Need opinions/experiences on a new daily driver

Bad324

Once the house closes in July I will be looking to get in to a much more fuel efficient vehicle. Mainly looking at sedans but might consider an SUV again and keep my wife in a car instead of moving her to an SUV when her lease is up.

Looking for 25+ mpg, under 45,000 miles and under $15k preferably with a sunroof

Interested in all opinions and experiences with any of these models:

*2013+ Altima

*2009+ Accord

*2012+ Sonata

*I also found a deal on a 2013 Jetta TDI which intrigues me but really don't know anything about them.

*or whatever other suggestions I'm not thinking of

Mazda has been doing really well lately too. The 2014+ Mazda3's get around 40mpg highway. 

I looked at Subaru Imprezas and the 2012+ engine is really anemic. Gas milage isn't bad (35-ish) but it took quite a while to go from 60-75 on the freeway when I was test driving the Sport Premium version a couple months ago. The Mazda on the other hand was pretty peppy.

The Legacy has a larger engine than the Impreza so I'm sure it handles a lot better. 

I have a 2011 Sonata Limited 2.0T and have put almost 90k on it since I bought it new. No issues or complaints, fun to drive an roomy. I average 26 - 29 in the city and have pulled 33+ on long trips.

"TurnOne" has a TDI Golf, which should be the same powertrain as the Jetta.  He reports 55+ mpg

My mother-in-law has an Altima.  The 4 cylinder will get 30 mpg, but it's a big "mid-sized" car.  I had a 2005, and it was longer than our SUV in both wheel-base and overall length.  The transmissions have gotten more complicated since that generation.  Mine only got 26 mpg with the 4-speed.  The 6-speed does a lot better.

I think a V6 would ruin your mileage on any of the options you've listed.

Impala, you can get the last body style dirt cheap now that the new one is popular. Guy at work just picked up a 2013 (old style ) with 25k miles for $13k they get 30/22 mpg

I should have mentioned that I probably will no longer own a GM vehicle with the exception of Corvette, Camaro or Firebird. I'll lease one for my wife but I drive too many miles to lease

We sold the wife's 2001 Jetta tdi last year with 387k miles. Absolutely the best vehicle I have ever owned.

Timing belt/water pump every 100k was the biggest expense @ $600 ea.

One set of struts on the rear, one front wheel bearing and that was it, not counting oil changes every 5k and fuel filters every 12k along with the occasional brake service.

We bought it new for $23k and when ready, will be buying another (this time she wants a golf tdi) new for roughly the same price 15 years later. Hers was an auto and always avg around 48mpg city and low 50's on the freeway

Fwiw-Performance Toyota/vw in Wooster has been a great dealership to work with

Sent from [emoji631] on my iPhone using Tapatalk

I should have mentioned that I probably will no longer own a GM vehicle with the exception of Corvette, Camaro or Firebird. I'll lease one for my wife but I drive too many miles to lease

I know some don't like them but my wifes has had 158k trouble free miles and she drives 150 miles a day round trip to work

I wouldn't buy a Hyundai or a kia, even tho the optima looks awesome. We test drove a sonata and it was gutless...slower than my 98 camry. Both companies have had serious quality issues in the past and I've read and heard about complete engine failures inside of 15k miles and them not warranting it because it didn't have a Hyundai brand oil filter installed. Both brands have come a long way but I still don't trust them for a $15k purchase. 95% of all subaru purchased in the last 10 years are still on the road.

Suggestions for cars are so hard to give. For me at least it's such a personal decision. It's second only to a new m/c. You just have to drive each and see which one speaks to you. That's me though. I know others don't care and get what is practical.

I never got a hard on for subi's. They're owners are a fanatically loyal bunch though. Just don't see the appeal.

The new Mazda 3's are quite nice, but I don't think the new ones are in your price range. I'm not sure if it was 2014 or 2015 for the major change to them, but before that, they were fairly spartan, lacking nice interiors and tech considered standard compared to most competition.

Out of the options you listed, I'd say Sonata or Accord. The Legacy is probably a good option. I have a Hyundai Veloster Turbo (manual). Overall I like it pretty well. It gets decent mileage and is fun to drive and practical being a hatchback, but it's not necessarily the most practical/comfortable daily driver.

My main complaints are road noise (fine up to about 50mph, but freeway speed is annoying) and low profile tires. I've destroyed 1 wheel, and 1 tire due to potholes on Hamilton and Polaris in the past 3 years. My lease is up in about 1.5 years and I think I'll probably be looking at a pickup... Likely a 2015 Colorado so I can haul a track bike :)

Edited by 8Rider6

I love my Subaru Legacy. I'm actually on my second one, both 2012s. Had the first for about a year then totaled it in an accident (plowed into a deer at 5am on the turnpike so take a wild guess what speed j was going...) and now I've had my second for a year. Put about 40k on it in the year and it's had no issues whatsoever. Plus the all wheel drive is amazing in the winter with the weather we get around here. Think I paid 14k for the 2012 last year, so you should be able to find a nice used one for under 15k, even with a subroof. Gets about 32mpg highway, 28mpg city for me. I couldn't be happier with it.

Of the choices you presented, I'd go accord.

My brother has the mazda 3 and it's nice except the entire front is one piece of very low to the ground plastic. He hit a varmint and destroyed the entire front nose cone. Insurance claim for blasting a whistle pig makes it a no go in my book.

Edited by max power

We drove a new Mazda 3 and hated it. It felt very small, the weird screen thing stuck out of the dash like an afterthought and it had the old school "how hot do you want it? How hard do you want it? Where do you want it?" Heater control Knobs. Power was unimpressive and the radio didn't sound very good either. There was pretty much nothing we liked about that car which surprised me because one of my favorite old cars I had was a protégé.

Worst thing about Hyundai or kia is the astronomical depreciation they experience once you drive them off the lot.

Subaru holds its value the best, I imagine VW is up there with them as well.

Might not be a concern if you plan to own for many years though

We picked a 2012 Mazda 6 over the 3 to replace my daughter's Ford Escape. Paid about $14.5k and she absolutely loves it. Great engine, nice fit and finish, lots of room, quiet and is nimble. Not as good mpg as the 3, but more pleasant to drive.

I've got a 2013 accord coupe with the v6. It is an absolute blast to drive, sounds awesome, and feels very roomy and comfortable . You can never go wrong with honda, let alone with an accord. I get about 38 mpg with the cruise control set at 70mph highway, 31 32ish city with a light foot and economy mode on. Best purchase I have ever made for sure. I highly recommend looking on auto trader or something, find one and test drive it.