2015-2016 proposed hunting rule changes

Gump

You can easily submit your opinion online or attend in person.

You'll have to research the proposed change before commenting so that you're commenting on the correct rule, as there are many of them.

Topics such as hunting over bait on public Property, deer bag limits, et cetera.

I'll keep my opinion out of this thread.

I would hope some of the hunting enthusiasts, and conservationist would submit your non-crazy opinion so that the non-commercial voice can be heard.

http://wildlife.ohiodnr.gov/stay-informed/proposed-rule-changes-csi-review

They really do need to ditch deer gun season. It gets dangerous. I agree with reduction of bag limits for deer. Maybe also need to allow nothing smaller than a 4 point.

I do think they need to allow 3-4 geese to be taken in middle of April. And extend September geese season by an extra week.

I think bag limits dont matter as long as they let poaching go on. Until they crack down on all the deer taken by poachers the herds numbers will not get any better. A shorter shotgun season is not gonna help either. I like the week long muzzle loader idea though. Moving youth gun weekend to oct is gonna piss off the bow hunters i bet.

I do not want to see a gun season during the rut or anywhere near it, don't like the doe only season that close to rut either. I dont care if its for the kids, sorry. As for the rest i have not had time to read this article.

They want to make it more family friendly move part of the gun season to christmas break lol. But thats way past the rut. That early in the fall it would still be warm out.

They proposed a two day deer gun season December 26th and 27th. That's convienent for families also.

I don't want hear a complaints from any bow hunters. Your season is WAY too long, your arrow speeds are faster, your kill range improved, and hunting over bait is for pansies. ;)

I do not want to see a gun season during the rut or anywhere near it, don't like the doe only season that close to rut either. I dont care if its for the kids, sorry. As for the rest i have not had time to read this article.

I'm betting they want to put it on that date to give the youth a better chance because of the rut.

Is it wrong of me not to want to be in the woods during days especially carved out for novice hunters?

I wouldn't want to be on any public property during any deer gun season. I'd like to think the parents or adults, who have to be with the youth, would be extra cautious.

Im not real happy about being on public land either. But for some of us thats our only option. I try to go far out when i have the boys on public land away from the crowds. One day when i hit the lotto i will buy some land an put a nice deer camp on it.

I understand. In the 90's I use to ask different farmers permission to squirrel or rabbit hunt with some succes. Deer hunting privaye property during gun season, is prime real estate, where usually their family members, if they hunt all, always hunt deer gun. If you do ever get permission, make sure it's clear between you and the landowner, if it's for one time, multiple times, just you or you and a friend, camping, no camping, screw in ladders or no screw in ladders, et cetera. Nothing pisses off a landowner more than giving someone permission and all the sudden their bringing friends, screwing in foot ladders, riding quads around, et cetera.

Do you enter the lotteries for NASA Glenn and I think Ravenna might still do it? NASA Glenn was fun. They do it right so your not walking across each other. 1-2 people per sectioned off piece of property.

Im not real happy about being on public land either. But for some of us thats our only option. I try to go far out when i have the boys on public land away from the crowds. One day when i hit the lotto i will buy some land an put a nice deer camp on it.

There are many here interested in the same thing. If we pooled together, I bet we could get a nice piece of property. It'd be pretty easy. Form an LLC, LLC owns land, each person gets an equal stake in the LLC, setup bylaws for what is allowed and what isn't, insure the property. For instance, say 20 people are interested. Setup 20 shares of said LLC. Each person has one share. That share only owns 1/20th of the LLC, not the property. The LLC as a whole owns the property. All rules laid out in the bylaws must be followed, and must be approved by X% of votes (usually >51%, which is why an odd number is better). Setup a quick Google calendar for keeping track of who is there and when. Have certain tasks like mowing, clearing trees, etc either assigned or a volunteer list. I've thought about this a lot. It wouldn't be difficult to do. Could be used for hunting, camping, 4wheeling, etc. Run electric to campsites for campers and have clean water and dumping station at the front. I imagine something like Williams, but private and much more space for hunting/extracurricular activities. 

There are many here interested in the same thing. If we pooled together, I bet we could get a nice piece of property. It'd be pretty easy. Form an LLC, LLC owns land, each person gets an equal stake in the LLC, setup bylaws for what is allowed and what isn't, insure the property. For instance, say 20 people are interested. Setup 20 shares of said LLC. Each person has one share. That share only owns 1/20th of the LLC, not the property. The LLC as a whole owns the property. All rules laid out in the bylaws must be followed, and must be approved by X% of votes (usually >51%, which is why an odd number is better). Setup a quick Google calendar for keeping track of who is there and when. Have certain tasks like mowing, clearing trees, etc either assigned or a volunteer list. I've thought about this a lot. It wouldn't be difficult to do. Could be used for hunting, camping, 4wheeling, etc. Run electric to campsites for campers and have clean water and dumping station at the front. I imagine something like Williams, but private and much more space for hunting/extracurricular activities. 

That's a really good idea.  I know pilots have done this around the country to establish private airfields - often with "aeropark" hangar-homes in stunningly beautiful areas.  I mention it because I bet there are similar "risk" provisions in the LLCs, as well as mutual "common area" maintenance expectations, etc.  Radio controlled airplane clubs also do this.

Do it. Laying out the proposed rules clearly and intended use should be first, I'd think, so those interested can actually commit or not. Hunting and 4 wheeling don't mix at the same time. Neither does someone target target shooting while someone's hunting.

Edited by Gump

This unable to edit thing is annoying.

Then when the rules and intended use is known you can Tally those really interested and ready to commit, so when a property actually becomes available, it can be purchased. If agreed upon.

Ive tried twice to go in on property. Never works out with all parties happy. Ive not checked into land leases, if im gonna spend money on land i want it to be mine.

I agree when it comes to using it for hunting purposes. it's gotta be an extremely large chunk of land, to sustain the wildlife if you have 20 dudes romping all over it every week or even 1 a week. At that point, it's as good as public property hunting.

I think that could all be worked out PROVIDED the right ratio of land-to-CONTRIBUTING-members was found and the right MEMBERS, but that's a hard, hard, hard thing to work out.  Equity partnerships without an arbiter are tough - ask anyone who co-owns an airplane without one.  I think that's why timeshare memberships work well enough - there's a real estate arbiter responsible for scheduling, upkeep, billing, membership on-boarding and off-boarding, membership rules and so on.

I would love access to reasonably-nearby land for motorcycle trail riding, RC flying, target shooting, camping and ideally decent fishing but wouldn't have the wherewithal to spend a lot on development above the land cost.