Ruger LCP .380

imagineer

I don't know anyone who doesn't like their LCP, but some shoot better than others.  Like anything that size, it's not super fun to shoot... 

Hold an LC9 before you buy an LCP though.  LC9 might be what eventually replaces my kel-tec.

But to elaborate on the LCP, i have shot 2 or 3 of them.  It's light and easy to conceal, so carrying it is more likely to happen.  that's a big plus.  That said, it's a pocket .380...  Accuracy is acceptable for what it is.  Reliability seems good if you're consistent with ammo.  I went with a 9mm for that reason.

Edited by redkow97

^this

The 9 and the 380 just plain hurt to shoot.  So shoot it enough to be proficient with it but no more than that so you don't develop a flinch.  But that is true of most small pocket guns, there is no mass so they hurt.  The LC9 is pretty small, light and similar to the 380, it is worth a serious look.

• Upvote 1

Bad, you mean the 43? or am i mixing up my Glock numbers?

I have been at the range 4 times with the PF-9, and honestly, this last time, I didn't notice the recoil a bit.  I DO have a pronounced flinch from it though.  I literally dipped the barrel down and left so severely that I caught myself doing it before i got the round off...

The result (for me) was that m y first shot is decent, then i anticipate the recoil on the second shot and drop it waaaaay low, then i realize what I'm doing and I'm fine on the next 6 shots, and the mag is empty.  I literally put 7/8 into the head of the bad guy, and dropped the second shot into his elbow.

I believe that more consistent shooting (1-2 times a month) will remedy that.  I'm also planning to pick up a M&P 22 so that I get a lot of recoil-free shots in, and then sort of forget that the 9mm snaps more.

I believe that more consistent shooting (1-2 times a month) will remedy that.

Dry fire it everyday 15 or 20 times. Your mind will train itself to think nothing happens when you pull the trigger.  Double up your ear protection, ear plugs with muffs over the top.  And last have someone randomly load your gun with snap caps, so you don't know when click vs bang is coming.  I had it bad a couple of years ago, it took all of the above and some time to get rid of it.

I was led to believe that's bad for it...

Used to be true, back in the old days.  Not a problem with modern weapons.   From the FAQ on their website:

Yes. All Ruger pistols can be dry fired without damage, and dry firing can be useful to familiarize the owner with the firearm. However, be sure any firearm is completely unloaded before dry firing!

But if you are still concerned, buy some snap caps and use them when dry firing.

I purposely didn't use the number because I can never remember it :lol:

The 43 is no pocket gun, although the LCP truly is. The LC9s is a great shooter as well as a great deep conceal pistol, and the new Glock 43 is the smallest and most compact Glock yet.

The 43 is no pocket gun, although the LCP truly is. The LC9s is a great shooter as well as a great deep conceal pistol, and the new Glock 43 is the smallest and most compact Glock yet.

+1.  I have the LCP (super small) and a Kahr CM9 (lightweight velocity), as well as a G26 (reliability and capacity) and a CM45 (big holes).  I LOVE the 2nd gen LCP for its pocketable size, 6+1 capacity and powerful-enough defensive load-out with Critical Defense ammo.  It has been 100% reliable across several hundred rounds of all kinds, and I can regularly make 4" groups at 25' even with single-handed shooting.  If you get one, consider a pinned Hogue grip sleeve - it doesn't add more than an oz, no perceivable carry width and it really improves grip purchase.  If you only get ONE holster, consider the DeSantis Nemesis as both a pocket sleeve and as an IWB tuck - it'll stay put great and hides nicely even with just a t-shirt, pants and a belt - perfect for summer carry.  Unlike everyone else, I don't mind shooting the LCP at the range - maybe it's the Hogue grip.

The CM9 is several oz heavier than the LCP and just about the LC9S' and G43's weights.  I think mine measures 18.5 oz loaded, which is 6 oz lighter than my G26 and CM45 and a little lighter than the XDS9 and M&P9, which are also stellar guns.  The CM9 is a very well-made gun but requires a good 200 rounds (and/or lots of racking and dry firing at home) to break in the spring.  If you have big pockets or baggy clothes, you COULD barely pocket-carry the CM9, LC9s or G43, but to me that would be pushing it, especially since there are so many great holstering options available otherwise.  When I got my CM9, I looked hard at the LC9S, G43, PF9, XDS9 and M&P9SC and honestly would have been delighted with any one of them, but I scored a great deal on a used Kahr, so went with it.

So, when would one carry an LCP, CM9, G26 or CM45?  Admittedly I have some overlap and may shake my collection up at some point, but I like the LCP when size and weight is paramount.  The G26 gets rotation when I don't mind its weight because 10+1 of 9mm in a reliable package is a comfort all its own, and it's also a darned great home defense pistol with a 15+1 G19 magazine.  The CM9 (or G43/LC9S/PF9) fills a sweet spot in-between when you still need concealability and light weight but want the horsepower of 9mm, like in the winter when everyone is wearing extra layers.  Sometimes I'll take the CM45 for a walk because 5+1 .45 acp rounds are no slouch either.

• Upvote 1

Really not much in to guns cause I spend my shooting time shooting stick bows and wood arrows.....but I love my LCP, it is either in my front pocket, back pocket or coat pocket spring, summer, fall or winter where every I go.  Just to easy to carry that sometimes you forget you have it on you. I just shoot it every couple of weeks or so to keep all the parts moving and lubed. Great little carry gun, pray to God I never have to use it.

• Upvote 1

I carry my LCP almost every day. Alternative carry is my M&P Shield 9mm. Buy a couple of 7 shot mags for the LCP and it's much easier to hold onto than the 6 shot it comes with from factory.

Like Cuz said, the LCP is great to carry. Front pants pocket in a pocket holster and also fits in my MC jacket pocket nicely. Also have OWB holsters for both. The Shield shoots a lot better but the LCP is much easier to conceal.

Fin Feather & Fur always has the best prices on both.

+1 on the Hogue pinned grip. Greatly improves handling.

Edited by Wahoo

I was not a fan of the S&W Bodyguard in the semi automatic version.  The ergonomics were odd on the grip and the angle of it. Very odd.  Lots of problems with the early versions, so be careful buying it used. Now, the 38 special revolver edition is one of my favs and what I carry.

Whats the 4th?

I've owned many.  Of the ones I still own, these have never had a malfunction of any kind.

S&W BG380

S&W Sigma 9VE - This one has had 4 or 5 thousand rounds through it.

S&W M&P 9

Kahr CW9

I'm selling the Kahr if anyone is looking.

Edited by Tpoppa

Put me on the list of people who didn't love the bodyguard 380.  I shot it back-to-back with and LCP at the range, and the LCP just suits me better. I can't say that it's a better firearm, but for me, the LCP was more forgiving.  YMMV.

I had several feed and eject issues with my LCP. I sent it back to Ruger and has worked reliably since. Those past issues do still cause me to question the reliability of the gun a bit.

That being said, I continue to carry it because I find that no matter how much more confident I am in my G19, I just do not end up carrying it because its heavy and more difficult to conceal. As I've heard multiple times, the best gun to carry is the one you will actually have on you when/if the need arises. The LCP is SO easy to carry that there is no excuse to leave it behind (unless I'm going somewhere I can't have it). basketball shorts, sweatpants, jeans, slacks. Easy to conceal no matter what you wear.

• Upvote 1