Outdoor Smoker - Got One?

JohnG

I have a small electric smoker, Charbroil.  It was a Father's Day gift that I didn't really use for a couple years.  Well, I've found some really nice uses for it, especially ribs.  Did baby backs for a party at my house last night and it was a big hit.  Definitely going to continue using it but it is a little small in its current config.  If I could pick up another one like it I could add the racks and supports on the inside to double the capacity.

So here's the question, do you have one you don't want?  Don't want the box, just the grates and supports.  They want more than I want to spend at Charbroil for the parts.  Hell, I could practically buy a second smoker for the price of three more racks and supports...

It's the tall rectangular model.  Grates measure 13.8" x 11.81" (from the manual).  Also watching c-list.

Also, if you want to share a recipe or ideas for the smoker, post up!  I've done ribs, chicken, and a roast so far.  Want to try fish and venison.

Thanks!

Not sure where you are located but there is a liquidation auction house down the road from me here in CLE that always has a couple smokers that usually go cheap. Weber Smoky Mountain charcoal and Masterbuilt cabinets are two I see most regularly

I have a Masterbuilt propane cabinet and used to have a Weber Smoky mountain. Used to smoke stuff all the time but now it's usually only for parties and events. Hoping now that we've moved and more house projects to be done I can smile up glorious meats while completing those projects since we should be home more these days

Edited by Bad324

Ribs are easy.  3-2-1 method.  Smoke for 3 hours, wrap in foil for 2, then remove from foil for 1, or you can through them on the grill to blacken them, and firm them up a little,  instead of the last hour without foil in the smoker.  If it's baby backs, you can go 2-2-1.

I've had my Masterbuilt for about 1 1/2 years, and still use it all of the time.  Electric is so easy.

I'm too lazy for the 3-2-1...  No rubbing, no wrapping, I sprinkle my ribs, both sides with this recipe I cobbled together from several sources over the years:

SMOKER PORK RUB RECIPE

Makes enough for 6 racks ribs

2 Tbsp. Paprika

2 Tbsp. Kosher Salt

1 Tsp Cumin

1 Tsp Chili Power

1 Tbsp. Ground Black Pepper

2 Tbsp. Garlic Powder

2 Tbsp. Brown Sugar

Then I load them in the smoker with a water pan and hickory chips in a smoke box.  250 degrees.  Three to three and a half hours later, Done.  No basting.  Nothing.  Served with sauce on the side for each persons preference.

Edited by JohnG

I will have to dig up my deer strap marinade for you. It uses red wine, an removes any trace of gamey taste. I do them over night them smoke them over fruit wood, either apple or cherry. I use a dry rub on them. Smoke them on low heat wrapped in foil around 180° for 4-6 hours till they reach 165° internal temp. Wrap them in a moist towel an let rest for a bit. Turns out amazing, ever had people think it was not deer meat when they tried it. I also smoked some summer sausage over hickory that was straight deer meat that turned out great.

I have the same smoker, and NO!  I'm not going to part it out!  LOL  I was actually thinking the same thing, that it would be nice to have a couple more racks in there.  The only time I find myself needing more racks is when doing ribs, but I have learned that you can fit quite a few in there by laying them.  I do 6 racks at a time.  Cut them in half, get them rubbed and ready, put the first one flat on the rack, then put three more on that one, "leaning" them on the first.  Four half racks per rack in the smoker makes a LOT of ribs! 

Also check out the "Official" OR BBQ thread: http://ohioriders.net/index.php?/topic/92554-anyone-here-make-bbq/

Thanks for linking up the "official" thread.  To get all six slabs in my mine with just the three shelves I used my Weber rib rack which stands up four in a compact spot.  Would rather have them all laying flat with extra shelves.  Keeping my eyes open on c-list ect.  I'll find one.

Post up that fish recipe!  Would love to try it with some of the skinless salmon filets that I see at Sam's club.

Thanks for linking up the "official" thread.  To get all six slabs in my mine with just the three shelves I used my Weber rib rack which stands up four in a compact spot.  Would rather have them all laying flat with extra shelves.  Keeping my eyes open on c-list ect.  I'll find one.

Post up that fish recipe!  Would love to try it with some of the skinless salmon filets that I see at Sam's club.

I have tried both ways, stacked and flat, with no noticeable difference.

BTW...  Sam's Club is where I usually get my meat for the smoker.  Pork shoulders, ribs, and brisket.  The price is usually pretty good, and the quality has always been good.