Sportbike touring tips

Casper

3 hours ago, 2talltim said:

I hate having a tank bag in front of me. I like to be able to rest my elbows on the tank every now and then. Now my bike has a little storage box on the front of the tank for little things, but it dosnt hold much.

That's because you have a drink holder. Tank bags rule. I keep a water blatter and snacks in mine. It minimizes stops to either bathroom break or refueling.

That's because you have a drink holder. Tank bags rule. I keep a water blatter and snacks in mine. It minimizes stops to either bathroom break or refueling.

Don't think I've used my drink holder since sorebutt trip. I keep snacks in the large front pockets of my touring jacket. I do remember your carrots going down the road...lol

One I like to lean on my tank via my elbows and two I hate fucking with a bag when I get fuel.

2 hours ago, 2talltim said:

Magnetic ones are even worse in my opinion. It only takes one little metal shaving between the bag and tank for your paint job to have a bad day. 

I defy you to find a single mark on the VFR tank from my magnetic tank bag. It was used on pretty much every ride I took over 50 miles and any time 2 up

Edited by Bad324

I defy you to find a single mark on the VFR tank from my magnetic tank bag. It was used on pretty much every ride I took over 50 miles and any time 2 up

Different story when your touring in all kinds of conditions and taking it on and off several times a day.

1 hour ago, 2talltim said:

Different story when your touring in all kinds of conditions and taking it on and off several times a day.

Yes I even did that back in my hey day believe it or not. Got caught in rain and even snow flurries twice. Didn't make it a point to deal with rain and hated every minute of it but it happened 

Had a magnetic one.  Picked up a nice sized metal shaving from the garage, it didn't do too much damage, but I caught it quick and my bike was far from pristine.  If I had a mint bike, I don't think I'd be able to use one after my experience.  With a bike that I have to ride, I'd probably risk it for the convenience factor.  water bladder in a mylar freezer bag(fill half full and freeze the night before, fill with water & place in freezer bag = 10 hrs of cold water....buy drinks, but sip from the bladder), snacks, phone & charger hooked to 12v, map, some basic tools, you can fit a lot in one of those bags.

Just popped in my head, the should make little metal "covers" for the magnets when not in use.  Would prevent most stuff sticking and would also force the rider to inspect before installing, which would prevent a lot of the issue.

My only tank bag has been the fuel ring locking type (BMW had a plastic tank, transferred it to the FJR) and I love it. It comes off fast and doesn't touch the tank. I like to empty my pockets and carry a drink and hat, and that's about all it holds.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, JustinNck1 said:

My only tank bag has been the fuel ring locking type (BMW had a plastic tank, transferred it to the FJR) and I love it. It comes off fast and doesn't touch the tank. I like to empty my pockets and carry a drink and hat, and that's about all it holds.

Always wanted one of those but too cheap to move on from my $20 one