GP karts in columbus...

Moto-Brian

They really need to fix their website. Terrible...

Does anyone know the age requirements for karting there? Was comin back from Indy today and thought to stop by with my 15 yr old. They don't open until noon so, wanted to see if anyone knew before we headed that way.

Also, idea on pricing.

ages 8 to 88...
16 and older have to hav a DL
18 and under have to have a parent  sign a  waiver and be present
price range for non members 7 bucks for a day pass plus 20 for the first race  races get cheaper as you increase the number.. to 3 pack or 5 pack

edit 16 and under with out a DL have to start on junior carts with a minimum height of 55"  junior cart drivers can test up to adult carts after a few sessions..

Edited by TwiztedRabbit

I'll give a littel review since it was my first time there...

Decided to stop in since we went karting the night before in Indy and my oldest boy (15) wasn't allowed to drive on the weekends per the rules...  Had to be 18 there.  Insane...

We came in and registered like any other karting place which was cool.  Pretty easy and quick.  The ladies at the desk were awesome.  They informed me about the little kart track for 4-8 year olds.  I thought that was really nice of them to see my little guy and ask.  Good up sell right there! 

We registered.  The $7 day pass is kinda weak.  Why not just go to a tad higher daily race or combo package price?  To get the money back from the membership, I would have to do 5 visits just to break even.  That isn't going to be the case and even if so, 5 times is a lot really.  Maybe fall more in line with most places and do something like $22 per race and do packages.  They were a tad high in my opinion, but there are some things I really liked and worth a little more I suppose...

The briefing room and video were typical.  But there needs to be a few things considered.  The super course is kinda big.  Would be good to discuss a track map.  Also discuss where pit in is and what to expect when you round that last turn as it is VERY tight getting into the pits...

The track is really cool.  More on that later.  But I would HIGHLY suggest a system where the race # is posted and maybe a screen that shows who is up next.  Most the K1 stuff and kart tracks I've been to, have an on deck listing so people get ready.  The race number is good as the PA system was hard to hear and they really only said it one time.  Just a suggestion...  Didn't ruin the experience...

The track is really cool.  Nice and long.  Nice layout and challenging.  I do think they need to get some grip in the back section especially.  BUT!!!  But, the challenge is getting through with that environment.  Everyone had to deal with the same thing and getting the fast laps was hard and really made you change things around.

They do need to get some different velcro for the neck braces.  They were flying off people all the time and to get black flagged for it would suck and I'd expect an additional race for it.  That's an equipment failure and not caused by the driver.  I almost lost mine twoce out of the three races I ran.  Just fix the velcro and it will be a non-issue.

The kids working and the counter girls were all great.  Very nice, informative and helped when needed. 

We got to do the kiddie track with my 4 year old and the girl that helped was awesome.  She was so good with grayson and really made him at ease and allowed me to be on the track to coach and encourage.  VERY COOL!

My oldest buy and I used the first race to tow him a little and to follow him a bit.  He's never done it before and I think he did really good.  The first race was a wash and I told him the second one will be faster and to try and stay with me as I lead.  He did really good and even though he fell off pace, he didn't finish last in times and in fact, was mid pack!

By our third race, I told him I was going to try and set a fast set of laps.  He held well and until he got into a little battle, I saw him there a while.  He did spin later, but he got down into a high :62 which I think is great for his first time ever in a kart.  He asked good questions and we got to watch a few kart guys run the track and we discussed what they were doing.  Watching them helped me a ton also and we both worked together to put those things into the last session and it paid off.

Good times and I will be going back for sure.  The "issues" I guess I would call them were trivial.  The track and the karts were good.  I got a good one the last session, I think and it helped.  The second one was really loose on left handers.  Controllable, but loose.  But I like that. I like that it isn't the same each time.  We got three races in and I think we did really good and above all, had a blast!!!

Awesome time man.. the super track isn't an all the time thing and the other track isnt used a lot that's why there is grip issues plus it's always cold in there.. o agree the neck braces are an issue I've almost lost mine a few times as well so cool that gray got out there. Bet he was smiling so big!

I tucked mine into my hoodie to keep it from flying off, couldnt find one with good velcro. I really think Kart 17 has issuses. It was loose, chattered, bounced and just rode rough. I mentioned it but they kept using it. I love that place and have gone a couple times, if I lived closer I would deff have a membership and a very expensive nightly routine. Good seeing you again Brian

I tucked mine into my hoodie to keep it from flying off, couldnt find one with good velcro. I really think Kart 17 has issuses. It was loose, chattered, bounced and just rode rough. I mentioned it but they kept using it. I love that place and have gone a couple times, if I lived closer I would deff have a membership and a very expensive nightly routine. Good seeing you again Brian

I had 17 for the race.  I agree that it feel weird.  It was almost as if a wheel was out of balance, but I think it was more likely an alignment issue.  Seemed worst to me when I was off the gas, so it could have been something with engine-braking too.

Regardless, I went faster on that kart than I had on any of the others in practice and qualifying.  That wasn't saying much, but it was only during the race that I really started to figure out where there was grip in the braking zones.  I was still pretty slow.