Lane Splitting in Ohio

franklyfresh

I amend my thinking on this. I've been driving all over the greater LA Metro area today. A few notes:

Cali riders wear gear. Nearly every one I saw.

Lane splitting is bad-ass and absolutely cuts down on traffic.

Loud pipes do save lives. Being an ohio driver and not expecting the occasional lane splitter, I really appreciated hearing them come before I saw them....generally sport bikes with aftermarket pipes.

Avis gave me a powder blue beetle. I looked gay.

• 2 weeks later...

I amend my thinking on this. I've been driving all over the greater LA Metro area today. A few notes:

Cali riders wear gear. Nearly every one I saw.

Lane splitting is bad-ass and absolutely cuts down on traffic.

Loud pipes do save lives. Being an ohio driver and not expecting the occasional lane splitter, I really appreciated hearing them come before I saw them....generally sport bikes with aftermarket pipes.

Avis gave me a powder blue beetle. I looked gay.

That's because we have helmet laws.  I've seen guys in swim trunks and no shirts wearing helmets out here.

I didn't have split lanes when I was still living in Cleveland despite being greatly tempted only because nobody knew how to stay in their damn lane.  It was hard enough avoiding weaving cars when you were just occupying your lane as normal.  However after learning to split lanes out here in Orange County I may consider it if I (heaven forbid) found myself commuting to work on I-90 when it clogs up from an accident. 

About doors, people can talk about throwing doors open all day but in reality you'll be far past any door opening fuckhead by the time they actually get the door opening.  And in doing so they expose themselves to all kinds of other dangers, especially if they're moving.  The air alone makes it quite difficult to open a door very far, so the door would blow right back shut.  I'm sure they'd go swerving all over the place trying to hold a door open at 30-40mph and would righteously crash themselves.

I can't think of a single time when I've been in a car and seen someone open their door in stop-and-go driving.   If someone does that while bikes are lane splitting past him I'd be first to call it an intentional act.

As was said before, it would have to be legal and accompanied by a massive public information campaign and signs and stuff that all point out not only that lane splitting is legal, but that drivers that change lanes or opening doors have to yield to lane splitters.  

I'd be all for allowing bikes to use the emergency lanes during stop-and-go traffic.  That would allow us to remain safely clear of car doors.

I also advocate a law I call "Vulnerable road user intimidation".  Any person who uses their vehicle to intimidate another vehicle less than half their size.  Any car that tries to muscle a bike out of a lane or tailgate a bike would be charged, and it would be a DUI-level offense - and helmet cam footage can be used to issue the ticket.

Edited by Scruit
  • Upvote 1