Dealership service trouble

Cdubyah

Out of warranty and the dealer isn't figuring it out? A credible transmission shop would be my next visit to unfuck what they can't, right after I get my $835 back for the nonrepair job

5 year /100,000 power train warranty expired in May this year.

The first and only code the computer through out (sorry don't have it in front of me) was related to the pressure system. Apparently why they put in the solenoid pack. It just amazes me that even with that information, they haven't done anymore troubleshooting.

Does that have a selectronic shifting? With mine I could drive it in manual fine as you're able to keep it below the rpm the limp cuts out at.

It does. I used that for a while, it was the only way I actually felt comfortable driving. Just didn't have OD. Last time out it decided to kick into limp mode.

Electrical short is my bet as well. That seems to be the common consensus online with limp mode. Maybe a bad speed sensor somewhere is causing the emergency braking issue.

This is my 3rd Chrysler vehicle. This is the first one I've actually had a problem with.

Edited by Cdubyah

I was going to ask about the powertrain warranty. You would not have a lemon law claim, but could have a Mag-Moss breach of warranty if they couldn't fix it in a reasonable amount of time, but since that is expired, thats out as well.  I have no other good input. dealers blow.   I do suggest you persist and don't let them blow you off.  I had a dealership OWNER tell me there was something wrong with me because he had thousands of satisfied customers.... so the problem was me...not them.  Its OK .. nothing a good attorney didn't fix. 

Edited by mike884

Chrysler has assigned me a Star case and has been escalated to someone at Chrsyler. Service tech is now driving back and forth from dealership to home.

Chrysler has offered to reimburse me for a rental car.

We are at three weeks today...

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

As of this coming Friday, my truck has been at the dealership for 6 weeks. I was finally able to get some answers out of the service manager yesterday.

They replaced the PCM after getting a fault code that pointed back to the solenoid pack that is brand new. After the PCM replacement the truck threw out 4 separate codes for diagnosis. Although after looking them up, it doesn't look too good.

MS Solenoid Circuit Fault
Transmission Fluid Pressure Sensor
3rd Gear incorrect ratio

4th gear incorrect ratio

The good news is that since my warranty expired in May, and I reported around July, Chrysler will cover the repair under warranty. A small silver lining I guess.

As for the rental...

Chrysler said that they could not guarantee that I would be compensated for a rental car. Nor could they reimburse me until the repairs were completed. So I passed on that option.

Edited by Cdubyah

My guess would be some insulation around a wire has worn away and is short to grounding. Could also be related to throttle position sensor not sending the correct signal or a weak signal. They are potentiometers that rub on contacts and may not be making full contact, or when small voltage goes through it expands away from contacts and after you shut down it cools down enough to make contact again. Keep us updated.

Edited by zx3vfr

Well they ordered a butt load of parts for it yesterday. I was in the car and couldn't write down all of it. So I'm not sure if they found the problems, or they are still guessing and just throwing parts at it.
Supposedly it will be done by Friday. I wait with baited breath...

They're tossing parts at it because they've no idea how to fix it. I hope you're not buying these parts.

Exactly.  I've seen it before, and I've even been in the position to have to do this, due to a lack of repair information, told top by management, etc...  I don't like to fix them that way.

Nice. This is my 3rd dodge vehicle, and further one to have a tranny issue.

On that note, I did not get my truck back Friday. There is a pump on backorder. Expedite request ordered from the dealership and dodge. She couldn't give me an estimate on when the part would arrive. She say possibly another 2 weeks. So this week will be 2 months.

Confirmed again that there would be no cost. She asked again if I needed a rental, which I laughed off again.

I hope thy get it fixed, man. I have little faith in dealership service these days. My boss had a Jeep Cammander that was developing a burning smell. After the dealership had it for weeks and after they replaced the transmission, transfer case and some other major component, he finally let me drive it. After a few miles I pulled back into the shop, got out my infrared thermometer and took measurements of all four wheels. His right rear brake caliper was seized.

So, I hope your guys are smarter than his guys. :wtf:

This is another common problem on Chrysler vehicles. Father in law has had this on the last two Chrysler mini vans they have owned.

• 4 weeks later...

They ordered a re manufactured transmission last week. I was notified Tuesday that it would take 3-5 days to arrive.
Work was to begin this morning, but I doubt that will actually happen.

They replaced parts, jerked around, replaced some more, stated that replacement parts were bad, jerked off some more. Still runs like crap apparently. Per the service adviser, it runs rougher now with the new parts, than it did with the old. After  going back and forth with the Chrysler engineering department it was deiced to get a re manufactured transmission.
I'm giving them until Saturday to correct the issue. After that, they can buy it back, and I'll never own another Chrysler product. I've already started looking for a new vehicle.

1 hour ago, zx3vfr said:

My bet is still on the throttle position sensor 

My bet is still on they have no clue and are running out of ammo for the parts cannon.  They're going to have to ACTUALLY FIX it soon!  If this happened where I work, it would have been over with MUCH sooner, such as the second week!  These are the situations that give dealership service departments a bad rep.  

5 hours ago, Isaac's Papa said:

No. These are the situations that highlight a shitty service department. My bet is it's an integrity issue with the harness and there aren't any techs there interested in chasing wires all day. 

