Track Days at Mid-Ohio QUESTIONS

R1Limited

I was reading on Mid Ohio's website about some of the requirements,

Do you guys have your own leathers and back protectors- or just rent??

Seems silly to buy all that gear if only going to a couple of track days.

Also i was reading another post about starting in Novice/ Intermediate- I've never done a track event, but consider myself an intermediate rider. Is it going to be boring starting in the Novice section? I'd hate to spend $200 bucks and not be challenged.

Ofcourse the full time track guys will be the best for this tread, but I had to chime in dude. I have a full 2 piece suit and wear it all the time I'm out riding the countryside. I was tearing it up with a buddy of mine yesterday and we were hitting the twisties and straights with full leathers man. Dress for the crash bro. Just putting around, I wear it all, but the pants. Once in awhile I'll squid it up with just a t-shirt, RARE though.

Oh, the track is NOTHING like the street. I was thinking the same thing man. But, you get in that NOVICE in the 1st group and you will see it will work you hard and be challenging for the 1st time at the track. I was in NOVICE in the 1st group and my tires were melted on the edges after the first 30minutes! Novice bro, novice. :)

Well said about the gear thing. However, if you don't have a two piece suit, you can rent from STT. You need to go to www.sportbiketracktime.com and look around. Not sure where it is...

As far as ability goes, what you choose is what you FEEL is right for you. We are always moving riders around due to the fact that we have a self evaluation process. In self evaluation, we get a lot of riders who think they are better than they really are. So, we move them down. We also get riders who are better than they think they are and move them up.

So, my suggestion to you is that if you feel you are an intermediate rider on the street, you are a novice track rider. Typically, we put new track riders in Novice group. Track riding is nothing like street riding with exception to aggressive canyon riding or very twisty roads... The applications are similar, but the speeds and input you use on the track is at a much higher pace...

Go sign up for Novice and if you are blazing through the sessions, we'll move you up.

Make sure you get into Group 1 or 2 in Novice if you feel you are boarderline...

yeah novice is the way to go with your first trackday, just because they call it novice doesnt mean it is filled with novice riders. Like lizard said there is a big difference between street and track. The novice instructors will help you learn the track at your pace. And trust me groups 1&2 in novice are going to be fast enough for you

Example the guy I started learning twisties from had ridden for 20+ years and was dang fast on the street.

His first trackday at Putnam he was done after the 2nd session after lunch (5th session) as the mental stamina is usually the first thing that goes.

on the street you get 2-5 minutes of adrenaline, on the track it is full 20 minutes and this wears most new riders out faster then physical effort.

Example the guy I started learning twisties from had ridden for 20+ years and was dang fast on the street.

His first trackday at Putnam he was done after the 2nd session after lunch (5th session) as the mental stamina is usually the first thing that goes.

on the street you get 2-5 minutes of adrenaline, on the track it is full 20 minutes and this wears most new riders out faster then physical effort.

HAHA.. I finally managed to run all sessions last time... :) woohooo for me.. Of course it was alot more fun not having to fight the bike through everything.. I was actually having a good time as opposed to fighting a crash like the other times up there with the shitty suspension and warped rotors. .

what's wrong with bareback? :confused:

Nothing, I guess... Hope you have some Gold Bond around for chafing..

I run a pair of bicycle shorts and a rash guard or Under Armor top - prefer long sleeves.

After riding a whole day, the interior jersey material sticks to your sweat and makes it pretty difficult to remove the suit... My destroyed shoulders make it hard enough - sticking liners don't help...

So speaking of track days. Is anyone going on a track day AFTER June 8th. That's when I graduate and have NO time on w/e's until then. I have a trailer hitch on my SUV and I think I'm gonna take Yota's advice and just rent a trailor for my first time out to see if I really like it. If I do then I'll get me an enclosed trailor. Anyhoo, if anyone is going up to one of STT track days please let me know so I can tag along. There is only one other female (that I know) that does track days and I've asked her several times to go with me but it consistently falls on deaf ears. Thus, I will do the usual and tag along with the boys IF anyone will have me. lol. If anyone has any dates set up...Just shoot me a PM.....

Nothing, I guess... Hope you have some Gold Bond around for chafing..

I run a pair of bicycle shorts and a rash guard or Under Armor top - prefer long sleeves.

After riding a whole day, the interior jersey material sticks to your sweat and makes it pretty difficult to remove the suit... My destroyed shoulders make it hard enough - sticking liners don't help...

My exhusband had this really queer lookin (no offense) thing that looked like something from outerspace. lol. It was very thin and mad out of a material similiar to what nike makes with their dri fit. It was $150 just for that but it did keep the sweat off his skin. He got it through a vendor at one of the wera races. But beware b/c when he went down and got injured they put him in c-spine precautions and had to go into the ED with that crap on. It was the laugh of the day for the ED staff.

Another good thing about the under liners is that allows the suit to move around you a bit.

My one lowside crash in KY the only mark I had on me was on my elbow from my arm moving inside the jacket and the jacket ripped the top few layers of skin off (just like a strawberry sliding into a base playing baseball). The Jacket barely had a mark on it on the outside.

So speaking of track days. Is anyone going on a track day AFTER June 8th. That's when I graduate and have NO time on w/e's until then. I have a trailer hitch on my SUV and I think I'm gonna take Yota's advice and just rent a trailor for my first time out to see if I really like it. If I do then I'll get me an enclosed trailor. Anyhoo, if anyone is going up to one of STT track days please let me know so I can tag along. There is only one other female (that I know) that does track days and I've asked her several times to go with me but it consistently falls on deaf ears. Thus, I will do the usual and tag along with the boys IF anyone will have me. lol. If anyone has any dates set up...Just shoot me a PM.....

Gsxrnurse will go with you..

where do you go to school?

i, like yourself, cant do trackdays until after that same date (i have a feeling we both go to OSU...) but id be willing to tag along with anyone, i dont really have a car or anything like that to take my bike to a track.

i plan on going with sportbike tracktime sometime after june maybe july. how many bikes can a "rent-a-trailer" hold?