Welp, sold my bike yesterday

Josh1234

It had been on Craigslist for a while(months), and I'd actually taken it and put it in the storage unit on Saturday (Wife and I have a storage unit because we're moving, but staying with my mother for 3 months, first :p).

Anyway, out of the blue yesterday, I get a Craigslist response....

Extremely interested in coming and buying your motorcycle today. I have cash in hand and would be leaving from Detroit immediately, just awaiting your response. Please call ASAP at xxx-xxx-xxxx. Thanks for your help in advance!

That was so random and enthusiastic I thought maybe it was spam, but I wrote back, we had a quick phone call, and he pretty much left right away.

I cancelled my evening plans and met him at 7 pm.  He checked out the bike, haggled me down another hundy, and it was a done deal!  I hope he'll give the bike a better home and more love than I did, and I think he will.  He seemed thrilled with it.  

I'm caught in a weird place between not being sure if I really have a passion for motorcycling (I mean, if you have to wonder, you probably don't have the passion) but at the same time, I'll probably get "the bug" again in the spring and pick up another bike. 

And I do enjoy riding casually.  And shopping for deals is fun as hell, too, and it's the fifth bike I've had that I've sold for profit.

Hrm, what to buy next.....

• Upvote 1

didn't you just buy the Honda recently?

Go get yourself a cheaper bike that you don't mind having sit in the garage, man!  Then you don't have to be buying and selling once or twice a year, and you can still enjoy it when the mood strikes.

didn't you just buy the Honda recently?

Go get yourself a cheaper bike that you don't mind having sit in the garage, man!  Then you don't have to be buying and selling once or twice a year, and you can still enjoy it when the mood strikes.

Yep, bought it earlier this year in July.  I'll almost certainly buy another bike, and a cheaper one... It'll be easier next year, since I'll have my own garage.  Buying & selling are scary, but also kinda fun... and technically, it means I ride for free, since I keep flipping for profit :)

Got lucky to find a buyer in the middle of November, though :D

It's pretty rare for me to keep a bike longer than about a year.  I've done the same thing over the years, buy one I like at a decent price, ride for a while, and then sell.  I started with an SV650, and flipped my way up through my Heritage Softail, and now my VRod.  Hoping to flip the VRod in favor of a bagger of some sort come spring time.  Just keep in mind that profit is made in the buy, not the sell.  Buy 'em right, and you'll ride for free!

Buy in the fall.  Ride for a year, then sell the next spring.  It's an easy way to try a number of different motorcycles while making a bit of $$ on the side.

I've had something like 25 or 30 motorcycles.  The only ones I've lost money on were 3 that I bought new.

paying monthly for a co-op sounds like having a monthly payment, though :(  You'd need some sort of "check out" system where you pay based on how long you want it.  Daily, weekly, for a weekend, or a month.

That way, if you want to take 2 months off riding, you're not still paying a monthly fee.

y'know, if we were considering this for a real thing.

• Upvote 1

I like Josh's thoughts better. I'm not gonna pay monthly on something I could buy in cash

Same. Sooo could someone do this with a 2014+ zx10r, a 2013+ z1000, a s1000rr, and/or a 675r that'd be greatttt. And maybe a 14+ 1000rr.

Sent from my iPhone.

I wish someone would buy my bike. I went out for a ride Monday, and it took me all of 3 seconds to decide which bike to ride. The poor 599 just sits. :( Fresh synthetic oil change, a full tank of fuel from the marina and some sta-bil. Just need to do a bit of cleaning.