Laying the bike down.

HeavyDuty

Did you post a thread with pics? I seem to remember that from last year.

I hit one an posted, pics probably still in my gallery. Just straightened up out of a curve and hoped it would miss me as it took off, hit my headlights and died.

A few others ran into one around the same time coincidentally and posted, Damn vultures were on a mission to take bikers out.

The other was in fact danimal, he had vulture insides on the front of his.

Edited by claine650

When cruiser riders stop avoiding the front brake, they'll stop sliding their bikes into shit.

Maybe.

Glad you're still here, man. The missus, too.

I was always under the impression from hearing things that on a cruiser the back brake was just more important than the front. I believed it until I rented a Fatboy a couple years ago. I ended up riding it the same way o would ride the vfr. 99.99%+ front brake only except in a hard braking situation when it was still 85% front.

Both brakes all the time.  Who practices emergency braking and emergency swerving at highway speeds?  I like to find a deserted road and practice at speeds between 50 and 80.  Even after eight to ten high speed emergency stops, my Brembos do not fade.  Good times.

I have heard people claim knowledge of some accident in which the "a helmet would have killed him" or "a seatbelt would have killed him". I categorize "I had to lay it down" together with those. It is something that they think is cool to say, but makes experienced and intelligent folks think; "dumbass".

Never say never - however real cases are so rare that nobody should actually plan on doing it.

• Upvote 1

I have heard people claim knowledge of some accident in which the "a helmet would have killed him" or "a seatbelt would have killed him". I categorize "I had to lay it down" together with those. It is something that they think is cool to say, but makes experienced and intelligent folks think; "dumbass".

Never say never - however real cases are so rare that nobody should actually plan on doing it.

I wear my seatbelt *most* everywhere I drive, but I think there are scenarios where a seatbelt could kill you. The odds are NOT in your favor though. My buddy got in an accident where the dumbass driver ditched the car at 90mph. He was in the backseat and the axle broke and tore through into the cabin through the seat he would have been firmly glued to had he been wearing his seat belt. He admits this probably would have killed him, but now wears his seat belt religiously.

I'm not disagreeing with your points, I just think that wearing a seatbelt has a couple scenarios that could end badly. I don't think wearing a helmet has ever killed anybody though, and I'd love to hear somebody's anti-helmet rationale.

"I couldn't see the semi truck because the helmet limited my vision, so I had to lay the bike down" haha [emoji615]

Edited by Staubig

My cousin was ejected from a car crash that would have killed him for sure if he hadn't been... He was very lucky to not be wearing it. Shit happens. I still wear mine though, because for every story where a seat belt causes death, there's probably a thousand where it saves

My cousin was ejected from a car crash that would have killed him for sure if he hadn't been... He was very lucky to not be wearing it. Shit happens. I still wear mine though, because for every story where a seat belt causes death, there's probably a thousand where it saves

That's the key.  There are rare stories like "The passing truck just caught a half-inch of his helmet and broke his neck - if he had not been wearing a helmet then the semi would have missed his head."  or  "I hit a moose and survived by laying down across the bench seat - had I been wearing a seatbelt I'd have been held in place when the moose came through the windshield"

These stories exist, and they are probably true - but in the vast and overwhelming majority of cases the safest path is to wear the belt, wear the helmet, stay on your wheels.