Motorcycle Shop

saidin270

Hey guys I had a small accident over the weekend. Walked away fine but my bike didn't. Im trying to save the fairings as much as possible so I dont have to buy any new pieces and having to pay a shit load of cash. I was wondering if anyone knew of a few shops around the Cincinnati area that could bondo and paint the fairings for me. The conditions of the fairings run from scratches to fractures. If anyone has any information It would help me out a ton. Thanks guys.

it would probably cost more to fix it if you got someone else to do it, just call around some body shops and ask them

i have never done it before, and someone jump in if they have before, but I think the plastics would be fairly easy to repair yourself

sorry for the spelling ahead of time......

i know a guy that put his zx-12 upper back together after fliping it with plastic weld i think i spelled it right the little kit of 2 tubes is about $12. dollars at ur loc.. auto part store the same people make j-b weld

Hey guys I had a small accident over the weekend. Walked away fine but my bike didn't. Im trying to save the fairings as much as possible so I dont have to buy any new pieces and having to pay a shit load of cash. I was wondering if anyone knew of a few shops around the Cincinnati area that could bondo and paint the fairings for me. The conditions of the fairings run from scratches to fractures. If anyone has any information It would help me out a ton. Thanks guys.

Sorry to here about the crash. The most important thing is that you are okay. The bike can be fixed.

If the firing isn't in too bad a condition, why don't you do the work yourself? Get some bondo, fix the cracks and repaint to original or even do a custom job. Prep with a primer before you repaint. Use several coats of clear to make it look like crystal. Save the cash for performance mods.

Good luck. Glad you're okay.

Don't use bondo on ABS plastic. SlowBusa had it right - to do it right, you need to plastic weld it back together to avoid cracking. Bondo will crack as the ABS isn't the best choice for using Bondo on. You can and get away with it, but the best way is to plastic weld and then repaint using proper amounts of flex agent in the paint...

Or, just buy a set off Ebay and be done with it. The amount of hours, the fact that getting it painted will cost a good deal of coin, you can probably pick up a set for under $700 for that bike online...

Ive looked ebay and have found a company that produces full ABS plastic sets and paints them from japan for about $700 dollars shipped. The only thing though is my bike is originally red and the company uses a red, black, and white paint scheme. My tank wouldn't match the new plastics so I would have to get it repainted. How much would that probably cost?

I looked over my plastics in more detail and noticed some of the fairing have really bad cracks and some of the holes have been broken that I dont think can be fixed easily. I dont really have body work experience and I dont want to chance messing up my fairings in the first place. Do you guys think I should mess with painting the tank to match new plastics or should I try and save my existing fairings by plastic welding them?

Ive looked ebay and have found a company that produces full ABS plastic sets and paints them from japan for about $700 dollars shipped. The only thing though is my bike is originally red and the company uses a red, black, and white paint scheme. My tank wouldn't match the new plastics so I would have to get it repainted. How much would that probably cost?

I looked over my plastics in more detail and noticed some of the fairing have really bad cracks and some of the holes have been broken that I dont think can be fixed easily. I dont really have body work experience and I dont want to chance messing up my fairings in the first place. Do you guys think I should mess with painting the tank to match new plastics or should I try and save my existing fairings by plastic welding them?

look around more on ebay. they usually have a number of different paint schemes for most bikes coming out of hong kong. i think i read from their ebay thing that they make them as ordered as well so you might try emailing them if you want the same color fairings. getting a tank painted by itself wouldnt be more than a hundred or two methinks, but im not really deep into that scene so someone correct me if im wrong. if you cant take the tank off yourself its going to be more obviously...

Im going to ask a few body shops around the milford area if they can fix my fairings but Im feeling that I'll have to buy a full new set. Ebay looks like my best option even though its going to cost me :) Just hope the after market kit fits right and isn't a PITA to make work. Thanks everyone for the help and Ill try and post some pics up once I figure out whats going on.

if it's for your F3, I recommend just patching them up and repainting yourself...I am going through the same process right now and I'll be more than willing to help you out with any questions. Honestly, I was really intimidated at first, but I've got almost all the sanding finished(whole bike needed sanding + painting) and it wasn't too bad at all for my 600RR

I would appreciate the help since Im not auto body expert but I think I have to replace almost all of my plastics. Like Ive said before some of the cracks are really bad and would require a good bit of plastic weld or bondo....but the lower side fairings could probably be saved since their just scratched up. Ill have to post some pictures up tonight to show how bad they truly are. Maybe after that I might be able to figure out how to better go about this situation.

FWIW........One of the small bike shops in Toledo has a guy they use who actually welds the plastic.....& I'm not talking JB Weld.....I'm talking it actually melts the plastic back together, then he grinds it smooth for paint. Perhaps there's someone in your area who can do the same thing. Was fairly inexpensive........less than $100 for ~4 or 5 welds/repairs IIRC.

I had about a 6" crack in my upper fairing, and several smaller ones that needed repair before going to my painter. I asked him if he could fix them himself with bondo or something, and he felt it wouldn't last long if repaired that way.

Sorry guys for beating a dead horse I guess but I took my fairings to a friend who can do motorcycle work last night. He said some could be saved but I would be better off buying a new set off ebay. So here in the next few days Ill be ordering my new painted fairings and hopefully have them on by the end of May roughly. Ill have to post some pics of the finished look. Thanks guys again for all the input and help.