Kart track in Thompson (NEO)

redkow97

I just found this track today, and given that it's the closest place I've found, I'm looking into whether or not they will allow bikes.

http://www.ckra.org/

^ this is actually the link for the karting organization that races on the track, but they have a good aerial photo, and the track's website (Thompson Raceway Park) barely mentions the kart track.  I couldn't even find contact info for the track.

I do have an email out to the karting club asking them who I should talk to about open practice.  I didn't mention it was for bikes, because kart people seem to be weird about that for some reason.  I would assume the track will be open to new sources of revenue regardless of how many wheels the vehicle has.  They seem to do a lot of "bikes only" events on the drag strip, so i'm optimistic. 

stay tuned, and let me know if you have a 50 or a 100 or anything else that's slow and has street tires :)  I would like to make it worth the track's time to host open bike practice with 24 hours notice.  I figure it would be $20/person  if we can get 5 riders.

I have exchanged emails with the president of the kart club.  They have an "exclusive lease" with the track.  I actually kind of anticipated that from the way the website reads.  That's the bad news.

The good news is the guy has been nothing but nice to me and wants to meet about setting up some bike events.  I presume we would be renting the time from teh kart club, which is just money they're NOT spending on the lease.   The only catch would be we have to provide any funding for additional insurance to cover bikes.

I can look into that.

More good news:  They are completing an extension to the track.  If you plug the address into google maps, you can see the section they've added.  The only thing I don't like is that it's only ONE right turn!  We would have to run it both directions, or be really bored...

Stay tuned.

i approached those guys about 5 years ago about letting SM bikes out there, and didn't get very far. They seemed unwilling to share their track and were concerned about damage to the surface from pegs, bars, etc.  Given the tiny size of the track, I didn't feel like pushing the issue and gave up on it.

It is small, but might be ok for the little roadracing minibikes. Maybe half the footprint of Beaver. Currently, it's no place for a full sized supermoto, even a 250. With a track extension it might be whole new track.

Good luck!

• 1 year later...

I rode this with Kent, Biggie, and JB last weekend.  It's small, but fun. 

The closeness of the fence makes some of the layouts unworkable, and I crashed twice in the same turn.  Surface seemed slick.  Still fun.  I would go back.