It's that kind of crap why I got out of the business. You do all the work, use breakout boxes, test the wires, document it with photos, and time stamps and well written descriptions, and the warranty admin is to much of a fat fucking pussy to submit as much time as you are claiming and the service manager is to busy sucking the dealership owners cock to give a rats ass about you or sticking up for you when some angry German fuck from up top comes in and starts screaming at you for replacing a steering shaft that didn't fix a steering noise, when the fucks at tech support wouldn't authorize the steering rack that the service buliten pointed to the cause of the noise which did fix the problem but then the service manager docs your pay 140 dollars to cover the part and labor all while you're 20 years old struggling to make ends meet after you just moved 6 hours away from home while trying to buy tools and pay rent and still have a life....then a customer starts screaming at you because you tell the service advisor a vehicle needs a wheel bearing to fix an abs issue because the tone ring has a dead spot in it, but it's an older vehicle with some corrosion and you also tell the service advisor the actual wheel speed sensor is probably going to get fucked upon disassembly to get the the wheel bearing but the service advisor choose to not tell the customer, and the proceeds to scratch out my writing on the WO that says, abs sensor may be damaged upon removal along with the price quote for it, and then the service manager questions you about it and blames you, then makes you pay for the part with another paycheck deduction, all while some fat fuck spills his soda, all down his dash ruins the NAV drive on the first car sold with the new NAV system, you replace it under warranty and can't figure out how to load the NAV maps back on and Tech support tells you to click such and such buttons through diagnostics and it doesn't fix but customer HAS to leave, turns out the manufacture hadn't shipped the downloadable DVDs yet, because they switched from q live read on a DVD to the maps being on the hard drive, then when the discs finally come in, or well suppose to come in the shop Forman hides them in his tool box and takes a few days off. Meanwhile a large sedan with a rain sensor cover falling off comes in and has a big ole crack in the windshield, well it's cold, we have radiant heat, I note the crack on the WO and tell the service advisor that the windshield needs replaced and the car back outside before I can put it on the lift or the windshield will be cracked 5 miles across, he starts yelling at me in front of the service manager to just do the work, I tell the service manager and he says just do the other work and they'll let me know if the customer wants a new windshield, well sure enough the combination of putting it on the lift and radiant heat crack that windshield all the way across, customer comes in flips out, says: IT WASNT CRACKED THAT MUCH THIS MORNING.... Service manager deducts shops insurance deductible out of my pay. this was just one of the places I worked at. 

Independant shop #1 - owner: " hey just say easy stuff needs replaced on such and such contracted vehicles, they never check.

independent chain shop #2 -" we're going to pay you $7.00 to be an apprentice, we're not gong to pay you any commission though, and you have to walk all the way through the employee entrance of a huge Sears department store to go smoke or take your lunch break. Also you must take a 15 minute break every 2 hours.

independent chain shop #3 - just put these cheap Chinese tires on this car, even though they are not authorized from corporate and the general manager was buying and selling cars through the business, using the actual consumer store credit card to float 0% interest for the year, buying parts at cost and not paying for any labor, and when one of us fixed his stupid little project cars he'd fudge the numbers and pay us hourly... He was a managing partner and stripped of all his stock in the company and forbidden to ever rebuy stock until he no longer was employed, so imagine that shady shit.

finally the first dealer I ever worked at washing cars, it was snowing like a mother fuck and I refused to take a Porsche something with the widest fucking tires I've ever seen out of the wash bay, service manager starts screaming at me just to do it, and sure enough after I get out of the garage at about 3mph, car won't turn, brakes lock up and of course abs is of no help and I run right into a parked pickup truck with a plow on the front. I got fired immediately. 

I do not wish the vehicle service industry upon my worst enemy.

• Upvote 1

Wow!  Why don't you tell us how you REALLY feel? :lol:

Seriously though, I have seen and/or experienced most of what you are talking about there, and if I had it all happen over a short period of time, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be doing this anymore!  

I happen to work at a really good place now, make a decent rate (flat rate, though) get treated well, don't have many comebacks, I don't have to throw parts at a vehicle to fix it (ok, most of the time I don't) and can make a profit doing warranty work.  However, when someone talks about getting into this business, I tell them to run really fast the other way.  The abuse that you put your body through to do the job, the amount of stuff you need to know, and the instability of work coming through the doors makes me question why I do this almost every day.

So I picked the truck up yesterday. They called me while I was in Canton yesterday.

Picked the truck up @ 4:45ish. Felt really good going down down the freeway. Twenty minutes into the trip, about halfway home, the trucks check engine light pops on. Called the dealership and my service adviser was gone. Spoke to another, they gave me the option to turn around and take it back or come back in the morning.

So I dropped it back off at the dealership this morning. They stated they drove it for 50 miles without issue, and will be test driving for the next 2 days.
They gave me a Jeep Renegade to drive in the meantime..wohoo.

From what they told me yesterday. Chrysler had the dealership rebuild the old tranny twice. Tore it down once rebuilt, still had problems, tore it down again, same problems. Then they moved to the re-manufactured transmission.  Total bill to Chrysler for just the parts was $9225.14. I looked through the itemized list before leaving yesterday.

I'm not sure who to hold responsible at this point. The dealership is getting direction from Chrysler Engineering, and Chrysler is footing the bill. I'm still a little miffed at the dealership for the service I received at the beginning of the process, and the length of time I've been without my truck.  I've only spouted off at the mouth once to a former service adviser, because he flat out called me a liar. Other than that, I've been pretty damn calm about the whole issue, surprisingly. Just not too sure how much longer I'm going to deal with it.