$48k tow bill, and arrested to top it off

Casper

If anyone is still following the actual article, they've updated it with some quotes from a state towing association.  I don't know that it constitutes a regulating body, but like everyone here, they're saying the bill is inflated.

Seems like this will get sorted out in court.  My guess is that the Jeep owner ends up paying a few grand in fees and fines.  Between the damage to his vehicle and the length of time he's going to be without it pending trial, he's going to have to buy a replacement vehicle no matter what happens - but the same would have been true if he'd left it in the swamp, so that's really not a major factor IMHO.

It's fun to get outraged about this kind of thing, but the system really does work (most of the time).

Ihe's going to have to buy a replacement vehicle no matter what happens - but the same would have been true if he'd left it in the swamp, so that's really not a major factor IMHO.

If he abandons the vehicle, does he still not have to pay the towing fee when the owner/government has it removed?

If a private landowner has the vehicle removed then does the landowner get the towing bill and have to chase the vehicle owner for reimbursement?   Or can the towing company bill the vehicle owner directly?

Mass sucks, I agree. Vermont, NH and Maine are great though.

Vermont keeps electing bernie sanders. enough said.

maine has decent seafood.

new hampshire is the only one i would say was ok, only because they have no seat belt law for adults.

Update: The Massachusetts Department of Public Utilities has called Assured Collision for an informal hearing regarding failure to adhere to maximum rates and charges, failure to file proof of insurance and failure to file an annual financial form.

• Upvote 1

If he abandons the vehicle, does he still not have to pay the towing fee when the owner/government has it removed?

If a private landowner has the vehicle removed then does the landowner get the towing bill and have to chase the vehicle owner for reimbursement?   Or can the towing company bill the vehicle owner directly?

Which way do you want to pay me to argue it?  This is one of the issues they would litigate. 

Which way do you want to pay me to argue it?  This is one of the issues they would litigate. 

I was trying to say that the vehicle owner did not have the choice of simply abandoning the vehicle.  I'm just not sure if the landowner can tell the towing company to bill the vehicle owner directly, or if he has to pay him himself then sue the vehicle owner.

Article says the tow company owner has placed a lein against the vehicle.  My question is, how much can a square body Cherokee (which is typically prone to rust anyway) from Massachusets be worth?!  I think I'd roll into the tow lot with the title and let 'em keep it.  "Congratulations, you just bought yourself a $2000 Jeep Cherokee for the low, low price of $49k!"

Article says the tow company owner has placed a lein against the vehicle. My question is, how much can a square body Cherokee (which is typically prone to rust anyway) from Massachusets be worth?! I think I'd roll into the tow lot with the title and let 'em keep it. "Congratulations, you just bought yourself a $2000 Jeep Cherokee for the low, low price of $49k!"

The owner will still be on the hook for the balance.