lettuce discuss rain water drainage

Gixxus Christ!

Ok so last year we had a concrete patio put in and the guy fucked us in a number of ways. The most noticeable is that it drains to one central point that then floods. My idea is to put in a grated drain and bury 4" pipe to carry the water. Originally I was going to cut a gap in the curb stone and run it to the street but then I discovered these: http://m.homedepot.com/p/NDS-4-in-Polyethylene-Pop-Up-Drainage-Emitters-with-Elbow-422G/100153624?MERCH=REC-_-mobileweb_pip_rr-3-_-100164533-_-100153624-_-N

So I figure as long as this 'emitter' ends up being lower than the drain near the patio it should work fine. Anyone have any experience with these? Any better ideas?

So my first thought is cutting the curb sounds like the city hammering you real quick.  If you use that gizmo then you are going to stop short of the curb.....the water will just come out there and flood that area won't it?

What about French Drain? Big long pipe that holds the water until the ground can absorb it.

French drains fail eventually when the gravel clogs up with silt and clay.

It takes a very long time to fill in with silt. If you are concerned with silt clogging it up, you can wrap it with filter fabric. ODOT and municipalities commonly use this to drain for roadways.

• Upvote 1

That makes very little sense. The idea of the emitter is to carry the water away from the house via a 3" pipe. That means a narrow and relatively shallow trench. It also means not buying a bunch of gravel and other materials on top of the pipe. Tonik I understand you are a fan of french drains. It's been noted. If, once I stake, line and run a line level where I plan to dig I find I don't have sufficient slope to use this thingy, I'll consider a french drain vs running the additional 5 feet to the curb.

Ok, the next step is clear. We need to drop some acid and sit in on your patio and wait for it to rain so we can ponder the plan. It may be awhile before it rains, we will need a lot of acid.

• Upvote 1

Ok, the next step is clear. We need to drop some acid and sit in on your patio and wait for it to rain so we can ponder the plan. It may be awhile before it rains, we will need a lot of acid.

Lol, not sure I could handle acid man, I don't even smoke anymore. Maybe a few beers...and its gonna rain today.

French drains will last a LONG time if constructed properly.  If you're concerned about silt buildup, use # 2's - not to mention they won't wash out during a downpour. 

Edited by baptizo

I'll be doing some catch basins and french drains after i put my garage in. I'll have a water run off that will dam up on the north side of the garage that i need to divert to the opposite side along with the down spouts.

My point is that if I can move the water to the street where it will enter the storm drain system I will feel better about my property staying dryer.[/quote

Is there a storm sewer near by? Most municipalities don't like people to dump water directly onto the road. Causes asphalt Rot over time and in the winter can cause freezing issues in the street. If it goes straight to a storm sewer there's less issue there.