Do Y'all Wash Your Bike? How & How Often?

Samcw

There was a small car lot that used my car wash to get cars ready to sell.  One time the guy popped the hood to wash the engine on a used Toyota.

Yeah, that one left on a flat bed.  High pressure water gets places that rain or hose water just can't.  

I was 16... Decided to treat my dad to a wash. Took his beautiful Delta 88 (first car he had ordered brand new to spec) to the power wash. Took the nozzle right up to a stubborn bug on the hood. Wasn't a bug.....created a gray landing strip the entire length of the hood. Nothing to do with the topic, but made me remember.

We had a Chevrolet Lumina that did this. Took it to the dealer and they placed some tape over the roof, gave it a good tug and the paint peeled all the way to the primer. Repainted the entire car for free.

Honda just repainted my 2010 Civic with 140000 miles for this same reason.  The paint was not peeling too bad, but would come off easily if coaxed.

S100 and pressure washer usually once a year. No big deal, just hold the nozzle at a reasonable distance. Original bike spirits and S100 spray wax rest of the time. Either detail spray brings the bugs right off.

I wish I could only wash once a year, i have been washing mine every few days because every time I ride it comes back looking like an oversized fly swatter.

I should have taken a picture before I washed last time, it was absolutely ridiculous, front looked more insect colored than factory red.

I tried using a sponge last time, worked as well as the power wash but it took like 10 times as long.

I think I will go to the power wash again next time she needs a bath, and just use low low low power. I just can't stand the insect layer!

Hose it off then spray with the Honda cleaner/ polish. Wipe off with a microfiber,rinse, then wipe on more Honda stuff, let dry then polish with a microfiber.

It gets washed when it's covered in bugs.

Edited by Gump

Meguiar's Quik Detailer and a microfiber towel for me. Follow up with spray wax and you're good to go.

I have no worries about using a pressure washer on dirt bikes, but something about using one on a street bike doesn't sit well with me.

I had to buy all matte safe products for mine and it gets wiped down every couple weeks or whenever it looks dirty... The only time I ever really wash it is when I get caught in rain... Got stuck in a monsoon the other day and with fender eliminator, I have brown water spots all over the back of the bike and my jacket and there's water spots on everything... Gonna use my low power pressure washer and keep a safe distance... Dry it with a shammy and leaf blower

Yeah, naked bikes are a bitch to keep clean. That's why mine look like shit.

Yea I didn't have time to wash it yet so it looks awful, like it just came home from battle... Made sure I parked at the end of the motorcycle parking at work to hide my shame lol.... Naked bikes suck in that regard, would be so much easier to just wipe down the fairings and go... Even my exhaust can is brown from the dust/dirt in the storm

Edited by Steve Butters

Ask Pauly how often I wash my bike. :)

I have ridden in the rain a few times this year, does that count?

I did take some cleaner and a rag to the windscreen and head lights due to a few million dead bug recently.

Craig