Multistrada savvy folks please school me...

Helmutt

So describe what kind of riding you intend to do...don't think bike..just think what kind of riding.  Long trips, long days...2 up (when hell frezzes over). Mini Iron Butts, whats the end goal here my friend? Medium, medium fast, mach retard?

• Upvote 1

So describe what kind of riding you intend to do...don't think bike..just think what kind of riding.  Long trips, long days...2 up (when hell frezzes over). Mini Iron Butts, whats the end goal here my friend? Medium, medium fast, mach retard?

I'm going to keep riding basically as I do now, just at a bit slower pace and with longer distance options. Some sporty riding now and then, but not dragging knees all day or stupid fast riding anymore. I'm expecting my next bike to slow me down a bit but take me further. I'm done with monsterous HP and needing to fill up every 150 miles or so.

I'm going to keep riding basically as I do now, just at a bit slower pace and with longer distance options. Some sporty riding now and then, but not dragging knees all day or stupid fast riding anymore. I'm expecting my next bike to slow me down a bit but take me further. I'm done with monsterous HP and needing to fill up every 150 miles or so.

Don't get too hung up on the range. You will probably be with someone that only has that range, or you will want to take a quick break. It is rare I go 150 and rare I knew anyone that wants to.

Don't get too hung up on the range. You will probably be with someone that only has that range, or you will want to take a quick break. It is rare I go 150 and rare I knew anyone that wants to.

Still want more range, whether it's used or not. Just knowing I dont HAVE to stop for fuel would be nice.

It's always interesting to see the differences in what people prioritize. I don't care that much about range, but cruise is mandatory for me. You are the other way around. My only suggestion is keep the wants and 'must haves' separate in your head. Otherwise you will drive yourself crazy.

I don't understand why "dealer support" is even an argument ever these days. It's 2015, not 1955. He's buying a used bike so warranty likely isn't an issue and how often does a major recall happen? The internet exists for parts and I can name at least 3 people within 30 miles of me that I would let work on my bikes before any dealer.

Is there something I'm missing?

I don't understand why "dealer support" is even an argument ever these days. It's 2015, not 1955. He's buying a used bike so warranty likely isn't an issue and how often does a major recall happen? The internet exists for parts and I can name at least 3 people within 30 miles of me that I would let work on my bikes before any dealer.

Is there something I'm missing?

I take big trips and many times am far away from home and dealers I trust, so yeah it matters to me personally. I don't trust bikes from Europe "period", so I reckon that is another bug up my ass. LOL

Some great choices out there for all of us, but I could never throw a lot of coin at a bike I don't fully trust to ride anywhere and everywhere. High maintenance European super models, they look damn good and are stacked with much sex appeal and really put out until they all of a sudden stop doing so for many times stupid reasons. :) I work on my own bikes for almost anything, but I like knowing I have the option of  accessible dealer support if I am in a pinch. For those that only ride local or are looking to do track days, then the gourmet bikes are a fabulous choice. Don't get me wrong and think I would never own one, it's just that I could not have a super model as my primary bike. If it has 2 wheels I like it, we all obviously have different tastes and desires in the bikes we like and own.

• Upvote 1

OK.....what you describe for your wants and needs, sure sounds like an FJ-09 to me.....plus it is a triple and will likely be much more reliable with better dealer support than a Triumph. ;)

The FJ09 runs a little small for me man....hell, I'm 6ft and avg 290 suited ( on a good day ) and that short reach and wheelbase would just cramp me up.  Plus it's got shitty torque at just over half of what I'd like to see -- which isn't THAT high up on my list, but the bike needs to be able to carry my heft at a good clip.  The Sprint is stretched out similar to my 14's stance.  My local Yamaha dealer is a Triumph dealer should I need their support, but there's no remaining factory warranty on this particular bike.   Not a big deal since I'd only be spending 1/4 of what was expected with the new european bikes I was looking into.   It's not that I absolutely MUST own a european bike, but all the jap bikes out there just aren't doing anything special for me.  I like having something different than the masses anyway, always have.  The FJR & Concours are just a bit big to be expected to perform as I would want, but the small middleweights just dont have the comfort and size of what I want either. 

