Buying a New Bike,... A Little Input From All?

katanafreak

Good Evening All,

I sold my bike to buy a boat a few months back,... I don't think the boat thing is going to happen. No place to store it in the winter, ALOT more expensive to maintain, ect...

I have had 2 Triumph Daytona 675s, one a 2009 and then a 2012. Loved the bikes! Best track bike I have ever had! worked ok on the street. The ergos were not the best for street riding. I was going to go out next weekend and pick myself up a 2015 675 when I got the urge to just take a look at other bikes and see if one catches my fancy. Well,... of course one did! This is where I need some advice from all you track guys and street guys too!

I am comparing a 2015 Triumph Daytona 675 and a 2015 Ducati Panigale 899.

Can you guys that have rode these bikes give me the pros and cons of the two? I know the triumphs very well actually, but I have zero experience with a Ducati. Let me know any and all experiences you guys have had with these two beautiful machines. I am trying to do all the research on these two bikes, but damn that Duc is sexy!

Let me know what you guys think of the two and what you would use and any issues you guys have had with these brands. Any and all info is helpful, I do love the 675s but that Duc is amazing, just want to make sure I don't buy the wrong bike because of looks.

Thanks All!!!

post-12298-0-71860100-1435885277_thumb.j

post-12298-0-93899300-1435885278_thumb.j

Edited by katanafreak

I don't have a Panigale but I am up to 3 Ducati's at the moment. Agreed with Bubba, watch the service cost and intervals on the Ducati. I have picked up all the tools and do my own servicing, valve adjustments and belt changes these days. If it wasn't for that the Duc would be prohibitively expensive.

I'm sure some other guys that own the Panigale will chime in soon but I have never heard an owner complain about wanting to get rid of one.

The ownership cost of the New duc's is greatly reduced to be competitive. The intervals are now at 18,000 miles. The panigales no longer have belts, they're chain motors, so that's even less maintenance cost.

The 899 is quite a bit more motorcycle than a 675. The ergo's are similar. They're both very narrow bikes, but I believe the pani is a bit slimmer.

In all honesty, I don't think you could wrong with either. See if a dealer will allow you to test ride both. There's a few dealers around Columbus that sell both.

I'm not sure what triumph offers as warranty, but ducati's warranty is 2 years.

• Upvote 2

People who are telling you the costs of maintaining the Duc is high aren't educated on the current crop stuff.  The intervals and parts costs are in line with the OEM Japanese products out there now these days.  So don't fear the people that think it is still 1998...

That being said, there are two ways to look at this whole thing.  You should first compare the 899 to the 675R and not the standard.  They are more in line with one another in terms of price and of course ability. 

The 675R will have the cool bits like Ohlins and better Brembos than the 899.  Better rotors also...  The Brembos on the 899 are not the same and are a lower class.  HOWEVER...  Do not for a moment think it is under powered in braking!!!  Just the factual stuff...

My personal opinion is that the 899 is a 750 class bike more than the 675R is.  But I think the 675R handles like it's on rails.  I had a bone stock 675R at Mid-O last week with just slicks and race brake pads.  Really an amazing bike and considering a bunch of factors as to why I was slower than normal, the bike was solid.

The 899 just has power!!!  It handles great as well.  I'd say similar and maybe with a tad of tuning it in, it could be really great! 

They are very similar yet very different.  I think they both are hot and I think they both will reward you.  I think both sound amazing.  The triple is great with a system or slip-on.  The 899 sounds mean as all get out even with the stock mufflers.  It's all what YOU want.  Ride both back to back and see what YOU think.  I would say they both will amaze you.

• Upvote 2

That is a great write up moto-brian! I didn't even think to compare the 675R since they were closer in price. Gives me something to think about there, upgrades are great to have.

I am reading all of these and taking all of this into consideration. I have read so many articles, watched so many videos and they are all different lol. Just seems like it's all about what the rider likes at that time as one video said the 899 blows the 675 out of the water hands down, then the very next one says the 675 is the best bike period lol. They all seem like subjective reviews.

I did look at dyno's and stats on the bikes and the 899 was better in alot of things, but again I was looking at the 675 not the 675R. I should of thought about the R in the first place. Feel kind of embarrassed about that lol.

Please keep the comments coming! I am taking them all in consideration. If you have a good link to an article or a video please post that as well. Hopefully we get enough stats and opinions in this thread it helps someone else later on as well who might be looking at one of these bikes.

Thanks again all who has posted and keep them coming. I was going to pull the trigger next weekend but I think this decision is goin to take alot longer than another week to make!

Thanks again all!!!

Edited by katanafreak

I have absolutely no experience on either bike, but if I were in your position, I'd get the 899.

I guess if I were shopping for either one, and a good deal came up on the 675R, probably grab that, but that 899 is one sexy looking machine!

There's a pic of me sitting on the white one from the bike show in my gallery, I don't know how to post it though.

Damn I wish I had an extra $15k !!!

Good luck with your decision, can't go wrong with either of your choices!

899 isn't dry clutch. . It's just like a jap bike as far as handling brakes and feel the difference is how it makes power the twin is a whole different world.. I will say though if you are doing any sort or commuting the 899 is a bit aggressive in stance and though more forgiving than my 1199 they still get pretty warm under seat in traffic and are a bit jerky at lower speeds... now ya don't have to wring it's neck from light to light like a 600 but some of the same goes for the 675..

Maintaining a duc is cake anymore.. brian is correct I will say dealer service costs are even pretty inline with others

is the duc dry clutch? is there much of a difference between operating a dry/wet clutch bike?

Wet.  Operating it, really no difference.  I'm old school though and would have a hard time giving up the dry clutch but the smaller Ducs 848/899 etc never had the dry clutch anyway. I'd pick the Ducati over the Triumph even though I really like the 675 but both bikes are great. 

Edited by Mary#17

I just noticed that you thought your old 675's were not the best for street riding. The Ducati is a not a traffic/commute friendly bike. I haven't ridden the 899 but my 1098 is awful for around the town trips. 50 miles of putz commuting is like 300+ miles of back road twisties in terms of comfort. The bike doesn't like to go slow and makes you feel it. 

899 isn't dry clutch. . It's just like a jap bike as far as handling brakes and feel the difference is how it makes power the twin is a whole different world.. I will say though if you are doing any sort or commuting the 899 is a bit aggressive in stance and though more forgiving than my 1199 they still get pretty warm under seat in traffic and are a bit jerky at lower speeds... now ya don't have to wring it's neck from light to light like a 600 but some of the same goes for the 675..

Maintaining a duc is cake anymore.. brian is correct I will say dealer service costs are even pretty inline with others

even

What 600 do you need to wring its neck to get from light to light?