Roku and other such devices

Gump

I have 2 amazon prime sticks and love them. Had the Roku stick and took it back because it would buffer all the time, but I've heard the boxes do a beter job.

I'm a amazon prime member so the fire stick works great with that and also have all the other network and movie aps.

I have 2 amazon prime sticks and love them. Had the Roku stick and took it back because it would buffer all the time, but I've heard the boxes do a beter job.

I'm a amazon prime member so the fire stick works great with that and also have all the other network and movie aps.

That's good to hear, i was think of the Roku stick. So how's the Prime stick deal work? Must be a prime member to get them or something?

Nope its just like the Roku exempt all the searches go through amazon, and of course they spot light all thier stuff and want you to be a prime member but it's not nesessary but it is nice to get all the shows movies and free shipping.

Apple TV 2 and Roku stick.

Up until recently I would say Apple TV hands down but its been having some connectivity issues with Apple servers and its annoying as hell since the last update to it. When its down we use the Roku Stick with zero issues so far. I like the stick because I can move it to my 32" in the basement so I can watch ESPN3 while playing halo on the 52

Chromecast = meh. Roku = good. I also picked up a Roku tv cheap on black friday. The chromecast is now on a tv in the basement. I don't have any apple devices or content so I didn't consider Apple TV. I booted Dish so the roku devices are used daily. I use a Tablo to record and stream OTA tv.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the advice.

The fire sticks are backordered until the 17th. I forgot I had an old Wii. Streaming Netflix now, works fine. I'll probably go with a Roku or Firestick.

Chromecast + PC hooked up to TV. Technically, an AppleTV first gen, too :)

PC hooked up to TV works the best out of anything.

THIS. PC with a wireless keyboard/mouse combo is the best of everything. That way you can watch your gopro videos and photos on the big screen.

Edited by JustinNck1

old laptop or desktop with a reasonably good graphics card.  pair with a logitech K400 or similar keyboard, and you're golden.  watch whatever the hell you want from any source (website, app, network, whatever)

also have roku, chromecast, ps4.  laptop is most flexible and if you setup a few links/apps, the most capable.

Don't you run up the electric bill by having PCs run 24x7?  I'd need 3 of them running at any given time plus the ones in the bedrooms would need to be quiet. 

THIS. PC with a wireless keyboard/mouse combo is the best of everything. That way you can watch your gopro videos and photos on the big screen.

Don't you run up the electric bill by having PCs run 24x7?  I'd need 3 of them running at any given time plus the ones in the bedrooms would need to be quiet. 

A PC in sleep mode pulls very little power. Unless your bitcoin mining, you're not gonna see a jump in your power bill.

I used to use a Western Digital player but it quit working with hulu and it's been almost a year since their last firmware update.  they used to update it every few months to add new stuff.  seems they don't care anymore. 

so I bought a google chromecast.  works 100 times better.  but you need to use a phone or tablet as a remote to stream stuff to it.   it doesn't stream through your phone.  the phone just controls the app such as netflix or hulu.   I also like it because I can cast anything from my phone to it.  (videos pictures, + the screen of the phone)

the western digital player much like all the other boxes you buy are limited to the apps that maker puts on them.  unlike the google chromcast it works with any app you download on your phone.

and best of all....it's $35.

Edited by serpentracer

I used to use a Western Digital player but it quit working with hulu and it's been almost a year since their last firmware update.  they used to update it every few months to add new stuff.  seems they don't care anymore. 

so I bought a google chromecast.  works 100 times better.  but you need to use a phone or tablet as a remote to stream stuff to it.   it doesn't stream through your phone.  the phone just controls the app such as netflix or hulu.   I also like it because I can cast anything from my phone to it.  (videos pictures, + the screen of the phone)

the western digital player much like all the other boxes you buy are limited to the apps that maker puts on them.  unlike the google chromcast it works with any app you download on your phone.

and best of all....it's $35.

I'm not sure what you mean by " it doesn't stream through your phone." I use Google CC via my phone on my 4G signal, straight to my TV. It's most definitely streaming through my phone.

I'm not sure what you mean by " it doesn't stream through your phone." I use Google CC via my phone on my 4G signal, straight to my TV. It's most definitely streaming through my phone.

Not sure how youre doing that. Mine only works via wifi.

Are you using it as a mirror cast? Thats where your phone screen is mirrored to the tv.

Once i start playing something on netflix or hulu for example i can turn my phone off and it keeps playing

Edited by serpentracer

I'll second that.   You use your phone to tell the Comast what to stream and then the phone is out of the loop on a home network configuration.  You could then shut the phone off without interrupting the video.  The only way the phone is in the loop is if it us being used as a hotspot for the Chromecast.  I haven't tried that configuration.

Yeah my cc doesnt connect without wifi.

I have the first version of cc. If you have the new one it may let it your phone connect to it without wifi. Not sure how it works since its not on a network. But mine doesnt work this way

i have a ROKU TV, RUKU stick, and another ROKU Stick for the TV in the garage.  they work really well, and we use a lot of HULU, Netfilx, and Sling TV on them.  i also have an AppleTV in the living room, i use it mainly to stream stuff off my macbook that i download, or from the popcorn time app.

• Upvote 1