighborhood when you can spend the same or less money on a decent house on some land.

I think about quitting my job, taking a vacation day, calling in sick, EVERY SINGLE MORNING when I wake up. But that usually lasts for the first 4-5 snoozes of the alarm clock. Then I get up and shower and I'm happy I have a job. Truthfully it's just the waking up part I hate, not the job. I was that kid who his parents had to wake him up on Christmas morning to come open presents. 

I think I've done a decent job of living within my means already. I bought a smaller house than what I could afford and I drive a 10 year old truck because I don't want to make payments on a new one. I'd rather spend the money on racing, vacations, my fiance, saving for an early retirement, etc. I'm also lucky enough to have a job that still provides a pension. I'm one of the only people my age that I know has a pension through their work, aside from some gov't people. Makes it hard to leave my company when I've been with them for 9 years.

Lol ive got 19+ inthe job and a good pension going why leave and waste it. But i still think about it everyday.

Desperately trying to find a semi-rural homestead in the Florida outback - on the edge of cable service, lol

just me and the gators...

Oooo!  I like that.  Thinking about the moat option, are ya?

Hell, with global warming and rising sea levels, you could own ocean-front property in southern AL in about 20 years….

Oooo!  I like that.  Thinking about the moat option, are ya?

Hell, with global warming and rising sea levels, you could own ocean-front property in southern AL in about 20 years….

Not quite that bad, yet. Do have to pick carefully to avoid low spots that will be threatened in the next 50 years or so.

What I see is that a second "undeveloped (swamp)" inland waterway will open up down the East coast of Florida.

I would look farther inland to avoid that. And Northern Florida is ok for hundred(s) of years, but not forever.

I think kids are only tangentially related to this discussion.

Happy or not happy is the real question; kids just add additional obligations that you have to consider before your own happiness.

My kid is worth it. I don't think anyone can really appreciate how easy that is to say until their 20 minute old daughter shits on their arm, but all that said, I don't fault anyone for not wanting (or thinking they don't want) kids. Still spent the weekend posting our Xbox and PS2 on eBay. That's the kind of stuff filling closets that we could use more efficiently rather than moving.

Next is te garage. Who wants EX500, CBR F2, and 600RR parts I forgot I owned??

I once said F it and quit a job because management made some terrible decisions that chased off some clients and cost the company losses in the 8 figure range.  I let them know I left because they were morons.  I didn't even look for a job for 6 months.

• Upvote 1