Honda grom

rawlins87

I owned one for a little while...

What were you thoughts on it? Why did you sell it?

I've owned a few ruckus' and am debating on getting another ruckus or leaning towards the grom because of double the power and faster.

variety is the spice of life.  get the grom, try it out, and if you don't like it you can always sell it.   i have a zuma and grom, both lots of fun

My thoughts on the grom:

They're a novelty, tons of fun... But really kinda pointless as a motorcycle.

The seat sucks horribly

The bike is not happy at speeds above 50mph. The chassis is fine, but the engine is not. To hold 55mph, you have to wring it's neck.

On the plus side, you can get away with murder on one. No one thinks you're up to no good (like excessive speeding and general hooligan riding) when you're on a bike that looks like it was built for a 10 year old. They just laugh and wave.

Other than that... They're a blast and I miss mine a bunch! I sold it so I could pay cash for a different bike rather than financing.

Edited by 3.504

My thoughts on the grom:

They're a novelty, tons of fun... But really kinda pointless as a motorcycle.

The seat sucks horribly

The bike is not happy at speeds above 50mph. The chassis is fine, but the engine is not. To hold 55mph, you have to wring it's neck.

On the plus side, you can get away with murder on one. No one thinks you're up to no good (like excessive speeding and general hooligan riding) when you're on a bike that looks like it was built for a 10 year old. They just laugh and wave.

Other than that... They're a blast and I miss mine a bunch! I sold it so I could pay cash for a different bike rather than financing.

Was yours stock? I've heard of people doing 60-70 with intake, exhaust and tuning.

The ruckus would only do 40. I'd be happy with 45-55mph.

Was yours stock? I've heard of people doing 60-70 with intake, exhaust and tuning.

intake, exhaust on mine and it would do 70 if i was in full tuck..  and it was sketchy.

the springs are super soft.. i mean you can bottom the fork out easily just holding the brake and pushing the front end down..  same with rear shock.

that stuff being said, it was fun on the cart track, and i hooned it around my yard a lot.  in the end, it wasn't as much fun on the cart track as a xr100.. mostly because it cost a lot more and i didn't want to fuck it up.  so my intended purpose for it didn't work out the way i wanted, and i just really had no use for it.  but if you have a ruckus and use it a lot, then the Grom would be a a nice upgrade.  and it would be freaking amazing at deals gap.

it was fun on the cart track, and i hooned it around my yard a lot.  in the end, it wasn't as much fun on the cart track as a xr100.. mostly because it cost a lot more and i didn't want to fuck it up. 

This is the first time I've seen a Grom owner actually admit this.

FWIW, I do think the Grom can be faster than an XR100 if the layout favors top-speed.    My XR is far from fresh, but it will barely break 50 mph with the taller "PIRC gearing." (14/46 I think)

What's the smallest DR they make?  a 125?  Is that one street legal?  I think ti would be a ton cheaper than a Grom, and just as fast.  Not as short, but the larger wheels would make it less scary at speed.

• Upvote 1

What's the smallest DR they make? a 125? Is that one street legal? I think ti would be a ton cheaper than a Grom, and just as fast. Not as short, but the larger wheels would make it less scary at speed.

Guys on smj have laces 12s to ttr125s so it is possible to run the same small wheel setup. I guess that is a viable and certainly cheaper option like you suggested.

Yes, completely stock.

I weigh 175lbs, and I topped it around 58mph on flat ground, and 62mph down hill. It took a long time to get to these speeds as well. It'll get to 45 mph reasonably quick (considering), but once you hit that wall, make sure you have time.

I know people can get over 60mph out of them, but the engine is turning so many rpm I wouldn't want to sustain that while cruising down the road.

Don't get me wrong, there's a special place in my heart for the little bike, I want another one, just don't need another one.

Yes, completely stock.

I weigh 175lbs, and I topped it around 58mph on flat ground, and 62mph down hill. It took a long time to get to these speeds as well. It'll get to 45 mph reasonably quick (considering), but once you hit that wall, make sure you have time.

I know people can get over 60mph out of them, but the engine is turning so many rpm I wouldn't want to sustain that while cruising down the road.

Don't get me wrong, there's a special place in my heart for the little bike, I want another one, just don't need another one.

Thanks for the input. I weight 200ish so I'd be happy with cruising 45-50 fairly easily.. Ruckus tucked full speed was 42-43.

You wouldn't believe me if I told you how much we have into our project Grom build. Here is the link, for sale for the right price.  :crazy:

But you guys are using it as a platform to showcase and sell the parts.  In theory, you're getting a return on that investment.  

• 3 weeks later...

For the Grom owners, can anyone share real world fuel mileage?

Honda claims 134 MPG for the 2014 model...my round trip to work is under 10 miles.

Bicycle or Grom???

I got 100mpg on the money on mine pretty consistently. There's no such thing as highway riding on one... So that was stop and go, and wheelies in my driveway.