Best Ducati ever built

Hoblick

Cost of ownership and valve intervals are to the point where I would own one.  

It never made sense for me to own a motorcycle with a 6k interval.  No way I am having a bike down for scheduled maintenance 2 or 3 times a season.

They are at 15k and 18k now...  Even the 1199 and 899...

ill stick my nose in on this.

i will say Ducatis NEED belt changes and valve adjustments at the recommend intervals.

and on the flip side, i have seen Japanese bikes go 30k miles without needing a valve adjustment.

so yeah there is a difference, if your not capable of doing your own maintenance, it does get expensive.

but the extended intervals on ducatis now makes it alot more appealing for the general public more than it use to.

i know that i never really thought of buying one until they intervals got at 10k plus miles.

but lets be honest, its a premium brand and one or another your gonna pay a little more for that.

they warranties are great on the new bikes, and the dealerships will take care of you.

like i have said time and time again, the best buying and after purchase experience i have had have been with Ducati and Harley dealers.  the rest of the industry should be taking notes

I hear ya, but I bet there was alot of planned maintenance involved in those miles? I would love a Duc, but could not have it be my only ride. I guess I like boring V-Stroms and SV650's that get 100K plus miles with minimal maintenance. :)

Look up a gent name Dennis Matson.  1199 around the world.  He will dispell the 100k myth.  Again, Ducati has probably done a poor job of marketing the fact the bikes are now VERY dependable and VERY much in line with what you expect with the Japanese.  It's true and we have tons of examples of such.

There's also bad.  But you have that with ANY brand.  What I am saying is that what the GP typically know or remember is stuff from a long time ago and previous generations of Ducati...

And also understand that Ducati has taken LARGE steps to reduce the labor times for Major service intervals.  It used to take a TON of hours on th eolder gen models.  Now the effort is lessened due to better engineering and thought towards this.  The cost of the first major service is in line with the Japanese.  It isn't thousands of dollars.  It's on par.

As Hob stated, it is a little more due to the quality of parts and yes, the belts.  The belts are key, but this is simple and pretty easy to do. 

And also understand that Ducati has taken LARGE steps to reduce the labor times for Major service intervals. It used to take a TON of hours on th eolder gen models. Now the effort is lessened due to better engineering and thought towards this. The cost of the first major service is in line with the Japanese. It isn't thousands of dollars. It's on par.

As Hob stated, it is a little more due to the quality of parts and yes, the belts. The belts are key, but this is simple and pretty easy to do.

The short belt intervals were always a part of Ducati ownership that kept me from considering owning one. Since they are no longer required at 7500, and now being done at 18k, that's a reasonable interval.

The panigale goes a step further, it's a chain motor and really could end up pushing those intervals further, once the motors are adapted to other platforms.

I believe that will be the direction Ducati takes things.

Look up a gent name Dennis Matson.  1199 around the world.  He will dispell the 100k myth.  Again, Ducati has probably done a poor job of marketing the fact the bikes are now VERY dependable and VERY much in line with what you expect with the Japanese.  It's true and we have tons of examples of such.

There's also bad.  But you have that with ANY brand.  What I am saying is that what the GP typically know or remember is stuff from a long time ago and previous generations of Ducati...

They are premium bikes in allot of ways, I am just not a premium guy. :) A new Super Tenere will be about as premium as I would go, and compared to its intended competition, it is a very low maintenance and highly dependable and versatile machine. Hats off to Ducati, Triumph and BMW for continuing to think outside the box, and Ducati especially has impressed me over the years in allot of areas. But I am a Japanese bike kind of guy, and maybe even a potential American bike kind of guy "eventually". 

They are premium bikes in allot of ways, I am just not a premium guy. :) A new Super Tenere will be about as premium as I would go, and compared to its intended competition, it is a very low maintenance and highly dependable and versatile machine. Hats off to Ducati, Triumph and BMW for continuing to think outside the box, and Ducati especially has impressed me over the years in allot of areas. But I am a Japanese bike kind of guy, and maybe even a potential American bike kind of guy "eventually". 

Tenere is a really awesom bike.  Great choice!  There's a gton of options out there for a ton of different owners.  As long as you are riding, it's all good!!!  There aren't very many "bad" bikes out there...

• Upvote 1