Traveling to Florida

nautical1

So later this year my wife and 1.5 year old are planning to head to the West Palm Beach area for a week. I don't mind driving so I suggested we just leave a day early and arrive a day later with rests once and awhile for our son. She on the other hand would rather fly and just get a rental car instead.

So for those who have travelled to Florida, did you drive or fly and would you do the same thing or something else if you did it again? I'm sure the drive sucks taking basically I-95 all the way and being on the road for around 17 hours, but is it worth it to save flight costs plus a rental car?

Fly and take Jet Blue. My dad lives 45 mins from West Palm and just flew in and out last week for like $100

He's also taken Frontier but he liked the Jet Blue experience better. He drives down in the fall and back in the spring but comes back to CLE a time or two every winter for various events.

The drive down sucks and would plan on it being a lot more like 20 or so hours to that area

Edited by Bad324

The only flights I saw from JetBlue had a layover and was more expensive then several other places. If we didn't have my son I wouldn't mind the layover but I really don't wanna try and get through Atlanta or LaGuardia with him. Did it before and it sucks..

5 minutes ago, Tonik said:

Fly CLE to Fort Lauderdale, rent the car there.  Lots of non-stops and only an hour drive after you land.

I am an f'ing genius.

I'm an idiot, he did say he flew in to Lauderdale

I am flying into Ft Lauderdale end of this month for a cruise out of Miami...Flights through SouthWest were very reasonable compared to the pricing of flying into Miami.

I figured we'd probably fly into Orlando or Fort Lauderdale since like said, West Palm Beach is more expensive. Briefly looking, it seems like flights will be around $800 round trip after taxes and expenses. Then we just have to find a place we want to rent a car from.

Wife and I have driven to the space coast and Tampa. 

When end we drove to space coast we left at 6pm on a Friday drove 5 hours to Wytheville, then drove the remaining 14 hours the next day.

when we drove to tampa we drove 10 hours spent the night at my aunts. 

I hate flying and would much rather drive, but will never attempt Anyang longer than 12 hours, the 14 hours was almost the death of me.

the worst was Charleston to Akron with a pregnant wife that had to puke every 30 minutes and me who had just gotten over a case of food poisoning that left me puking and shitting for 24 hours....

2 hours ago, dustinsn3485 said:

Allegiant airlines. By far the cheapest flight travel to anywhere in Florida.

Only available flights are on Sundays in late afternoon. 

After looking around some more and getting some rates it actually looks like flying would cost the same if not a little less when I factor taking a day or two off for driving. So flying will probably be the route we go. I appreciate all the input from everyone.

Few years ago, I drove to cocoa beach. Coming out of dayton, we took 35 to 64 to I believe 77. Ran down through the carolinas. I hate being in Georgia for 8 hours on i75.  Wasn't a bad trip by any means but still a long way. We drove straight through coming home. I believe it took 23 hours.   

Being in a similar position with a 1.5 year old. I would fly,hands down, just to not have to deal with the meltdowns of crying, that is surely to happen, keeping a kid in the car that long. 

Yeah we drove 12 hours to the Outer Banks last year with him and it wasn't too bad except for a few moments, but that's expected. But if things go really well then we'll eventually have to make the drive to Florida with him, although it'll hopefully be one way. 

I'll be driving to Destin, FL in 10 weeks and it will be done in 3 stops just like most of my trips down that way. We have drove to Daytona, Tampa and New Orleans a couple times this way. I leave with a full tank and will stop somewhere around a half tank for a potty break. Then the next stop (near Empty) will be for fuel and food. Then again I will stop around a half tank for another potty break and the wife's car can go about 550 miles on a tank of gas so 2 tanks gets us there. This is they way I've done it for year s and my family is used to it and knows dad does not stop for nothing. Now keep in mind I also usually lave around midnight and half the trip they are all sleeping too.

I've thought about driving through the night but can't seem to get enough sleep prior to comfortably drive for 10+ hours. So the last road trip we just left after work and stopped at a hotel when we got tired. That way we could get up, eat breakfast and not rush getting to our destination if we weren't too far. Plus it doesn't throw your sleep off.