Dog/vet surgery advice

Gump

Dog has a fatty tissue bump which over the years has grown and now seems sensitive to touch. I took her to the vet because of a odd, extremely hard flat 4x5 raised area on the left side of her back in front of her hips.

I suggested I'd like a X-ray to see what's going on. My last dog the vet did a X-ray and it revealed a softball sized tumor.

They refused and want to try and cut out the mystery hard thing and will take out the fatty cyst also if she does good under anesthesia.

My thinking is why cause the dog undue stress if it's something incurable. Why not take an X-ray first? Surgery date is tomorrow. Thinking of canceling today.

Removing fatty tumors can be very dangerous. They bleed a lot and can cause more harm removing them than leaving them there. This is what multiple vets have told us many times in the past. They are usually benign and other than being a little ugly, don't do any harm.

• Upvote 1

Removing fatty tumors can be very dangerous. They bleed a lot and can cause more harm removing them than leaving them there. This is what multiple vets have told us many times in the past. They are usually benign and other than being a little ugly, don't do any harm.

It seems to hurt her now though if I handle it. It's in her front arm pit I'd call it.

I'll get a second opinion and cancel the surgery for now.

Thanks for the replies.

2Nd opinion for sure. We recently dumped our vet because they insisted for 6 months that our puppy had a food allergy instead of doing a full fecal lab. We spent $1500 on vet appointment, medicine and prescription dog food in that time. A $50 test concluded that he had giardia and $35 worth of medication was the treatment.

Edited by CrazySkullCrusher

/\ that sucks. Cancelled the surgery but options are $600-$1200 MRI or CT scan. Hmmm. You'd think a biopsy would be an option. She's at least 12 doesn't seem bothered by the mass and is a 120# large dog. I could swallow a $1000 bill if they said yes this will fix it. But to attempt to fix the unknown and stress the dog out is troublesome.

This probably doesn't help except to express sympathy over your decision. My (rescue) dog recently tore a little more of an already partially-torn CCL. After $500 for an animal urgent care visit and an x-ray, we were recommended to do a $3k surgery to fix it once and for all. Then prepare for the other knee to require surgery down the road. Oh, and 8-12 weeks of convalescent care for each surgery. I couldn't do it - I couldn't trade 1-2 semesters of my daughter's college and a big disruption in our lives to fix the dog's knees. Fortunately he's responding to anti-inflammatory pills and restricted movement, and is now back enough to normal to be a typical dog. If it gets so bad that not even pain management gets him through, then we'll go the euthanasia route, but for now, a little pain and restricted movement is how it's going to be.

I feel your pain. Expenses aside, I'm not looking forward to what I suspect is coming down the road, her ribs appear to be pushing outward like the last dog. Lots of snacks and love until her quality of life isn't worth it. Then, as grotesque as it might sound, bullet to the back of the skull to end it. I did the vet put you to sleep shot once before. Never again will I hold my dog down on a steel cold table in a strange environment while she is given a shot.

• Upvote 1

I feel your pain. Expenses aside, I'm not looking forward to what I suspect is coming down the road, her ribs appear to be pushing outward like the last dog. Lots of snacks and love until her quality of life isn't worth it. Then, as grotesque as it might sound, bullet to the back of the skull to end it. I did the vet put you to sleep shot once before. Never again will I hold my dog down on a steel cold table in a strange environment while she is given a shot.

I just couldn't do that. When we put ty down it wasn't on a steel table in a strange place. It was at our (now former) vet office which he loved because he got cookies and lovins from all the girls there. He was on a blanket on a tile floor when he got the shot and he went peacefully. I've thought about the bullet to the head and while I know it's humane and painless I just can't imagine the last memory of my dog being his open head wound issueing forth arterial spray. I'll pay the $80 and make the 10 minute drive.

When we had to put my first dog down, they let me hold her in my arms and comfort her while she got the shot.. I also couldn't have my last memory of a best friend being me splitting their head open.. I know it's humane and such, just personally couldn't do it when the alternative went so smoothly for me the first time

• Upvote 1

I would still find another vet. it took 3 before I found a good one in my area. They gas my cat to knock her out instead of shots, her surgery was less stressful that way.

I don't like the meds they use to sedate her, but the gas is fine.

we had 5 masses removed, it was $500.

seems to be a lot of shitty vets.  like they're in it to make money not really heal sick animals.   I took mine to one and because she's a pitbull they immediately handed me a muzzle because (those dogs are biters).  I turned around and walked out the door.   the next place I went to the guy talked to her as if she was his and didn't care about a muzzle.   she's a big people dog.  no reason to treat me and her like a criminal right off the bat.  I would muzzle her if I knew she would.  I just felt as if I was just a paycheck to that other place.  not personable at all.

• Upvote 1

also how in the hell could you guys shoot your dog in the head? please don't get another animal...

It's easy decision when your pup is intense pain and it's a 30 min trip into town where she would have to be moved several times causing even more intense pain. Just to make her lay on a uncomfortable table in a foreign environment around people she don't know poking her with neddles that cause even more pain. When I put my partner of 16 years down my self it was hard but was the best option for her. One pop in correct spot she took one last breath and it was over laying ib the comfort of her home. That vs maybe a hour or more of continuous pain in a un comfortable situation. So don't fucking judge when you have no fucking idea what you are fucking talking about.

Metro Vet Hospital in Akron specializes in Cancer treatment for pets. Not saying you dog has cancer but my Giant Schnauzer had melanoma is his left eye this past spring and they fixed him right up. They removed his eye and luckily it was benign and did not spread. Total cost was around $2000 but it was very worth it to me.

http://www.metropolitanvet.com/ 

Photo is from when he had his "cone of shame" removed but he looks fine today and is doing great. 

11134134_10205555207576208_1401864121153

• Upvote 3

It's easy decision when your pup is intense pain and it's a 30 min trip into town where she would have to be moved several times causing even more intense pain. Just to make her lay on a uncomfortable table in a foreign environment around people she don't know poking her with neddles that cause even more pain. When I put my partner of 16 years down my self it was hard but was the best option for her. One pop in correct spot she took one last breath and it was over laying ib the comfort of her home. That vs maybe a hour or more of continuous pain in a un comfortable situation. So don't fucking judge when you have no fucking idea what you are fucking talking about.

blowing their head off with a gun is better?  please stop getting pets.   you're a horrible owner.  sorry if you take offence to this but you're surrounded by your buddies here that makes you comfortable being proud of your gun but you're really a terrible person.

blowing their head off with a gun is better? please stop getting pets. you're a horrible owner. sorry if you take offence to this but you're surrounded by your buddies here that makes you comfortable being proud of your gun but you're really a terrible person.

I understand most people are classically conditioned to think being shot in the head is gross, terrible, mean, and painful but that is not true in the scenarios discussed in this thread. You're thinking more about your feelings than you are the pet.