The bikes I've looked into are more welter weights, or even small light-heavy weights....meaning...

Sub 600 pounds wet 

60"ish wheelbase ( planted feel )

23-24 deg rake with less than 4" trail ( so it's still nimble for it's size )

Decent width for some element protection and comfort

More upright seating position, but just a little sport reach is still wanted

Quality hardshell luggage with plentiful storage ( no, I wont mount a Givi set to my ZX14 ).

The market share for this category bike is fairly slim in a sport touring capacity.  The R1200RS, Multistrada, and Sprint GT fit my list.  Are there other possiblities?  Sure.  Have they even been considered at this point?  Definitely.  I've been researching for months on end, and the very few that I had not looked into were brought up here - so I checked them out as well.   I dont discredit other bikes that may be part of the group I'm searching within, but they're just not for me other than the handful I have in mind.   Money wasn't really a factor to begin with since I plan to keep the bike for quite some time, but practical reality set in against that decision.

Edited by Hellmutt

If you have your sights set on a Multistrada do a nationwide search on cycle trader. There are a couple bargains if you are willing to travel,don't mind a leftover and have the cash to pull the trigger. http://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2014-Ducati-Multistrada%201200%20S%20Pikes%20Peak-116332942

Don't think you would be happy with an FJ09. Pretty nice engine. The rest did not impress me. Rode one twice. Ergos almost just like my VStrom. Defiantly not worth 8K more than I have in my VStrom.

• Upvote 1

http://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2014-Ducati-MultiStrada%201200GT-114844701

This one is almost 5K off msrp. Proly could cook a fly and ride for spring. I'm in Atlanta now. 98 bucks for a round trip ticket. These are advertised bikes. I bet there are other dealers with similar deals or even better that don't advertise. NinjaDoc got a smoking deal by shopping around. Good luck in your quest.

• Upvote 1

Ah yes I forgot how big a boy you are, you would likely be cramped on the FJ-09. This is pretty bad ass........and sexy.  http://www.motoguzzi-us.com/motorcycles/norge-gt-8v.html

I'd seen those, as well as the Aprilia Caponord. Just more than I wanted to spend after my change of heart and mind. I had this notion in my head that I wanted a high end bike of royal descent, but I woke up and reconsidered what I'm willing to invest for now. You'll see shortly ;)

If you have your sights set on a Multistrada do a nationwide search on cycle trader. There are a couple bargains if you are willing to travel,don't mind a leftover and have the cash to pull the trigger. http://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2014-Ducati-Multistrada%201200%20S%20Pikes%20Peak-116332942

Don't think you would be happy with an FJ09. Pretty nice engine. The rest did not impress me. Rode one twice. Ergos almost just like my VStrom. Defiantly not worth 8K more than I have in my VStrom.

http://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2014-Ducati-MultiStrada%201200GT-114844701

This one is almost 5K off msrp. Proly could cook a fly and ride for spring. I'm in Atlanta now. 98 bucks for a round trip ticket. These are advertised bikes. I bet there are other dealers with similar deals or even better that don't advertise. NinjaDoc got a smoking deal by shopping around. Good luck in your quest.

Thanks Al. And while I truly appreciate the help, I've since reset my search and decided to go cheaper this time on mildly used, and not quite as exquisite, next bike.

Kawasaki Versys 1000?

Hearing great things, and the motor is a gem.

I looked at these too, but they are short little buggers. Not that they aren't good bikes, I've just back pedalled on the adventure style bikes and realized I'd like a bit more reach for a mildly sporty position. The Multi has that position possibility in it, but the sex appeal and electronics were also blinding me a bit - so that could still be a slightly biased opinion :D