Pawn shops

redkow97

Went to the range for work yesterday.  Remembered how enjoyable it is to put holes in things.  Heading to the local pawn shop at lunch to see what kind of firearms they have to offer.

Anything in particular I should look for (i.e. avoid) when shopping someone else's leftovers?   I know I am going to find mostly garbage.  As infrequently as I shoot, I'm okay with that.   Just looking for a cheap 38 special or something. 

I've always found pawn shops to be way overpriced for what they carry.

Nostradamus!

The first place we went (big sign that I see off the highway daily) was really nice, but didn't have any firearms.   They had a cool old Chevy C-10 and a badass vintage Thunderbird next to a 2009(?) Thunderbird.

the second place was all power tools and 2 small cases of firearms.   Way overpriced.  He had once case of new guns, which weren't bad, but I don't go to a pawn shop for new stuff...  The used case was overpriced for sure.   the 25 ACP's were the cheapest, and they were still $100 more than they should have been.   There was a beat up 38 revolver that I would have paid $80 or $90 for, marked at $198.

Tomorrow I'm just going to hit up the local gun shops and ask what they have in used inventory.

Once you find what you like, try this guy out for pricing. I've purchased several from him. His "shop" is in Galion, and you can pick up instead of shipping. I think you'll find his prices better than most retail places.

Example.... Beretta 92FS for $489, CZ P07 with night sights $439, sub $500 Glocks, etc....

https://www.keelyarms.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=1477

I need to go rent a bunch of guns and decide what I like.

When we were shooting Monday, I really left there thinking "the lever-action 22 was more fun than anything else."  Which is great, because I already own a 22 rifle, and I can afford to shoot it pretty much as often as time allows.

What I didn't like was the 380 bodyguard.  The small frame was uncomfortable, and I was not very accurate with it.  The long trigger pull was annoying as well, but I understand the need for that on a carry firearm...  That said, I would like to shoot an LCP, a TCP, and some compact revolvers.  I also still really like the idea of a concealable 22lr  (HP22a) for some reason...  I know it's far from an ideal defensive weapon, but I like having the option of sharing ammo at the range, and using it to train.

What I didn't like was the 380 bodyguard.  The small frame was uncomfortable, and I was not very accurate with it.  The long trigger pull was annoying as well, but I understand the need for that on a carry firearm...  That said, I would like to shoot an LCP, a TCP, and some compact revolvers.  I also still really like the idea of a concealable 22lr  (HP22a) for some reason...  I know it's far from an ideal defensive weapon, but I like having the option of sharing ammo at the range, and using it to train.

The 380 Bodyguard is a joke, that is a last ditch back up, there is no enjoyment practicing with that piece.  I ran the gauntlet when searching pocket sized carry pistols.  The LCP is a step above the boyguard, the 38 snub is brutal on your hand... when the smoke cleared I wound up with a Sig P238. Yes, it is a bit heavier but you can enjoy shooting with it!  

I can hit my target just fine with a Bodyguard .380.  It's not a target trigger, but it's not supposed to be.  It's by for the most reliable .380 I've ever shot, and that includes the LCP & Glock 42 which I just sold.  I personally don't think the LCP is in the same league as the Bodyguard.  The only other .380 that interests me is the Kahr.

If your looking for a range gun 9>.380 anyway.  The ammo is cheaper and there are many good options.

If you want a fun .22 the Ruger SR22 (still have) is hard to beat. The smaller .22s like the PT22 (I've had 3) or the HP.22 (still have) are no where near as reliable.

Sr22 is a great little gun.

If You want an actual target gun for plinking go Ruger Mark III.

The LC9 is a great gun especially for EDC. Make sure the get the s model (striker) cause you probably wont like the original with its long trigger pull & the bobbed hammer. If I were to do it all over again, I would get the LC9s pro model.

LCP And bodyguard will both hurt your hand. Painful to shoot. Too small. But for a BUG or to conceal where u might not otherwise be able to they are good. My LCP was far from reliable. Had it revamped by Ruger and it was better, but finally got rid of it. My bodyguard has been reliable

"I miss America"

I must admit, while we were looking at the gun case, 90% of the guns I thought looked cool ended up being Kahrs.  But they're not cheap.

I really need a place that will let me borrow an LC9 and carry it (empty) to see how cumbersome it is compared to an LCP sized firearm.  For price and reliability, I honestly think the Taurus TCP is hard to beat.  The reviews I've read all rate it as highly reliable.

I need to go rent a bunch of guns and decide what I like.

When we were shooting Monday, I really left there thinking "the lever-action 22 was more fun than anything else."  Which is great, because I already own a 22 rifle, and I can afford to shoot it pretty much as often as time allows.

S&W Airweight .38+p

Try the 638 with the shrouded hammer. Light, accurate, reliable

Taurus' generally aren't considered highly reliable.

I equate them to Kel Tec...inconsistent.  If you get a good one, it's be just fine.  If you get a bad one you might be better served throwing it at a potential attacker.

Food for thought. I carried a heavier gun in the past and it was a pain in the butt. now I carry a bodyguard. It doesn't get shot regularly. A carry piece that's comfortable to carry concealed is not a gun you shoot regularly for fun. I don't want to even feel I'm carrying it. It should be no more annoying than your phone in my opinion. There accuracy sucks anyways. Unless you like shooting at 15' and under.

As for the pocket guns, I find my wife's BG .380 reliable and surprisingly accurate. That being said, my buffet has a .38 snub, PPS, and CZ PCR. The situation dictates which one. I'd get a 642 or 638 before the BG though. And for that $350 price point, I'd rather get a Shield.

A pocket gun needs to go bang every time.  Trigger pull and accuracy at distance are OK to have but they don't really matter.

If you are in a self defense situation you're not going to try to finesse it like a target trigger or even use the sights.

S&W Airweight .38+p

Try the 638 with the shrouded hammer. Light, accurate, reliable

This jack wagon sold me on one of these and I love it. Mine is a 438 only difference is its black. And you will not find a trigger on single action that feels more like butter than these.